Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #15

B&W Chucking????

While I am a relative newcomer to posting here, I am not a newbie to the rv, fifth wheel or many truck forums. I must respectfully disagree with Cypress on the B&W chucking comment...while there may be someone somewhere that thinks his Companion is causing a "chucking" problem, the vast majority of Companion users report less of this annoying trait with their Companions. There are literally hundreds of threads across the internet forum world on B&W turnover Ball/Companion fifth wheel hitch...I can not think of any where chucking was an issue...most contain nothing but rave reviews

If you study the design of the Companion, it becomes apparent that this is a quality hitch. The very substantial locking jaws completely encircle the fiver kingpin. The hitchup is as close to foolproof, and quite easy to line up, as any hitch could be. It is virtually impossible to mis-hitch (high hitch) the fiver to the Companion. It's locking handle automatically closes when the fiver king pin is in the correct position. If you CAN put the safety pin in the locking handle when the fiver is in place...it is securely locked in the hitch...you can not install the lock pin unless the hitch is completely and correctly closed...and after it is closed...there is no play in the hookup to "Chuck"...

I have not used the Anderson product but if I was starting from square one with no hitch at all, it looks like an excellent option with a lower buy in price than the B&W Combo. The OP already has a goose neck ball setup so either the Anderson or the Companion will work well...JMO...YMMV

Regards

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
I had my tube framed 5 th wheel towed in PA by a tow truck with a GN adapter and only used the JBrakes on the truck.
Had to repair a failing front beam on my trailer the next summer. I could see the movement from the rear seat and told the driver to switch of the JB but he did not. I was also scared it was going to break right there. Set the trailer brakes right. Its not the pulling of the weight. Its the slowing down that gets scary.
What size and weight is your trailer? From what I've heard 30ft and under is fine if you have your brakes set right. Unless you have a trailer brand with a weaker hitch. There are people pulling 40fters with gooseneck adapters but they only do it a few times a year and don't go far. I pulled my 30ft Keystone cougar 276rls from ND to Las Vegas to Pheonix to San Diego and back to Las Vegas with zero issues so far. Heading back to ND in a week or so. I did not remove the white plastic covering the bottom of the trailer under the bedroom but I looked up through the hole where the hitch comes down and all the welds and everything look good under there.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post

What size and weight is your trailer? From what I've heard 30ft and under is fine if you have your brakes set right. Unless you have a trailer brand with a weaker hitch. There are people pulling 40fters with gooseneck adapters but they only do it a few times a year and don't go far. I pulled my 30ft Keystone cougar 276rls from ND to Las Vegas to Pheonix to San Diego and back to Las Vegas with zero issues so far. Heading back to ND in a week or so. I did not remove the white plastic covering the bottom of the trailer under the bedroom but I looked up through the hole where the hitch comes down and all the welds and everything look good under there.
It was a 34 ft Gold Falcon.
Did some engineering and the beam that failed was already loaded at the safe load using the Fifth wheel hitch. And since the GN adds more lateral loads it failed.
The major problem was using the jake brake.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricatic View Post
While I am a relative newcomer to posting here, I am not a newbie to the rv, fifth wheel or many truck forums. I must respectfully disagree with Cypress on the B&W chucking comment...while there may be someone somewhere that thinks his Companion is causing a "chucking" problem, the vast majority of Companion users report less of this annoying trait with their Companions. There are literally hundreds of threads across the internet forum world on B&W turnover Ball/Companion fifth wheel hitch...I can not think of any where chucking was an issue...most contain nothing but rave reviews

If you study the design of the Companion, it becomes apparent that this is a quality hitch. The very substantial locking jaws completely encircle the fiver kingpin. The hitchup is as close to foolproof, and quite easy to line up, as any hitch could be. It is virtually impossible to mis-hitch (high hitch) the fiver to the Companion. It's locking handle automatically closes when the fiver king pin is in the correct position. If you CAN put the safety pin in the locking handle when the fiver is in place...it is securely locked in the hitch...you can not install the lock pin unless the hitch is completely and correctly closed...and after it is closed...there is no play in the hookup to "Chuck"...

I have not used the Anderson product but if I was starting from square one with no hitch at all, it looks like an excellent option with a lower buy in price than the B&W Combo. The OP already has a goose neck ball setup so either the Anderson or the Companion will work well...JMO...YMMV

Regards
I admit, posting a "hear say" comment about chucking was not very professional and the B&W is definitely a very good hitch. I probably got carried away because I like the Andersen so much.
Please forgive me
Glad I'm not in Politics

John
Old 04-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
It was a 34 ft Gold Falcon.
Did some engineering and the beam that failed was already loaded at the safe load using the Fifth wheel hitch. And since the GN adds more lateral loads it failed.
The major problem was using the jake brake.
Exactly, when you combine poor engineering, reckless driving and rough roads you have a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
I admit, posting a "hear say" comment about chucking was not very professional and the B&W is definitely a very good hitch. I probably got carried away because I like the Andersen so much.
Please forgive me
Glad I'm not in Politics

John
...John...

All is good in the World...I only posted my disagreement because I truly have not ever heard a B&W owner complain about chucking...I likely am as satisfied with my Companion Combination as you are with your Anderson. Both companies have similar reporting of customer satisfaction ...in B&W"s case, almost unanimous which is unheard of with a product as mature as the B&W Combo...

As I mentioned earlier, if I was starting with no hitch equipment at all for towing a fiver, the Anderson would be on a very short list of two manufacturer's...B&W would be the other candidate...

Enjoy your rig...

Regards
Old 04-28-2014, 07:56 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Gooseneck Hitch

I would go with the B&W Companion hitch that is made for trucks with the turnover ball in the bed. It is a great hitch and is very easy to set-up and install/remove with the added bonus of when you remove the hitch, you can either remove just the hitch plate mechanism or you can remove the entire hitch by simply loosening (5) bolts - 4 on the hitch u-bolts and one on the top of the post that repl aces the turnover ball. I love mine and wouldn't go any other way.
pthomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #22

I have had no experience with GN adaptors but have had experience with broken pin box supports and broken frames from hard potholes and rough roads. The pin box is minimally rated and I believe that RVs are built quite differently than cattle and horse trailers that use GN pins. I would not run a GN on my unit. Just my opinion and not meant to offend.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #23

If I didn't have so much $$$ tied up in the hitch I have "Trailer Saver BD3" I would love to give the Anderson hitch a try.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:52 PM   #24

I have a BD 3and think it is a great american made product. Considering the conditions of todays roads and the stress damage that occurs from them l would either have an air ride pin box or fifth wheel. The trl justs floats and the items inside move very much less then without air. Speaking of lnterstate travel it is the safest way to travel no lights , intersections , everyone is traveling in the same direction and you can pass without putting your life on the line. Just speaking from 35 yrs and three and a half million miles of trucking down the road. They do get boring though, that's a fact!