Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2019, 11:16 PM   #1

New 5th wheel debate

I am looking at purchasing a new fifth wheel. We currenty have a travel trailer and have decided to upgrade. We are now stuck between two units both of which are priced virtually the same and both are in stock and available locally. The first trailer is a Coachmen Chaparral 30BHS and the other is a Cherokee Arctic wolf 295qsl8. Both are mid bunk units. I really like having two couches in the chaparral but also love the loft in the arctic wolf. Both are forest river products. But I am not sure how to proceed between the two trailers. Both dealerships claim their trailer is the better built product etc. Does anyone have any input on these units and have some good advice one direction or the other? ( I should also add that we have a 2018 F350DRW and have sufficient truck to tow either unit)
flatlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2019, 06:31 AM   #2

both are mid level units. probably close to equal in quality id think. is this a weekender rv? are you full time?
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:40 AM   #3

We use it as a weekender mostly, week at the lake here week in the mountains there kind of thing. I know either are not high end units but they are along the lines of what we are comfortable spending.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:56 AM   #4

If its a flip of a quarter kind of decision and both would make you happy concerning floor plans and amenity s.

Personally
I would buy the heaviest unit.

Look at pounds per $$$ s spent.

Most times heavier means a meatier frame and axle quality.
More strength in the roof and walls, etc.
Better windows etc.
Just my observation over time.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:42 AM   #5

It's really a decision only you can make. An approach I would take is to spend a hour going through each rig and make a list of pro's and con's and rate each item as to how important each item is, say 1-5. The RV with the highest total number wins for you. Then I would negotiate the price, a $1K difference would carry a lot of weight for me.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #6

My choice would be the Chaparral. Higher CCC, GVWR. Azdel walls. More living room seating.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #7

New is nice & all but for the same money you could get a lightly used higher end market unit that is not going to lose 25% of its value as soon as you take it off the lot. Somebody else already did that.
Triangle Drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:01 PM   #8

as drifter said. use money spent on a higher end used 5ver.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:16 PM   #9

If we start looking for a slightly used higher end unit, What would be considered higher end worth searching for?
Old 04-17-2019, 03:19 AM   #10

Used units are not easy to find and will take more time.

I like the mid bunk with the loft floor plans. Certain aged kids would love the loaf area. It gives you sleeping area or storage area. I have seen the mid bunk room set up with two bunks on the outside wall with a desk area that could be turned into an office on the inside wall.

Both units are mid grade. Try to look at the frame and axles. If one has 6,000lb axles and one has 7,000lb axles buy the one with 7,000lb axles.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlanding View Post
If we start looking for a slightly used higher end unit, What would be considered higher end worth searching for?

Use the advanced search tool in RVTrader. Put in the criteria you want and go a couple/three years old and put in the highest and lowest dollar amount you'd spend then starting looking at what it finds. You have lots of truck so your options are wide open.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:40 AM   #12

Nu-wa, Excel, Artic Fox, for starters. Not sure if Nu-wa made a mid bunk but artic fox did im quite sure.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #13

Check consignment lots. They will have lots of units available. I don't kno where up are but PPL Motors in Houston Tx is where we found the HitchHiker we have be FT in for 10 years now.

Kansas RV Center is another place to look. That is the old HitchHiker manufacturing location and they do refurbishing on older rigs and trades.

Personally I would definitely look used.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:51 PM   #14

My thought process would be as follows:
1. Decide which floorplan suit you better
2. Compare the “bones“ of the trailers
By bones I mean I-beams, axle size, and tires
I own a Coachmen Chaparral 5er with which I am satisfied. I think the Azdel siding is a definite plus.
As far as new vs used, that debate has been going on for years and will never be decided. It’s all personal preference.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel