Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-13-2015, 12:12 PM   #1
Nev-R-Lube Bearings

Greetings, newbie here. I've got a 2007 Cedar Creek Daydreamer (37RLTS) with Nev-R-Lube bearings on the Dexter axles. She has maybe 1,000 miles total on her, but has been sitting in storage for the past 4 years (thanks, US Army!).

I'm headed home to Alaska (5er is near Dallas). The Nev-R-Lubes have a 5 year/100k warranty.

Should I be concerned about changing out these bearings, or just go with it? I'm putting new 17.5 rims and Michelin XTAs on her for the ride home, and I'd hate to throw a bearing!

Asking for opinions here, thanks in advance.

AKGriz460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2015, 12:19 PM   #2

Some owners of trailers with the never lube , carry a spare brg assembly , particularly in a situation where parts my be hard to come by.
Are the rims trailer rated, different off set rims may disturb the bearing design load and accelerate wear.
It's been a while since I bought tires. Are 17.5" a common size now , that's another thing that may be in short supply on the AK Highway.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #3
When we had our 5th wheel we experienced on two occasions Nev-R-Lube bearing failures. Both times we were sidelined for about 5 days waiting for parts. I believe our factory supplied steel wheels had the wrong offset. Be very careful that your wheels are correct for use with Nev-R-Lube.
Fred & Mary RVM135
2012 Dutch Star 3735 ISL 400
2012 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 4x4
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:25 PM   #4
Thanks for the insights! I'm replacing the OEM wheels (and Load Range G tires) with their minus 8mm offset with zero offset wheels. The reason for the replacement is the OEMs are 8 years old, and I figure upgrading to Load Range J can't be a bad thing--and the lack of offset should be easier on the bearings.

I plan on checking the hub temps at every stop. I know from previous experience (ugh) that there are several axle/spring shops on the ALCAN, and I definitely don't want to have to utilize their services!

Keep the thoughts coming!
Old 05-13-2015, 01:36 PM   #5
I would get a recommendation from nevr-lube as to the offset they suggest rather than guessing.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:20 PM   #6
Excel Owners Club
I had 10 years and 70K+ miles of trouble free service from the Nev-R-Lube bearings on my previous trailer.

My current trailer has the same track record with Nev-R-Lube bearings after 2 1/2 years and 32K miles.
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:27 PM   #7
Good luck on your trip Griz. Just wondering if it would be easier on your trailer if you took the ferry from Seattle to Anchorage. You might miss a lot of beautiful scenery on the Alcan but then you wouldn't have to hassle with the Canadian rules on transporting any weapons you might have.
Both of us retired Spring 2016 & loving it
2011 DRV MS 36RSSB3 w/vanity slide
2015 GMC CC DRW 3500 Duramax
Helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:57 PM   #8
Originally Posted by Helipilot View Post
Good luck on your trip Griz. Just wondering if it would be easier on your trailer if you took the ferry from Seattle to Anchorage. You might miss a lot of beautiful scenery on the Alcan but then you wouldn't have to hassle with the Canadian rules on transporting any weapons you might have.
Have you ever checked the cost of such a trip?

As for Nev-R-Lube bearings, we've had our NuWa DA 5 years it was 6 years old when we purchased it. The bearings are as far as I know are original and we have put 30,000 miles on it. That being said we just made the trip from Kerrville TX to Tok, AK in preparation I purchased a new hub with Nev-R-Lube bearings installed and an extra replacement bearing. I did so for insurance. I may never need them "on the road" but I'm old and can afford to CYA. DW would not like being stuck in the middle of nowhere to her 30amp is roughing it.
'09' F350 CC DRW B&W Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:10 AM   #9
Yes, I've looked at the ferry option, but things are a little too complicated for me to be able to make accurate reservations for our two vehicles with trailers (one cargo/gooseneck, one 5er). I've done the ALCAN three times, and the Cassiar Highway route four times--and have always wanted to take the ferry for a change of scenery--it's just not going to happen this time!

I appreciate the thoughts about bagging a spare hub assembly--advice I'll follow. DW does not like being stuck, especially with our 5 dogs (3 of them huge mastiffs) on board. She can't whine too much, however, she's driving the '15 Dodge 3500 with all the bells and whistles, and I'm driving the '99 Dodge 3500--love those Cummins!!!
Old 05-17-2015, 08:12 PM   #10
As to the warranty, hard to come up with verifiable mileage on a trailer--so you are SOL on the warranty.
I would not worry about the bearings--I have had them on previous trailer and now the Suites--never a problem. Might want to invest in a quality IR temp gun and check the hub temps about every 3-500 miles/every evening when stopping for the night.
I'd be more worried about the kennel club than the bearings...
Good luck on the trip.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:10 PM   #11
If the trailer has 7000# Dexter axles along with their Nevr-Lube hubs, there have been few problems with that 50 mm bearing If it has 5200/6000 pound axles and the 42 mm bearing - many have caused a problem. Unfortunately it isn't always just the hub and bearing that fail, it can and will occasionally chew up the spindle which will necessitate the purchase and installation of a new axle along with enough time for Dexter (now owned by Lippert) to manufacture and truck ship to your breakdown point. Then, if a bearing fails and that hub overheats, replacing the bearing is not possible as it is a press fit and the failure has either 'wallowed' out that fit or welded the failed parts in place. Even worse - sometimes that failure will cause a total spindle failure with that wheel and hub rolling merrily along, unattached to your trailer.

Before you ask, no, you cannot convert that Nevr-Lub axle to a conventional hub and bearing.

Conventional bearing spindle:

Nevr-Lube 6000K spindle (and on its way to failure). There sure isn't much support using a light duty single roller bearing that even fails on a several Ford, GM and Chrysler products and a bunch of foreign makes:
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:02 AM   #12
IC2, thanks for your input even if it is worrisome. Fortunately, we're talking the 7k axles!

Seems like a lot of owners speak highly of the Nev-R-Lubes, and a few have had horrible experiences.

Personally, I'm old-school and like to be able to take things apart to see how they're actually doing--but in this case, barring catastrophic failure and the need for total replacement, I think my best course of action is to use the IR Temp Gun to check frequently, keep watching for signs of leaking lube and occasionally jack her up to check the "wobble" (I keep a 15 ton jack in the cargo trailer). I've already had my dealer's mechanic go completely through the rig (including the "wobble" check) and we've fixed even the smallest and most insignificant gigs--and we intend to keep the speed under 60mph too!

Hopefully I'll post pix of beautiful scenery and not gouged spindles!!!
Old 05-21-2015, 07:37 PM   #13
Hi Griz
Many thanks for your Service!!

Hey, you say your axel is the 7k, so glad you do have the better bearing but where did you look to see what axel that it is? was it in the owners manual or on a sticker somewhere, I have them on a domani 32 foot fifth wheel ..as you said, some of the info is troublesome and I would like to find out what axles that I have.

Thanks, Farmer
farmerobrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:36 AM   #14
Farmer, the VIN plate or certificate should list the axle weight. You can also measure the diameter of the axle (3" is the 6-7.2k axle). Or you can look for the 9 digit Dexter serial number on the axle, it should be stamped in right under the name "Dexter" and then contact Dexter and they can tell you.

Best wishes!