Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2014, 11:15 PM   #15

Mobilecastle, the end of the video should answer your question. If the parking spot is on the driver's side come in on that side, turn the truck to point across the road, pull ahead, turn to the left then STOP once the vehicle is parallel to the road. The trailer will now be at an angle. Turn the wheels to the left and follow the trailer in making small corrections as you go. The biggest problem most of us face is too much steering input.
I have a narrow lane to deal with, I had a tough time getting into my parking spot without getting jammed against the neighbor's fence until I watched a big rig use this technique. Cut down on damage to the fence

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2014, 12:16 AM   #16

Just remember that the RV wheels are 1/2 distance then a transport and amout of truck movement is also half. A lot of drivers observe the rear of the unit and it's the wheels that need to be guided.
I can park my 40 ft Trailer in a very small site by laying blocks on the ground to guide the trailer wheels and use the driver side advantage.
On the passenger side its a toss but still lay the the blocks down and the DW gives a hand
Usually she just signal me to stop, not to hit anything.
I once parked the rig in a 30ft.max site on the first try and parked the trailer wheels 6 in from a deck.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #17

Just don't overlook your spotter. You are completely blind to the left side when you making that 45 degree cut.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
Just remember that the RV wheels are 1/2 distance then a transport and amout of truck movement is also half. A lot of drivers observe the rear of the unit and it's the wheels that need to be guided.
I can park my 40 ft Trailer in a very small site by laying blocks on the ground to guide the trailer wheels and use the driver side advantage.
On the passenger side its a toss but still lay the the blocks down and the DW gives a hand
Usually she just signal me to stop, not to hit anything.
I once parked the rig in a 30ft.max site on the first try and parked the trailer wheels 6 in from a deck.
was it just me, or did anyone else have a hard time understanding what he said ?
2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:01 PM   #19

I have driven 18 wheeler for 44 years and had to read that 4 times before it "clicked" I was trying to read more into it than was there. That being said it does work although until following the trailer with steering inputs become habit it could be confusing. Also you will find that sometimes the wheels on the inside of the turn will stop turning if you need to turn tight enough, trailer tires and good LT (light truck) like Michelin XPS's are designed to handle the stress, when that happens sometimes it is easier, and also necessary to over swing the trailer and then pull a head after turning the steering in the opposite direction even a small amount. I have a favorite camp spot that I have to do this 4 or 5 times to finnally get straight enough to back all the way into. It all comes with practice after all mine I can turn a 53ft trailer with a 300 inch wheelbase road tractor around in a 60 foot space.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #20

Our membership campground has two trucks putting travel trailers and fifth wheels on campsites all day, every day. They do use a spotter.

I have no idea how they can take a 24' or a 42' trailer--tt or 5er--and hit the campsite virtually the first time, every time.

And I have no idea how they back trailers into storage with 18" between each trailer.

Practice, practice, practice, I guess.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:23 PM   #21

This is our first 5th wheel and Hubby is also having a hard time backing up. The YouTube link is great, thanks JEEPOHOLIC.

On the go
Old 06-29-2015, 10:15 PM   #22

TJD

I think what K-Star is trying to say is that you are making an "S" maneuver and ending with the back of your trailer pointed at your driveway at a 45* angle and your T.V. is parallel to the curbs, The back of your trailer is (hopefully) pointed at your driveway so you start backing and follow it in....... Kinda like herding cats Right!???
All your moves of the steering wheel have to be more accentuated to stay on top of it. I concentrate on the bottom of the steering wheel and watch the mirrors and it goes pretty easy
Old 06-29-2015, 10:26 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
When you stop your trailer see where the wheels are and look at where you want the trailer wheels to end up.

Then imagine a circular line from where they are to where you want them to be. Then back up with the wheels as close to the line as possible. If you can you can take a stick and mark the approximate line the wheels have to follow.

It is the same as when you drive forward. You know where you are and also where you want to go so you turn the wheels in an amount that you end up with the result you want.

Will take a bit of practice. Go slow and if you have to make several stops, get out and re-evaluate. If you have to go ahead and readjust the trailer line to end up at the end point.

Driving (and backing up) is either in a straight line or a circle of varying radius. Figuring out whether to back up straight or in a circle gets you started. Then working out what radius you need to accomplish will get you to the end point.

See the circle in your minds eye.

Remember to look ahead once in a while to ensure the truck is not going to run into something.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:03 PM   #24

The trailer needs to lead and the truck will be swong to guide the trailer. I usually use my left hand to back up and right hand to lead going forward.
I have been backing up tractors, cars and trucks with trailers since the age of 10 and for me I observe the trailer by mirror and the left hand does the rest.
When I was young and we had a long backward Trail to back in my father would just get off the tractor and let me back it up. Later I had to apply the same principal with mirrors.
To make easier I will lay some of my leveling 2x6 in the path of my trailer wheels and just aim the trailer. The swing of a longer truck takes a bit longer to maneuver but sometimes it's an advantage as it does stay in line easier. But a short truck will swing easier in tight areas. I always watch the front of the truck or ask for assistance not to hit the front. I just need someone behind to watch any obsticles and location to stop.
I never need guidance while using the leveling boards and parking the 40' unit is a wize.
The 6 ft trailer on the garden tractor, the 17 ft utility trailer and 40 ft 5th wheel to me are all the same if I apply the trailer leading method. Of course my left hand has been trained to go with the trailer lead. As it turns opposite to the trailer direction requirement. I never used the hand at the bottom method though it could be a great idea similar to the left hand leading.
Good luck and great parking.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:38 PM   #25

Just turn your steering wheel into mirror in the Example as you see the. Trl coming into your right mirror turn the steering wheel towards the right mirror and the trl will start going left.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:46 AM   #26

What's the old trick.... turn the bottom of the steering wheel the direction you want the trailer to go I believe... eventually it will just become second nature!
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:31 PM   #27

I tried K-Star's method last weekend and I had no problem backing mine into a spot.

Tags
5th wheel