Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2015, 03:35 PM   #1

New 5th hitch info needed.

So we are thinking of moving from tt to fw. What seems to be the hitch of choice?
Never had a fifth currently tow with a propride on our tt.
The unit we are in love with is a Shasta Phoenix 32RE, it has a Reese Revolution pin box if that helps. Any info would be appreciated.
Clicker1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 03:49 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
I have an Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel connection with a B&W turnover gooseneck in the bed to attach it. I have a flat floor when it's out, I can set the hitch out of the bed by myself, I'm really impressed with how it tows.

You can get the same hitch in a version that attaches to rails in the floor.

Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:30 PM   #3

There are many good brands that you couldn't go wrong with.

But I went with the B&W Patriot 16K hitch for a 11K fifth wheel trailer. What I especially liked about it is the ability to adjust the load--front and back, up and down. And the quality of the B&W's is as good as it gets. My truck's a 6 3/4' SuperDuty 3/4 ton.

B&W's Companion hitches are heavier duty, and very popular units.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
There are many good brands that you couldn't go wrong with.

But I went with the B&W Patriot 16K hitch for a 11K fifth wheel trailer. What I especially liked about it is the ability to adjust the load--front and back, up and down. And the quality of the B&W's is as good as it gets. My truck's a 6 3/4' SuperDuty 3/4 ton.

B&W's Companion hitches are heavier duty, and very popular units.
Do you have the slider hitch?
Clicker1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:30 PM   #5

I beg to differ with most here. I personally can't see buying your dream coach, spending 10's of thousand dollars and putting a cheap hitch on. Most talked about here are 1/8" thick metal. Recently saw a picture of a mass produced camper, not real heavy, totaled. It jackknifed and the hitch came loose. Coach rolled over. The head of hitch came out of hitch. We went with an air hitch by Hitch Crafters. It is formed 3/8" steel. Uses the Holland Brinkley head, the best in the industry.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:31 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I see you are driving a new Ford. Do you have the factory 5th wheel prep option on your truck? If so, Reese or B&W, and I went with the latter because I had a B&W Companion in the previous truch with a turnover ball. The Ford factory prep is about the best option I ever had. The hitch was in/out of the truck in less than 2 min, no tools. Leaves a clean bed surface. If you don't have the option, I would still go with the B&W Companion with the turnover ball.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:44 PM   #7

I did a LOT of research and my choice was the B&W Companion on a B&W GN turnover. If I ever need to replace it, I might look at the Anderson but right now the B&W is still my first choice. It is quiet, strong, safe and foolproof. I also like the easy adjustability for fore/aft and up/down positioning. And I like my flat bed plus the ability to tow a GN. B&W is not the cheap 1/8" product described by others, it is made in a place called America out of very heavy plate steel. I bought mine used 5 years ago for $400.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:58 PM   #8

Curt 25k hitch from ram with the bed prep kit.....loves the way the jaws completely enclose the pin
mkohler30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:21 PM   #9

We had a B W Companion hitch. It is no where as strong as my Hitch Crafter air hitch. Camper tows much smoother also. Every thing in camper rides better too
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 01-08-2015, 08:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I see you are driving a new Ford. Do you have the factory 5th wheel prep option on your truck? If so, Reese or B&W, and I went with the latter because I had a B&W Companion in the previous truch with a turnover ball. The Ford factory prep is about the best option I ever had. The hitch was in/out of the truck in less than 2 min, no tools. Leaves a clean bed surface. If you don't have the option, I would still go with the B&W Companion with the turnover ball.
Morning glennwest: I would suggest that Scottybdivin has a good point in regard to what will fit nicely in your new F250 bed. The Reese or B&W hitches are brand name hitches and have a good reputation. Look closely at the clearance distances as to whether you need a slider hitch or not. I've always had the short bed trucks and tried to get by without a slider on the last 5th wheel/truck combo; yup, I put a small dent in the back of the cab. We have traded for a new setup this last fall, and this time I got off of my wallet and now use a slider hitch. I also favor the "made in USA" hitches, although many hitches are made in the U.S. I've been using the PullRite super 5th hitch on the last truck/5'er combo, and selected the PullRite Super-slider this time for my dually setup where I can pull the pins, remove the hitch, and end up with a flat bed. I am comfortable with the "encircle the pin" type hitch rather than 2 jaws on many hitches, only due to having used the Pullrite brand hitch previously.

Another hitch that I have not used, is the Hensley Ts3 that I've heard good reports about in reference to the cushion ride.

The other end of the hitch, the pin-box is an important consideration as well. I would suggest you consider a box such as a 5th Airborne pinbox or a MorRyde pinbox. Many have used the 5th Airborne and recommend it. I've owned several MorRyde pinboxes and I get along great with them. Without any cushion in this area, you are going to get more road transfer from the pinbox to the truck, meaning, a less-smooth ride. Look closely for what fits you best. Good luck with your choice...
Old 01-08-2015, 08:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clicker1944 View Post
So we are thinking of moving from tt to fw. What seems to be the hitch of choice?
Never had a fifth currently tow with a propride on our tt.
The unit we are in love with is a Shasta Phoenix 32RE, it has a Reese Revolution pin box if that helps. Any info would be appreciated.
Check for compatibility with the Revolution before purchase. The Reese hitch will always work with that. Reese can let you know about compatibility though.
OH! With the Revolution, you don't need a slider! I have an F150 with the 5'7" bed, a Reese Sidewinder with Reese 16K hitch and can make 90 degree turns without issue.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:11 PM   #12

I have had air and none air hitches. One thing to consider is if you get an air hitch you have it, if you decide to get a different trl. The stress on your Trl and TV is greatly reduced with an air hitch. Along with the contents of both being more intact. They are expensive The BD 3 cost about $2300 with shipping . It is a well made and durable unit made in the USA.
The difference in ride in my experience is day and night.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:52 PM   #13

And compared to the benefits it is a better investment than a cheap hard hitch. Likely the last one you will ever buy also
Old 01-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
I have an Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel connection with a B&W turnover gooseneck in the bed to attach it. I have a flat floor when it's out, I can set the hitch out of the bed by myself, I'm really impressed with how it tows.

You can get the same hitch in a version that attaches to rails in the floor.

Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
Going to order this before my next trip. I have a 16,000 lb slider hitch for sale!!

I watched the video and it looks impressive.
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote