Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamvir View Post

And I would agree with you - whatever makes you happy is what you "need". Everyone is different and has differernt needs and wants. Since DW has had a lot of medical problems, I want her to be as comfortable as possible.

Jim
I would agree that you need what makes you happy. For us we wanted a small 5er so we could go to the places we saw and liked that big trailers can't fit.. We aren't full timers, but we have small children and DW was too scared to go camping in tents with small children (afraid of bears). So again I think you will get many differing opinions on what a want is vs. what is a need. In the end that will be up to you and yours. I try to keep it simple.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #16

Everyone "needs" to have something they "want." It keeps you going, keeps the old ticker pumping and looking forward to next adventure.

I remember when I thought I was "big time" when we put air mattress inside the leaking tent. what could be better than that?

Old 05-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #17

I krow all you FT's now this, that have the Stackable washer/dryer. The needs or want question. Just remember the all-in-one machine in runs off 110v, (like the stackable) instead of 240v in your stick house. Means limited laundry load you can do at one time, it takes awhile to do a load. If your retired no problem. Just a reminder for the new members.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by flcountryboy View Post
Everyone "needs" to have something they "want." It keeps you going, keeps the old ticker pumping and looking forward to next adventure.

I remember when I thought I was "big time" when we put air mattress inside the leaking tent. what could be better than that?
Oh yes amen. Hilarious how time changes what we think is luxury! I remember sleeping in our tiny pop when the kids were small and every time someone moved the entire thing shook and we all woke up. We froze in winter and died from the heat in summer and loved it! Now we have a camper that costs almost what we paid for our first house. But we enjoy the heck out of and never want to stay in a hotel anymore. Camper is way too nice and adventures are plentiful.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexandLinda View Post
2 Honda 2000 generators - Agree, but not sure how to hook up two, or would it be better for one bigger.
Bigger is too heavy for an old man to handle. The Honda EU2000i is about 50 pounds wet, so I can get it into and out of the basement of the 5er. The bigger EU3000i is 134 pounds, which is too heavy for an old man to easily handle. And my EM5,000S Honda (not an inverter) is 232 pounds, so I don't have a prayer of man-handling that one.

Honda makes two slightly different models of the EU2000i. One is the ordinary $999 generator that is handy as can be for use around the house/farm/ranch/campground. The second is the $1099 "companion" that has a 30-amp RV outlet, so you can plug your RV directly into it. And these two small generators can be tied together with a special Honda cord that makes them parallel to produce 3,200 watts continuous or 4,000 watts surge (to help start an AC for example).

And you can buy the two EU2000i generators and the expensive parallel cord as a package. Here's one popular discount source:
Honda EU2000i Parallel Combo Package Generators WiseSales.com

You cannot hook just any two generators together parallel. They must be designed to be hooked up parallel. So if I need for some reason to use both my EU2000i and EM5000S at the same time, they cannot be tied together to produce more than the 5000 watts of the EM5000S.

That 3,200 watts is not enough to run everything at once, but it will run one 13,500 or 15,000 BTU AC, lights, TV and power supply/battery charger at the same time. If you don't want DW griping about not being able to run the hair dryer, microwave, coffee maker, toaster and AC at the same time, then you need my electric-start EM5000S. 5000 watts continuous or 7000 watts surge. Electric start because I don't have the strength to start a 5,000-watt generator with a recoil starter. But you probably won't be hauling it in the basement - it's too darn heavy and bulky to get it in there. I usually haul it on a cargo carrier plugged into a receiver hitch on the back of the 5er. For several years when dry-camping at Texas Motor Speedway, I hauled it and extra gasoline (along with a handicap scooter) in a trailer hitched to the back of the 5er.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Thanks this helps a lot.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #21

Needs:
Me: Roof over head, dogs, food and place to keep it cool.

DW: A/C, central vac, king sized bed, home sized shower, cup holders, lazy chair, big screen TV, skylight, large fridge, larger bathroom with BIG mirror, ice maker, room for grandkids and a bunch of other stuff. I am willing to compromise.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
Needs:
Me: Roof over head, dogs, food and place to keep it cool.

DW: A/C, central vac, king sized bed, home sized shower, cup holders, lazy chair, big screen TV, skylight, large fridge, larger bathroom with BIG mirror, ice maker, room for grandkids and a bunch of other stuff. I am willing to compromise.
Questionable: DW needs- TV (Large Screen?) - Ice maker? - the rest ok

But what gets me is I am the one looking for larger fridge, bath and shower.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #23

As stated above needs change with age, married for 44 years RVed for 41 of those years, needs and wants over the years driven by DW acquiesced by DH, started in 1972 (tent days).

She drove everything we owned, I was happy to sleep through it.

And the latest.

She drives that one too.

hjs
Old 05-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjsdds View Post
As stated above needs change with age, married for 44 years RVed for 41 of those years, needs and wants over the years driven by DW acquiesced by DH, started in 1972 (tent days).

She drove everything we owned, I was happy to sleep through it.

And the latest.

She drives that one too.

hjs
ONG you made our day! This is hilarious. My DH is saying "well it's the truth". DWs rule!!!
Old 05-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #25

docnprincess, not only does she drives the big beast,

she can also multitask while doing so.

But she was always "one" with machinery whether grounded,

or not.

I on the other hand also enjoy culinary adventures.

Having passed through the pearly gates I felt I needed to sample.

hjs