Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-23-2016, 09:08 PM   #1
New 5er questions

So we jumped out and bought a new 5er. What do you use to protect the 5er from sun, wind, rain , snow etc... We have restrictions and cant build a cover(well it has to be like house brick, wood material etc..) for the 5er but we can park in the back yard. So what are some good options. We will be using it every other weekend through October for 4 day weekends and some week vacations. I didn't know if we should get a good cover or just keep waxed or what is a good routine? What is everyone else doing waxing a couple times a year or monthly? Any info would be helpful , thanks in advance Jeremy

denham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 10:09 PM   #2
Get a good cover with a solid warranty.
I bought a Gold line cover it was 36- 38 foot size and cost me around 600 it came with a five year warranty. I have had it about 2 1/2 years when l noticed two tears on the top about 12" long right nrxt to each other.
Closer inspection revealed sun rot (l live in S Ca lots of sun) l took a couple of pics within 4 days l had a new cover in the box. It is still in the box since repairing the tears was easy. So the new one will come out when the old one wears out.
They are heavy about 60 lb but good and they back them up 100% .
If you get one buy a large square trash can the kind with wheels. Store it in the can. When you take it down roll it to the center or the cover on the roof tie it in spots so it doesn't come apart and feed it from the roof down into the can. Put a rope on the end and pull it up to the roof when you want to put it on. Easiest way l have found. Google up Gold line to view the cover

jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:20 PM   #3
Thor Owners Club
Ditto on the cover. We use that and keep the rig clean and the roof protected/clean. Seems to work. I expect to buy a new cover every 4-5 years.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:27 AM   #4
This may sound like a stupid question, but how the heck do you get a cover over your rig both on and off? And do you only put it on when the rig will be in storage for more than XX months?

I too live in California and currently store my unit in a self storage facility, so only option is a cover. Would be a PIA to be trucking 1 or 2 large ladders over there every time that I wanted to take the rig in and out.

I was thinking that maybe it is possible to use a couple of extendable pool poles with clips to use to get a cover up and over the top. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.
Loanshark53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:51 AM   #5
I like your pool pole idea. Let the wind be your friend. Although not covering a rv I deal with huge Kites ,like 30 or 40 footers. To maneuver them we use the wind to lift them up so we can re position. I think it would work for you. I also use the wind to manage my 20X40 foot pool cover when folding and storing.

clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:53 AM   #6
I get up on the roof and take a rope tied to the end and start dragging it out and unroll it . It is a pain and you really habe to be careful .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:21 AM   #7
Excel Owners Club
My suggestion is to use a good wax at least 2x per year. I use a product called "Rejex". It is a polymer that adheres to the gel coat after 12 hours and provides great UV protection. Put it on with an orbital polisher and wipe off with a microfiber towel. Takes very little to wax an RV (my 5th wheel is 43' and I only use 14 oz). This wax is used on planes and boats. I even use it on my truck. You can find it online under www.rejex.com.

If you have a rubber roof make sure you treat it at least once a year.

Check your caulking constantly for any shrinkage and cracking.

If you perform the above procedures your rv will stand up to the harsh sun and weather.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2013 Excel Wild Cargo -41GKE
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 3500HD Dually
Rburke8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #8
Ford Super Duty Owner
Or store it somewhere under cover. It's nice having it nearby, but I choose to store mine for the steel roof...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:47 PM   #9

Any cover that you have to put on and take off, will get very old very fast. First they are not light and you have to get on the roof to get them over ACs, antennas, solar panels, etc.

If your codes permit it an RV tent garage may be the answer for you. You simply back in and pull out.

RV Garage | eBay

There are many sites for these. I just showed one.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:54 PM   #10

The sun does a lot of damage. Keep it covered one way or another.

2014 Raptor 300MP, 2014 Cowboy Cadillac - Ram 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel DRW 4.10 Rear End, Firestone Airbags, Curt Q20.
raineman is offline   Reply With Quote