Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #1

Need to remove slide out.

As title says I need to remove slide out. Anyone want to give advice? Or tell me where I can get some info.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #2

Here's a link to some info on how we did it. Don't know if it will help but it can't hurt:

Alumascape slide removal

liz
Old 02-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyLA View Post
Here's a link to some info on how we did it. Don't know if it will help but it can't hurt:

Alumascape slide removal

liz
WOW! Incredible, very interesting, to see the slide removed and all....
Old 02-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #4

Not sure of what type camper you have, but I have looked at my rig from time to time and have decided that if I ever need to remove a slide: I would remove everything I could from the slide (Couch, table, booth ectttt. I would then remove the interior trim. I would set the rig level as possable, build a saw horse type stand at the slide level out side, remove any awning connection to the slide and then extend the slide enough to remove any electrical, plumbing connections then the attaching/sliding hardware besure to mark all connections and scrib where the mounts go for easy replacement. With the help of some good strong friends I would then pull the slide out from the body and secure it on the bench you have made. They do it that way at the rv shops, but they use a fork lift becaues most of the time they do not remove the heavy stuff. Not sure this will do it in your case, but just my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps
Old 02-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffminsc View Post
As title says I need to remove slide out. Anyone want to give advice? Or tell me where I can get some info.
Just curious Jeff, why do you have to remove your slideout?

Kent
Old 02-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #6

Lincolnboy2,

I was impressed! I wouldn't have had a clue what to do.

We've built a pole barn for the FW and a utility shed to hold the generators, water tank, tools, and other stuff; now we're working on the deck behind the FW and then there will be the extension on the side; then we're going to put a weir in our little brook/creek.

I am not a handy person but my SO is a lot like McGyver.

liz
Old 02-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #7

Need to fix floor that is right in front of slide out.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Normally you can lift the front of the slide out enough to replace the flooring using a small jack. If it's the subfloor you may in fact need to remove the slide, just depends on how much work needs to be done.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyLA View Post
Lincolnboy2,

I was impressed! I wouldn't have had a clue what to do.

We've built a pole barn for the FW and a utility shed to hold the generators, water tank, tools, and other stuff; now we're working on the deck behind the FW and then there will be the extension on the side; then we're going to put a weir in our little brook/creek.

I am not a handy person but my SO is a lot like McGyver.

liz
I need one of those SO like McGyver! Good one! If I werent so scared of heights!!
Old 02-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Need to fix floor that is right in front of slide out.
I see.

Well, I want to replace my carpet. The carpet around the driver's chair and the hump is sun damaged and by the accelerator pedal the carpet is coming up kind of along the edge, you can see the tack strip.

In time......in the mean time, I'm collecting as much info as possible about it.

Kent
Old 02-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #11

I think I have a plan of attack. I've got to get my shop cleaned up so I can get it in. I'll take pictures and keep you up updated on how I do it. Not saying that I'll do it the best way or only way but hopefully some one can learn from me. How to or how not to. Thanks for the quick response.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #12

My carpet was held down with staples. I was reinstalling laminant flooring. I just yanked the carpet and fasioned a tool to drive the staples out from under the slide. Laid the laminant floor.
oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I think I have a plan of attack. I've got to get my shop cleaned up so I can get it in. I'll take pictures and keep you up updated on how I do it. Not saying that I'll do it the best way or only way but hopefully some one can learn from me. How to or how not to. Thanks for the quick response.
Appreciate the pictures and updates coming, Jeff.