Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #1

Talking Need vs Want in a 5th wheel

Here is a definition I found for Need:
In actuality, you only need four things to survive:
A roof over your head
Enough food and water to maintain your health
Basic health care and hygiene products
Clothing (just what you need to remain comfortable and appropriately dressed)
Everything that goes beyond this – a big house, name-brand clothes, fancy foods and drinks, a new car – is a want.

But here is where I think a little different. What is a want may make my need last longer and return a better sale/trade value.

So the question is do I get the ice maker(want) and it will make my life easier and have a plus to my sale/trade value making it a "need"?

What are some of the items you see as a "need(want)" in a 5th wheel?
TexandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #2

Full size bathroom. I have to stoop down to wash hair. Barely able to turn around to rinse. Would love full size shower.
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwells4654 View Post
Full size bathroom. I have to stoop down to wash hair. Barely able to turn around to rinse. Would love full size shower.
good point, as we go to each trailer to look at it, I step in the shower and close the door to see the difficulty it will be. I actually bring my hands up to wash my balding head and see if I fit!
Old 05-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #4

The 30"X60" shower in my Columbus was a big selling point. Did I need it? No. Did I want it? Yes.
Besides, one of my major "wants" is, I want to keep DW happy, and I need to keep her happy.
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #5

• Bedroom slide - want to be able to walk around the bed standing up.
  • Residential refrigerator - they are much more energy efficient now, so you can run one from 2 good batteries all day + (If you are connected to shore power you don't have to worry about running down your batteries). Less expensive and generally more trouble-freen than an RV frig.
  • 2400 Watt inverter - to supply AC to the residential frig, and also the tv and computer when we aren't connected to shore power
  • 4 6-volt batteries - to supply our electrical needs while boondocking
  • EMS (Electrical Management System) to provide protection for our electrical equipment against power surges, drops, or low power conditions.
  • 2 Honda 2000 generators - for charging the batteries and when running both in parallel will handle an A/C unit +.
  • 2 A/C units - when we retire and full-time. Then our "house" will be comfortable for the times the temp and humidity are high (yes, this even happens in the northland).
  • Heat pumps in the A/C units - supply heat without burning propane down to about 40 degrees outside temp.
  • 50 amp service
  • Big Foot Hydraulic auto level system - so I don't have to level the rig using boards.
  • Mor Ryde IS Suspension System - smoother ride for the 5er and no axle problems.
  • "H" tires - can carry more weight - less chance of blowout
  • Disc brakes - much better for stopping
  • MCD see thru and privacy window shades - much better than the standard day/night shades, and fewer problems.
  • Electric Fireplace - great for ambience
  • SeeLevel Monitor System for the fresh water and waste tanks - work better than the "standard" system.
  • Stackable washer and dryer - don't have to find a laundromat or worry about what was washed in the last load.
  • External antenna and booster for cell/data signal
  • TV Satellite antenna and receiver
  • Fantastic Fan or MaxAir Vent
Don't need
  • Automatic ice maker in frig - can make cubes the old fashioned way; one less water line to be concerned with developing a leak.
  • Dish Washer - if we have so much to do that we don't have time to wash them ourselves, then we can use paper. Dishwasher takes up extra space.
These are some of the "musts" for our next rig, for when we full-time. I know there's more, but my CRS has kicked in.

Jim
Old 05-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #6

Need DW to be happy - that is it.

I want whatever she wants.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #7

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Need DW to be happy - that is it.

I want whatever she wants.
We are going on 26 years you and DW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamvir View Post
  • Bedroom slide - want to be able to walk around the bed standing up.
    The only one with Bedroom Slides that me and the wife agree on is FL's (Front Living)
  • Residential refrigerator - Agree
  • 2400 Watt inverter - Agree
  • 4 6-volt batteries - Agree
  • EMS (Electrical Management System) - Agree
  • 2 Honda 2000 generators - Agree, but not sure how to hook up two, or would it be better for one bigger.
  • 2 A/C units - Agree
  • Heat pumps in the A/C units - Agree
  • 50 amp service - Agree
  • Big Foot Hydraulic auto level system - Agree, question on big foot?
  • Mor Ryde IS Suspension System - Agree, need smoother ride, Mor Ryde?
  • "H" tires - Agree
  • Disc brakes - Agree
  • MCD see thru and privacy window shades - Don't know what this is?
  • Electric Fireplace - Agree, they do put off heat too?
  • SeeLevel Monitor System for the fresh water and waste tanks - Don't know what this is?
  • Stackable washer and dryer - They have one that is all-in-one machine... Splendid
  • External antenna and booster for cell/data signal - Still learning on this?
  • TV Satellite antenna and receiverIs TV important?
  • Fantastic Fan or MaxAir Vent - Don't know what this is?
Don't need
  • Automatic ice maker in frig - can make cubes the old fashioned way; one less water line to be concerned with developing a leak. OK
  • Dish Washer - if we have so much to do that we don't have time to wash them ourselves, then we can use paper. Dishwasher takes up extra space. Agree
These are some of the "musts" for our next rig, for when we full-time. I know there's more, but my CRS has kicked in.

Jim
Old 05-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #8

For full-timing we would add (and did in our newest rig)
Surge protector
Water flow meter/Regulator
Propane tank gauge
Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Good compact air compressor & 50' of hose
Flush Master for those "can't get any other way" clogs
GPS system
More bookshelf space (We are not TV people)
Hands free telephone
Electric Fireplace
Ducted AC
Roadside Assistance
Club memberships
Trucker's Atlas

All are wants that can sometimes become very important needs at those particular times on that road somewhere way out in the country.
Oh, and the Keurig that has become a need with us.
AdirondackJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamvir View Post
[*]Bedroom slide - want to be able to walk around the bed standing up.[*]Residential refrigerator - they are much more energy efficient now, so you can run one from 2 good batteries all day + (If you are connected to shore power you don't have to worry about running down your batteries). Less expensive and generally more trouble-freen than an RV frig.[*]2400 Watt inverter - to supply AC to the residential frig, and also the tv and computer when we aren't connected to shore power[*]4 6-volt batteries - to supply our electrical needs while boondocking[*]EMS (Electrical Management System) to provide protection for our electrical equipment against power surges, drops, or low power conditions.[*]2 Honda 2000 generators - for charging the batteries and when running both in parallel will handle an A/C unit +.[*]2 A/C units - when we retire and full-time. Then our "house" will be comfortable for the times the temp and humidity are high (yes, this even happens in the northland).[*]Heat pumps in the A/C units - supply heat without burning propane down to about 40 degrees outside temp.[*]50 amp service[*]Big Foot Hydraulic auto level system - so I don't have to level the rig using boards.[*]Mor Ryde IS Suspension System - smoother ride for the 5er and no axle problems.[*]"H" tires - can carry more weight - less chance of blowout[*]Disc brakes - much better for stopping[*]MCD see thru and privacy window shades - much better than the standard day/night shades, and fewer problems.[*]Electric Fireplace - great for ambience[*]SeeLevel Monitor System for the fresh water and waste tanks - work better than the "standard" system.[*]Stackable washer and dryer - don't have to find a laundromat or worry about what was washed in the last load.[*]External antenna and booster for cell/data signal[*]TV Satellite antenna and receiver[*]Fantastic Fan or MaxAir Vent
Don't need
[*]Automatic ice maker in frig - can make cubes the old fashioned way; one less water line to be concerned with developing a leak.[*]Dish Washer - if we have so much to do that we don't have time to wash them ourselves, then we can use paper. Dishwasher takes up extra space.

Jim
We have none on the list and for the last 8 years we have been happy full timers. No wonder one needs a huge truck to tow. That list must weight 2000lbs.
We do have our all in one splendid washer and boards that weight in at about 300lbs.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexandLinda View Post

I agree with list and will say on fireplace they are a must for us. In 5 years we have only used furnace a few times (we live in Ga) during winter camping because our fireplace does such an excellent job heating our 5er and our camper is 40 ft so not small. We are also goingntonsave up and get "cheap heat". It's an add on that allows you to run your heat off of electricity rather than gas. I thinking costs around 1,500. We def want that before we full time. Much cheaper to run. All best as you enjoy the search for the right home!.
docnprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
We have none on the list and for the last 8 years we have been happy full timers. No wonder one needs a huge truck to tow. That list must weight 2000lbs.
We do have our all in one splendid washer and boards that weight in at about 300lbs.
And I would agree with you - whatever makes you happy is what you "need". Everyone is different and has differernt needs and wants. Since DW has had a lot of medical problems, I want her to be as comfortable as possible.

Jim
Old 05-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexandLinda View Post

Bedroom slide - want to be able to walk around the bed standing up.
The only one with Bedroom Slides that me and the wife agree on is FL's (Front Living)
2 Honda 2000 generators - Agree, but not sure how to hook up two, or would it be better for one bigger.

Stackable washer and dryer - They have one that is all-in-one machine... Splendid
The floor plan you both like is one of the most important decisions. At this time there is only one manufacturer who is making the floor plan we like - Excel 38RDE (actually, they won't be making this one until this fall). NuWa was making a 5er with this floor plan, but they are no longer manufacturing. I think New Horizons would make one with this floor plan - we will be visiting their factory in June and will ask them.

I have a Honda 3000 now - got it so cheap I almost stole it - works great but weighs 150 lbs. Honda sells a parallel adapter cable to run 2 Honda 2000 generators together. I believe each one weighs about 70 pounds, so much easier to handle.

Yes, there are all-in-one units. The separate ones can do a little larger load, and you can be drying a load while you wash another. Some love their all-in-one machines, others hate them.

With some research, you will be able to answer your other questions - got ya thinnking, didn't I? You will have differnent "needs" than us - but it's better to be informed about all of the possibilities. And the research is fun.

Jim
Old 05-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #13

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Perceived needs seem to increase in direct proportion to one's age.

Now I wish I had a built-in roll-up reel for the 50 amp cord. The milk crate used to be fine. It just keeps getting heavier.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #14

And I remember when I was ecstatic to have a tent, a sleeping bag, and a Coleman lantern and stove. Those were the good ol' days

Jim