Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-16-2009, 09:42 PM   #15
We full timed for nearly four years with our rig and had to watch our weight all the time. The GVWR for our 5er is 14.1K and 11.5K for the truck. Because I have a 4.10 hooked up to an auto trans my 2004 Dodge has a max GCWR of 23K. I’ll do the math for you because I’ve scaled it many times. With the truck all fueled up with me and the wife aboard, the cat in his cage in the back seat and the truck bed with it’s normal down the road load we roll off at 8800#. That leaves me with 2700# available for pin weight and that’s just about what I have on most days so my truck is maxed out when I drop the trailer in the bed, 11,500#. Subtract the 2700# pin weight from the 14K trailer weight and then add what’s left to the maxed out truck and I’m within 200# of GCWR. Bone dry my truck is about 6800# so I guess theoretically one could manage a heavier trailer load than I by cutting some corners.

USN - RET - PDRL - Aviation Structural Mechanic (H)
DOD - RET - Journeyman Aircraft Mechanic
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #16
Thank you!

Wow! Thank you for the detailed information FastEagle. This is terrific for my use as I select a new 5th wheel to go with my Dodge 3500 dually diesel.

Alaska Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:42 PM   #17
I've looked at Copper Canyons on line and I like the rear living model. We don't have a Copper Canyon dealer in Alaska so I'd have to go to the lower 48 states to see one. How do you like the quality of the brand so far?
Alaska Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #18
Originally Posted by CD View Post
As you can see I have a 3500 W/410 and have pulled 16K and it is no fun. Power was no issue but it was more of a handling issue. Hard braking was marginal. I have towed many different combinations over the last 50yrs from a car & small utility trailer to a 9000 Ford w/42' trailer so I think I can recognise poor handling.
Sorry to hear about your handling problems. I too have hauled various load but my 36' Carriage has been benind my Dodge from Florida to Newfoundland, to Alaska and deep into Mexico and all points in between. I never have handling problems or stopping problems. I am constantly amazed at how sweet the total package is.
2003 Dodge HO 6 speed Laramie Dually, Jordan controller, RDS fuel tank, Air Ride 25K hitch
Carriage 36' fiver, Onan 6500, Prosine 2K inverter, 3 slides, MORyde IS and Kingpin
FiverBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #19
I'm also a Jayco fan. I'm on my second 2009 model (first one got totaled). Both are well worth the money. Also, I had some issued with my camper, and even though the warranty doesn't cover service visits, I called Jayco and explained the situation (Camper couldn't be moved) and they paid for a service technician to come out to me and fix it. No arguments, no hassles, nothing, just good customer service. The technician wasn't even a Jayco repair facility.

Good company. Good camper. Good service. What else do you need?

2008 Dodge 2500 Diesel | 2010 Montana Mountaineer 36 DBQ
Two adults, two kids, two dogs, a cat, and four slides - full-timing in style!
WindRVer is offline   Reply With Quote