Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #15

Thanks for all the great help folks! Today was the first day that we have been able to actually nail down prices on both the new and used unit. The dealer for the new unit acted he wanted to call the police and have us arrested for unarmed robbery when I tried to get them even close to 50K. I should add that their "sticker price of 69K was not an MSRP, according to them. I have the dealer for the slightly used unit at 43K and change..Think we are going to pull the trigger on the used one early this coming week since they also agreed to do slide toppers in the price.

As far as a TV, being a Ford man, I have had extremely hard times trying to find a 6.7L, 350, period, much less in "my colors." I would feel more comfortable with a 350 pulling it, but I have found a 6.7L, 250 in tremendous shape that I actually had to look at the door sticker to believe that it was a 2011 instead of a brand spanking new just out the assembly plant door. Any way, it's getting a little "check out" Monday morning mechanically, and the dealer is sharpening his pencils a little more on that deal, I think.

Looking at a slider hitch too, even with Heartland's radius corner construction, patent pending 88 degree turning radius. I think that's a no brainer, considering the access to where she's going to be parked at the house or possibly get parked when traveling.

Thank you again folks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2014, 01:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Jam View Post
Hi Folks,

Long time lurker but seldom poster. I have learned TONS of stuff from this forum from you fine folks who have forgotten more about "X" than I would ever know. I kinda hate to throw out another pricing opinion question on a unit, but again, I want to defer to the experts, so I hope you will indulge me.

After years of looking, the DW and I decided during our last camping trip last Labor Day to finally pull the plug and upgrade out of the old popup. We have looked and looked at travel trailers up to Class A's, but until a couple weeks ago had never found anything remotely that even whispered or begged me to "take it to the house " - much less flat out jumped up and the wife takes just one good look at and smiles, saying, "This is home", until now.

It is a 2013 Heartland 5th wheel, model 3596RE.. The one we looked at is a 2013 model, but actually a used unit in near perfect condition. When I asked the salesman how they acquired this unit, he told me that a couple had purchased it new ( in another state), but decided on a motorhome after a few months and traded it in there at their (ahem) "large chain camping planetary and outdoors stuff place". The only defects or blemishes that we can find is the mattress is stained, ( we would replace it anyway - no matter) and the coroplast underneath needs some sealing rectification work around some of the edges. Other than that, it looks like she just came in off the assembly line. We have only looked at the unit twice so far and we assume that everything is in perfect working order.

They have it priced at $50k rounded up, literally, a very few bucks. Now, after online just glancing around, comparison shopping, lo and behold, I discover another identical, except for color and fabric on the couch and recliners, but brand new 3596RE, model only a couple hours away at "Joe's Camper Sales" at a listed price of $69,5K. Optimistically praying for a 30% d/c puts it within a $1K 'ish of the asking price for the same, but branded as used, model locally.

We're on a budget as we have to also purchase a tow vehicle as well. But we are planning on paying CA$H, straight out. I am aware of the new unit with a warranty aspect which brings me to my question. With the used unit priced at a couple bucks under $50K, generally, what kind of d/c could we maybe hope for from "large chain planetary camping place"? I checked NADA on the used unit and it's within $1K as LOW retail of what they are pricing the unit at now, which is in like new condition. We are hoping that we could get it for $40K, but, being a newbie rookie at this ( the popup was bought new waaay back in '98) I am just looking for some advice on perhaps what I could reasonably offer and expect "THEM" to accept for the used unit. As I said, the new unit, with a 30% d/c is within about a thou$and'ish of what the slightly used unit is now priced at. And again, that is ASSUMING, that the newly used unit's components are all working as they should with no problems. It has no slide toppers ( a deal maker/breaker perhaps?) on the 4 slides. As far as I could tell, the roof is like new, not even discolored at all.

I am also going to ask to speak to the couple who traded in the newly used unit to hopefully get their comments on anything wrong /problems with the unit. We are planning on paying CA$H for the unit, and, of course, "THEY" want us to finance, blah blah...

Thanks in advance for any help!
Having stains on the mattress in a used unit is very common. The average person sweats around a pint of fluid each night (yummy!). With that being said, I'd make sure there are no roof leaks as suggested by the other poster.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:30 AM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I always say "CASH" talks.....that is the only way I deal.
I see this said so often, or more to the point, that people believe they can get a better price if they are buying with cash. Now days, this has virtually no basis in fact if you are buying from a dealer. (Now if your talking about a private seller who you want to finance or accept payments, that's obviously another story).

I have a friend who owned a large company that sold coaches. He said they would get that all the time--"write me a better deal because I'm paying cash"

Apparently, in many cases, the dealers can actually reduce the selling cost if the buyer is financing through a dealer offered finance company, as the dealer gets a piece of that action and can reduce the price accordingly.

But even if the dealer doesn't work with any particular finance company, or the buyer is financing on their own, it makes absolutely no difference to the dealer as they ultimately get their cash when the sale is made. They are already paying the salary of their business office staff, and thus is built into the dealers overhead, cash or financed, it makes no difference.

Bottom line--even though its oft repeated, it really makes no difference. He can and will write the same deal if someone says ..."I'll give you $100000 right now and lays the green on the table, or comes in with the ability to finance and says ....I'll sign the contract right now for $100000".

My guess is this myth carries over from the days when people were looking for seller financing or payment plans with private sellers, but that is almost non-existent today.

I guess a little off-topic-but an interesting side note.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmichael View Post
I see this said so often, or more to the point, that people believe they can get a better price if they are buying with cash. Now days, this has virtually no basis in fact if you are buying from a dealer. .
Well said and an excellent point, Michael.

I have just experienced and found out precisely what you have said with this deal myself. In fact, to add validity, the dealer has been miffed several times that we are paying cash and not financing through them and have made a couple snide remarks (IMHO) along the lines. If we weren't so in love with this particular unit ( and unable to find another anywhere near this price), I would have walked way weeks ago...
Old 04-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Since you haven't been treated well by this dealer, why reward them with a sale? Doing a Google search I found these:
2013 Heartland Big Country 3596RE | Brooks Camper Sales | Connellsville Pennsylvania
Used 2013 Heartland Big Country 3596 RE Fifth Wheel For Sale - Camping World of Asheville
https://rockymountainrv.com/rv-brand/big-country/
2013 Heartland Big Country 3596RE Fifth Wheel , RV Wholesale Prices | Direct RV Sales | Wholesale RV Pricing
2013 Heartland Big Country 3596RE Fifth Wheel , RV Wholesale Prices | Direct RV Sales | Wholesale RV Pricing

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I think one of the biggest drivers of pricing one or two year old models is what the original owner actually paid for it as well as how much was financed. If someone paid over 70% of MSRP they will be taking a bath if they sell too soon so they won't lower the price until they have to in order to get rid of it if they paid cash or if they financed they will need to come up with cash to get out of it and most can't do that.
Kiltedpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
The other myth about mattress stains ---

We've never used the mattress that came with even a new rv - We always put our own so it perfectly matches the mattress at home and no matter where we sleep it's just like home !
Old 04-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Dealers want to finance because they get a percent on the financed amount.
Kiltedpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #23

Buy the used unit AFTER an inspection by an rv technician or rv mobile service tech. Another poster's suggestion of asking for an extended warranty is an excellent idea. Just because you buy a new unit does not mean trouble free. Good luck and don't buy that F250, the rv you want is almost 37' long, a 35' is most likely 36' 11".
Trust me, you want to have plenty of truck.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote