Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #1

Never ending supplies

Like everything else in life, what I make, what I need, and what I want just isnt possible.
Like I need tires for the drw, folks say I need a surge protector, dw wants a new outdoor mat, do i mention the kids? Yikes! No end in sight.
Anybody want to pay for my new roof on the real house? Lol
Kunysz513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #2

I know what you mean.

I am fixing to take my 5th wheel 1200 miles north.

I purchased it used last year. I have spent long hours rehabbing and getting this rig ready for the road trip. Sometimes I had to wait a few months for the piggy bank to accommodate me.

To date I think I have about $ 10K plus invested, between purchase of the rig "a steal @ $6500", 30 Amp service installed on side of house $500, Rehabbed interior (saved $$$$ here did it myself) $1,000. Pullrite Superglide $2700 installed, new tires will be here next week $1700 mounted on new rims. Splurged on all new LED bulbs $60 EBay. Still have to buy the Prodigy "3" break $120, the TST monitoring system another $399... Oh and let's not forget flush king $20, Lynx levelers $35 and the double pack of Bal wheel chucks $75. !!!!! The list goes on and on and on... I won't even mention the trips to the RV store and all the Lowe's and Home Depot trips.

Needs maybe a very few... wants...YES many !!!!!

Rving can be expensive, but it is fun. My kids are grown thank God, or I would NEVER have been able to have my little road trip dream.

Oh and I forgot to throw in the 2006 2500 Dodge Ram 5.9 Diesel that the bank owns and my payments on that each month are $325 !!!! Will be glad when I get that $19 K paid off.

So I think I could have done your roof or at least put a dent in the cost of having it done. (LOL).....you should have caught me before I became a 5ver.

It is sort of like getting married all over again and starting another new family....at every turn there is something that requires $$$$$$$.
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #3

Flushking, orbital wax machine (takes a long time waxing by hand), silicone to reseal the outside windows etc, mattress pads, and the list goes on.
Ye gads, it's endless as you described.
Kunysz513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunysz513 View Post
Flushking, orbital wax machine (takes a long time waxing by hand), silicone to reseal the outside windows etc, mattress pads, and the list goes on.
Ye gads, it's endless as you described.
LOL

I know we could spend hours listing all the small stuff that adds up. Stuff that saves you time, saves your back and joints, "the new" technology and then the things that are a must !!!!!!

I about fell over when I started this hobby and realized the advances that have been made since years ago. When I was a kid and would see a pull trailer going down the road, I always wondered what it was all about, and now that I am a grown kid I am finding that out first hand !!!!

"Eternabond" for example !!!!!! WHAT A GOD SEND !!!!!! lol

I guess even 10 years from now will hold even newer wonders and break through technology.

The more I get involved the more I am realizing that this may be something that I may want to do full time and just be a gypsy at heart !!!!

Old 04-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #5

"The more I get involved the more I am realizing that this may be something that I may want to do full time and just be a gypsy at heart !!!!"

And there will be stores everywhere you go so you can buy more stuff!! LOL!!
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #6

Yes that is the trouble. I have got to learn moderation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
I made a priority list of must have things down to nice to have list and its worked pretty well. But yes, it sure costs money but its a great way to see the country.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #8

Most expensive thing to date- happy wife.
Cost to get her there- priceless.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #9

I think you hit the nail on the head !!!! And I cannot think of a better way to canvas the USA's beautiful attractions. I work from home full time and I am too young to retire yet. I try to find hook ups with high speed Internet so I can do my job during the week and play on the weekends. A fifth wheel is perfect for this type of adventure. And someday when I do finally retire I am looking forward to doing this all the time. Outside of the upkeep of the rig, the other expense is really not that bad. (fuel set aside).... It is a great life for those of us who like it. It is not for everyone, but I LOVE IT.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #10

Every time I go camping in the 5ver I look at the outside and
say I need to add this or that go inside do the same thing
It seams the rv makers just can't get it right and I'm glad
gives me something to do isn't rving fun the DW and I love it
1stCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Most expensive thing to date- happy wife.
Cost to get her there- priceless.
Priceless indeed.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stCougar View Post
Every time I go camping in the 5ver I look at the outside and
say I need to add this or that go inside do the same thing
It seams the rv makers just can't get it right and I'm glad
gives me something to do isn't rving fun the DW and I love it
For sure...