Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
New 5th wheel hitch design

The 5th Wheel Automated Safety Hitch System RV 101 your education source for RV information

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #2

I see some major disadvantages.

* Increase in overall length

* Chance of severe jack knife on wet surface

* Try to back that puppy into a tight backin site, or any backin site

Old 01-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #3

Interesting concept...I suspect backing isn't an issue, it appears that the "device" attaches solidly to the back of the tow vehicle leaving the hinge point still at the 5th wheel attachment; similar to some of the tow platforms for attaching to the back of 5ers and MHs and with steerable wheels on the device, that attachment would work. It would take some getting used, but, I wonder how it handles leveling...? I guess the 5th wheel hitch post must be able to extend and retract...or you'd have to unhitch with the landing gear and then disconnect the "device"...

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
This pretty much allows people to tow a 18k with a SRW truck. I dont think poeple will be using there head and realize that this is too heavy for truck still. Not only that but this takes weight off the truck which reduces the traction for the four tires maybe causing greater stopping distance?
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #5

This device is used mainly by racers on the West Coast . It removes the weight from the MH, allowing them to tow a stacker car trailer.
I can hear it now, 'Hey dude, now I can tow a 40' 5th wheel trailer with my 1500 pickup".
Old 01-11-2013, 11:23 PM   #6

All BS. The TTs have same setup with 2 less wheels to drag. I would not drive over 25 MPH with a pup like that. Sure makes a duelly worth buying. Transorts use pups behind loaded tailers so when braking it will not lift the rear of the unloaded truck. So higher pin height would help. May be OK on heavy MH.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
People have no concept of GVWR and GCWR they think, I GOT A HITCH IT WILL HAUL WHATEVER I HOOK TO IT, see a 1/2 ton truck with a 35' TT no sway bar, no WDH and probably no brake controler in their truck.

Nobody borrows my car hauler unless the have a brake controler, and Im the only one I know with one. Freinds say "Oh im just using it around town" Then you tell them it also has a 2 5/16" ball and they normaly say no such thing

I know one thing, truck sure would ride better with that unit
Old 01-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I looked at the pic and stopped

Even though that's a mini trailer, wouldn't that be considered 'towing double' ?

and how do you tow level, is the height adjustable ?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #9

Another two wheels to worry about - PSI, wear and spare. Not my idea of any "solution" to any "problem" with the 5th wheel design and a PROPERLY set up tow vehicle. Your truck can't handle the pin weight? Then don't tow that big a 5th wheel.
Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was wondering if any of you have actually gone to the site? It addresses alot of the maneuverability and weight questions. The inventer seems very intelligent and the product seems sound. Mark Polk's statement that questions the "what if a 5th wheel was designed around this" is intriguing. I don't personally own a 5th wheel but I thought feedback from you guys that have studied the web site would be beneficial for everyone.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I looked at the pic and stopped

Even though that's a mini trailer, wouldn't that be considered 'towing double' ?

and how do you tow level, is the height adjustable ?

Its not a "trailer" because of the way they hook up "solid" to the tow rig

without going into a long story look how trailer toad hooks up
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #12

Yep, that was what I was trying to get at in my earlier post...it isn't a trailer or a "towable". It attaches solidly to the rear of the TV, much as an IdahoTote does. Being a "solid attachment" removes the "towable" issue. I can see advantages; ride in the truck would be much improved with no pin weight added, the truck's bed is clear (you could leave your cap on as the unit in the picture has), you've gained two more brakes...there are positives. You would still have to maintain your safety and load numbers, but, that goes without saying. By removing the pin weight from truck, for instance, I could carry an in-bed auxilliary diesel tank and still be "under" all the truck's numbers; I can't now because I would exceed the rear axle weight limit... I can see where it would have some usefulness; whether it would be "cost effective" or not would depend on how deep your pockets are.

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #13

it seems that it would be hard to back up, unless you have pulled a double before
Old 01-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave View Post
I can see advantages; ride in the truck would be much improved with no pin weight added.....
Perhaps that's the case in your 3/4 ton 2500, but my 3500 dually rides better with the 5th wheel attached than it does empty. As far as I'm concerned, this is an engineering "kluge" - a patch device designed to do a job by overcoming an inadequacy that would otherwise be present in a mechanism. With a properly sized tow vehicle, there's no need for this rig.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote