Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2007, 08:51 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We have decided to install the Trailair air pin box and the center point on our Cardinal. Can you provide pricing experience or best source to procure these items. The Center Point is some type of air shock that installs between the tires on the frame. (This is a technically ignorant female here so bear with the description please)

The Trailair web page suggested price is $975 for the center point and $804 for the air pin box.

Have you done better?

Thanks so much for your help, Nancy

ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2007, 08:51 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We have decided to install the Trailair air pin box and the center point on our Cardinal. Can you provide pricing experience or best source to procure these items. The Center Point is some type of air shock that installs between the tires on the frame. (This is a technically ignorant female here so bear with the description please)

The Trailair web page suggested price is $975 for the center point and $804 for the air pin box.

Have you done better?

Thanks so much for your help, Nancy

Old 07-18-2007, 09:48 AM   #3

Heartland RV Club
Hi Nancy,
I have the Trailair Pinbox and really like it. I also have the newer Equaflex suppension on our Bighorn 5er. I think the Equaflex is a lot less expensive than the Center Point and needs no air. Both units are easy installs if you have a little mechanical skill.

Check your PM's

Jim
Old 07-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Thanks Jimtoo, I was able to purchase the pinbox from my OEM, Forest River for a total savings of $239 over Trailair's price. But have not heard of the Equaflex. Our rig has shock absorbers and we may just try it without any addition to the trailer frame until we see how it rides with just the modification to the pin box.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:28 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I decided to purchase the Equaflex system after reading Jimtoo's post. I am really looking forward to an improved ride. Some streaches of road are so bumpy that I have a backache at the end of the day. Especially I-95 in South Carolina.

Nancy
Old 07-24-2007, 05:11 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Dear husband installed the Equaflex shackle today. The main difference is the addition of rubber in lieu of a full metal shackle and brass bushings instead of plastic. Also the Equaflex has greasable bolts. (Zwerk fittings). We will be camping this weekend but only about 50 miles from home so we might see if there is any difference in the rig. The Trailair pinbox has not arrived yet. I think the pinbox will make the most significant change.

The plastic bushings were worn out, but the rig does have about 25,000 miles on it.
N
Old 09-28-2007, 09:28 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We just completed a 5,482 mile trip to Canada (Nova Scotia, Prince Edward, New Brunswick). The Trail Air pinbox made a slight difference in towing. When driving on good smooth roads there never was a problem. On a bad road with lots of uneven repairs and expansion joints the jolting is the same as ever. In New Jersey we were beat to death on I-287. In Canada the main roads were ok, but if you get off a major highway you get constant jolting from the filled potholes. They do not smooth out the edges of the repairs. We even took a picture to show folks back home the road conditions.

The point to the whole thread is that it is not the rig nor the brand of shock absorbers as much as the condition of the roads. Installing the best shock absorbers on the truck and camper and some improvements to the camper suspension is all we have control over.

Or buy a motor home with airbags.
Nancy
Old 10-24-2007, 06:53 PM   #8

We had a Trail-Air put on by Campng World in 02, after our first cross country trip. I-80 made me sick with all the lurching and bouncing. The Trail-aire made all the difference in the world. We are fans!

our furry friends "Mac" and "Sadie" <><
Gedanme is offline   Reply With Quote