Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-01-2016, 11:45 PM   #1
New 5th Wheel has delamination

Hello All. Just joined the forum so if this is not the right area to post this, please forgive. I bought a new Grand Design 27RL at the end of last summer. Within a week I noticed some 5" diameter bubbles on the exterior wall. the are close together.. I contacted the dealer and their proposing to cut out the fiberglass in that area and re-glue. Then bondo and repaint like a car repair. Two things. Will this type of repair last over time and not be noticeable? Will this lower the resale. It is still under warranty. If this were out of warranty then the cost of doing anything else would be prohibitive, but since it is in warranty should I be pushing to have the factory replace the wall or would this be worse?
Thanks for any help with this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grand Design DelamPic.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	128930  

dnyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2016, 06:42 AM   #2
Certainly a sad issue. First thing I'd do is make sure the Mfg'r is notified and responds in writing. . Take lots of pictures. Personally if the defect is not cracked of would allow water to enter the skin I would let it alone. Ya, it's not pretty . I would not take the chance of a cut and patch. Too much is at risk of material failure over time and quality of workmanship. However I would also have the Mfg'r commit to a repair under warrenty if down the road it dose crack and fail. MHO.

clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:03 AM   #3
I would post that on the Grand Design forum and see if anyone else has had the same issue. Then get in contact with GD and ask them for advice on a repair.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #4
Why don't you call Grand Design about this. I'm sure they'll make it right. You won't get it fixed on the interweb.

Grand Design Customer Service - 574-825-9679
Jim and Georgianne
Grand Design Reflection 29RS
Ford F-250 SD PSD
jimbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:04 PM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by jimbrv View Post
Why don't you call Grand Design about this. I'm sure they'll make it right. You won't get it fixed on the interweb.
He's asking questions about value and if it's the appropriate fix.
And yes, Grand Design has an excellent reputation.

The first question to answer is why did it delaminate?

The reality is that a fiberglass repair, done properly, can be patched in and not affect resale because you won't know it's there. I'd think this is beyond the capability of most RV dealers however, and I'd probably be looking for someone with RV "paint" experience or a marine shop that deals with fiberglass/gelcoat.

Is that paint/gelcoat on the side or vinyl?

Before I let shops do repairs like this, I ask to see prior (and existing) examples of their work. Many RV-shops will subcontract it.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:49 AM   #6
I called Grand Design

I talked to the factory and they agreed to bring it back to replace the wall. Thanks to all that responded.
dnyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:14 AM   #7
I rest my case. Grand Design is a fantastic company in the way they take care of their customers.

Jim and Georgianne
Grand Design Reflection 29RS
Ford F-250 SD PSD
jimbrv is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel