Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2015, 10:41 AM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just out of curiosity. What temps does anyone get with the Nev R Lube bearings?
I have a 2002 HR Presidential 5th wheel. 6000# axles /42mm cartridges. Probably somewhere in the 15000 mile range on the bearings. Decided to replace them due to age. Axial inspection didn't detect anything. There was a fair amount of grease leaking. They were due. Not bad for 13 year. Took the hubs into work and pressed new bearings in. Took it out to weigh trailer last weekend. 50 miles round trip. 3 of 4 bearings read 95* at the hub / grease cover. One read 112*. Contacted Dexter, didn't like 3 reading one thing, the other higher. They weren't concerned unless temp was higher than 150* Going to check the brakes and make sure that wheel wasn't dragging.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2015, 11:22 PM   #16

On my trip home to Alaska, all four hubs (Nev R Lube) consistently ran about 108 degrees.

If there was a 17 degree variance in your hubs, perhaps you ought to check to see if the hot one was overtightened, or if the washer is wearing properly. Just a thought.

AKGriz460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #17

I'm glad this thread is still active. I did check and the tag on our 5th wheel has the axles listed as the 5200# ones.

I want one for a spare and found some for $84.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:42 AM   #18

Checked the suspect wheel. Found the hub, not new bearing defective. Apparently after mistakenly replacing rims with -.08mm offset, this lead to hub wear. I verified this with Dexter. I did replace the rims same time as bearing replacement. Checking one wheel on same side. No play. Hopefully the other side will be ok. According to Dexter, when using incorrect offset not only do bearings fail but also the hubs. Should have recognized this when the bearing on that hub required very little force to remove. Better to happen now than on the road.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #19

You found the higher temp on the first trip out after replacing the bearings and putting on new wheels? What was your solution with the wheels?
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:00 AM   #20

I'd normally say don't worry, but since it's been sitting several years I'd remove at least one wheel for a check. Can those bearings be lubed or are they throw-aways?
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:26 AM   #21
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpcbk14 View Post
Checked the suspect wheel. Found the hub, not new bearing defective. Apparently after mistakenly replacing rims with -.08mm offset, this lead to hub wear. I verified this with Dexter. I did replace the rims same time as bearing replacement. Checking one wheel on same side. No play. Hopefully the other side will be ok. According to Dexter, when using incorrect offset not only do bearings fail but also the hubs. Should have recognized this when the bearing on that hub required very little force to remove. Better to happen now than on the road.
I hope you meant 8mm as .08mm = ~.003 and would be virtually no offset and almost an unmeasurable manufacturing tolerance on a wheel. 8mm would be .315 or ~5/16" which is far outside of Dexter's zero wheel offset requirements for a Nevr-Lube bearing.

These bearings are not serviceable except by replacement of the entire capsule. It needs to be pressed in and should be an interference fit - and fairly tight. The Dexter website has a service bulletin: http://www.dexteraxle.com/resource_library_ . You will have to 'dig down' for it as it's a .pdf
Old 08-16-2015, 05:25 AM   #22

Yes correct 8mm