Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #15
I dont think i would want to back this in a tight spot but i wouldn't mind trying it

fishinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #16
Just a thought----- you are pulling a 14K trailer along a gravel road and come to an 8% upgrade. Methinks you have a major problem with no pin weight on the drive axle.

But then again probably less of a problem than a panic stop and all that weight twisting your unloaded truck sideways.

Rvpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #17

I think many are missing the possible utility of the device. The unit isn't a "towed" unit; it is rigidly attached to the back of the TV. It hinges up and down, but, not left and right and has the full weight of the pin on it for stability. It has its own brakes, and in effect, adds additional braking over the TV/5er combo. It legthens the TV without adding weight to the TVs suspension as a bumper pull would. Much the same principle that the double and triple trailer combos used by OTR trucks but with the added advantage of being rigidly attached to the TV so that you don't have the "double tow" problem in a lot of states.

My truck, too, rides better with a load, however, a "static" load (such as an auxiliary fuel tank or an ATV) is a lot more comfortable than the fighting load of 5er with its own suspension. My TrailAir Tri-Glide does an outstanding job of taking the "fight" of the trailer and dissipating it rather than transmitting it. It would be even better moving that "fight" off of the truck altogether. My truck can haul much more weight than bed load weight. With the device, I could put the 5er on it, freeing up the bed and putting one of our ATVs in it, or a big auxiliary diesel tank. I would not exceed GCW nor any of the axle ratings. A "toy hauler" without the excessive pin weight in the bed of the truck. I can't imagine anyone buying one of these and then not put some other load in the bed. I wouldn't term it a "kludge"...just some creative engineering, again a take off of the Idaho Tote:

Photos Idaho Tote rv trailer, tow your atv, motorcycle, golf cart behind your rv.

I spoke quite extensively with a fellow in the campsite next to us in Gering, NE who had an Idaho Tote on the back of his Presidential 5er. He was towing a full dress Harley on his and had been using it for about 3 years. He couldn't say enough good things about it. It didn't affect handling, although he said it took awhile to get used to the "unseen" added length when backing or turning, but, other than that it had little to no impact on his towing aside from the added weight on his GCW. He had all the benefits of a "toy hauler" (and this was years ago, before the advent of toy haulers) without losing the interior space to a garage.

I wouldn't dismiss it out-of-hand, nor consider it a "kludge". It apparently is engineered well and would, like the Idaho Tote, have a "niche" market that it would fit into. If my pockets were a bit deeper, I would give it consideration, there is that time we were in Oregon near the dunes...would have been "sweet" to have had one of our ATVs , or I could put in a 90 gallon auxiliary tank and never have to worry about "will I be able to get into and out of that station?". Never have to worry about the "90 degree turn"...with a little practice I would imagine you could put the trailer almost anywhere; the turning would be sharper since the pivot point is well behind the rear axle, even better than a bumper pull, I would have to guess with the steerable wheels it would track almost in the TV's wheel track and a radius of well over 90 degrees would be snap.

While it wouldn't benefit the vast majority, I find nothing wrong with the engineering nor the utility of the device for unique towing situations and I applaud the "thinking outside the box" for its inception. It qualifies for that "Yankee engineering" title that this country was built on.

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #18
Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From reading the Mfg. website; It seems they tout better aerodynamics as a plus by using this set-up which goes against everything we all try to do when towing a 5th wheel trailer.
We strive to tow it as level as possible putting an equal amount of stress on the trailer's two axles. This set-up tilts the coach to the front for "better aerodynamics"? I dunno...maybe it's just me.
Reduce overall height and you reduce all the storage that makes a 5ver special.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club

Sounds like you're a true believer. Good for you - we're all free to hold our own opinions and to vote with our wallets. Just because I don't care for it and have no need whatsoever for it doesn't qualify that as anything other than my opinion as an engineer and long-time RVer.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The 5er dolly has always looked to me as a solution to a problem that has not been really found.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #21

Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post

Sounds like you're a true believer. Good for you - we're all free to hold our own opinions and to vote with our wallets. Just because I don't care for it and have no need whatsoever for it doesn't qualify that as anything other than my opinion as an engineer and long-time RVer.

I was merely pointing out that regardless of what you consider a properly sized tow rig, you lose the utility of the bed to the 5th wheel hitch and load capacity, even though the GCVW of the rig hasn't been reached. This device, for those that need that space, gets you back the use of the bed while still towing your 5er. My scenario of using the device and allowing one to also carry a motorcycle or ATV in the truck bed, without resorting to a Toy Hauler, validates the usefulness of the device. Whether you want one or not is not being debated. I too, don't want one, but, I won't deny that there are those out there that might. I don't want an Idaho Tote, either, but they are still in business selling them to those that do. Because you don't want one, nor I, doesn't invalidate the engineering or usefulness of the device for those that might.

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #22
This tow dolly is faulty. As Rusty pointed out, a 3500 DRW USES THE PIN WEIGHT TO PLANT THE REAR DRIVE WHEELS. I would not want to be the one to tow that rig across the Arthur Ravenal bridge in Charleston SC, or the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in Washington State, or any of the many other cross wind areas that are encountered every day in travels. I have been blown across an interstate highway before pulling a 10K travel trailer with a SRW 3/4 ton tow vehicle. That does NOT happen as easily with a 1 ton DRW truck pulling a fifth wheel camper.
I crossed the Arthur Ravenel bridge in Charleston SC with the high wind warnings posted in my current rig with absolutely no trouble. That bridge is almost 200 ft over the shipping chanel, That rig would be a disaster in a high cross wind situation. I will not think of buying one
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab MAXTOW DRW, 2015 Forest River Dynamax Trilogy 38RL
Kevinc2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #23

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Is this really something new? I seem to remember a product called Hitch-Buddy marketed a few years ago. It was mostly directed toward folks with large SUVs that wanted to pull a fiver. Info on the Hitch-Buddy seems limited on-line currently.
Dave & Jo Ann
'08 HitchHiker Champagne 35LKRSB | '11 F350 Lariat 6.7PSD
Half Dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #24
National RV Owners Club
In Canada we call the hookup a "C train hitch " and in this case, as it is a dolly, it would probably be illegal as it is classified as a triple tow and requires a special licience.

pops2 is offline   Reply With Quote