Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2011, 07:08 PM   #15

Yes you can tow it but can it stop it! The heavier trucks are made with much heavier braking systems and when towing a 5er you need very good brakes! You need a 350 or 3500.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2011, 07:37 PM   #16

I had a fifth wheel toyhauler setup that was 30' long. The trailer was 8500# dry fully loaded with the two quads and gas, water food all all the great things we brings with us was a total of about 10500#. I pulled all this with a dodge ram 2500, 5.9 diesel, 24 valve that was a 2001 model with on board air bags that really help the bronco riding effect. Anyway it did great pulling and stopping but I was pretty much at my max weight according to my trucks manual. So the best advice i can give you is be sure the truck can handle what you tow safetly down the road with your family.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:18 PM   #17
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
In these type of scenarios, most people usually miss the big picture. You have to look at the package as a whole and not just (1) part.
1: Most engines mentioned in this and other similiar posts will usually pull the rv in question and most likely a house if needed.
2: I would think that most people would/should be hesitant if anything hooked to a tow vehicle causes its suspension to drop noticeably from a horizontal position, as suspension parts to me are being unnecessarily stressed; ie, frame, shocks, tires, drivetrain alignment, trans.
3: I would also be seriously concerned about the ability of the tow vehicles brakes to stop an attached vehicle that is possibly to heavy for the tow vehicle even though most towed rvs also have auxillary brakes.
4: Doing your homework, listening to people that have been there, and using common sense will result in people ending up with a safe and enjoyable setup.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:15 PM   #18

PHP Code:
Fellas you have to remember the OP is in BC CanadaThere the trucks GVWR is the lawThere is no way that truck will have sufficient GVWR to haul that fiver in BC.:thumb
BC doesn't use the truck manufactures GVWR to figure gross weight loads or axle loads.
Actually BC motor vehicle weight laws are no different than any other province or state weight laws. Here is what BC actually says in part;
BC Motor Vehicle Act Regulations
1 thru 3 snipped for space
(4) The gross weight of any vehicle or combination of vehicles shall be the sum of the individual gross axle weights of all the axles of the vehicle or combination of vehicles.
[en. B.C. Reg. 68/71, s. 5; am. B.C. Regs. 413/97, App. 1, s. 11; 135/2003, s. 6.]
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>

Having towed for a living in the '70s and '80 era I'm familair with the '80s trucks towing performance. Apples vs oranges compared to the newer gen trucks.
IMO the '83 F250 is a poor choice for a trailer that size for reasons some others have posted. At a minimum larger brakes/suspension/wheels/upgraded cooling system/tranny cooler/etc would be a place to start. I doubt the 400 engine and the tranny are up to handling that kind of load due to their age and miles. The 400 engine wasn't one of Fords better ideas for a tow/haul work engine. The 460 was much better at those weights.
I would keep looking.
JIMNLIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:26 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osborne View Post
The 400 u can make plenty of power, if you want to put more into it. But its goin to eat u alive in fuel. Probably 5-6 mpg.
THe 400 Ford is one of the most underrated engines built in the 70s and 80s. They can be tuned to deliver the same power/torque as a stock 460.
THe one in my 77 4x4 pickup gets me 16MPG (running with a empty bed) without a overdrive trans.
It has been modded slightly with a 4bbl carb and intake and the timing has been tweeked ever so slightly (by yours truely).
When I put a ton of limestone or wood in the bed it pulls just like a good truck should.

I'm not saying you have the perfect truck for towing that 5er, like the other have stated a DRW F350 would be better (more stable) and a EFI 460 or diesel would pull hills better, but if this all the truck you can get at the moment I think you could work with it.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #20

I don't know what your budget is but I'm sure if you look around long enough you can find a nice used dually/diesel for around $10,000. I just found a 2000 F-350 diesel/dually with 125,000 miles on it for my brother and he picked it up for $9,500.

That 400 gas motor will be way under powered, over stressed and will get only 4.5 - 5.5 mpg. towing. It will also be at it's very limit or over with that 5th. How do I know? That is the truck my brother had to tow his 30' 5th and that's why he got the F-350.

If you think about it 4 - 5 mpg with the gas versus 10 -12 mpg with a diesel will mean you can pay for the diesel very quickly with the fuel savings alone.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #21

hi there,
personally i wouldn't even consider towing it with anything less than a 1 ton. if you are just going on very short trips it will prob b ok but if you are going on longer trips i would keep looking for a good used 1 ton. i live and found one in vernon 1 owner 2004 with only 26k on it absolutely mint for 20,000
good luck
jim
Jiminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #22

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Get the truck specs and read them.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #23

Will 1983 F250 pull 34ft 5th wheel?

Thank You everyone for your great advice

Considering all that was said I have decided not to buy the F250.
I have found some older F350`s with the 460 on propane and now will have to research if these trucks, (Both dual wheel ) will pull this heavy trailer.

Thank You everyone for your honest advice. Brian.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:22 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacusblack View Post
Thank You everyone for your great advice

Considering all that was said I have decided not to buy the F250.
I have found some older F350`s with the 460 on propane and now will have to research if these trucks, (Both dual wheel ) will pull this heavy trailer.

Thank You everyone for your honest advice. Brian.
I hope you have a large amount of $$ for fuel or don't plan to go very far. Lessons learned.... older gas units = 4 - 6 mpg. Diesel = 8 -12. Older gas units go up hills 20 - 30 mph. Diesel 45 - 65 mph.

I learned it the hard way. Hope you don't have to.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #25

I haul a 31'-8" 5ver with a 2000 GMC K2500, 6.0L gas pot. It does the job, but it also does 3 other things:
1- consumes gas as though there is no price on it 6-7m/g US, 8-9m/g CDN.
2- it slogs it's way up steep inclines. Mt Rushmore was ALL IT COULD DO IN 1st Gear!
3- struggles like crazy when confronted by strong head or quartering head winds.

One can usually get the towing specs from the manufacturer of the truck, or perhaps, on older ones, Google will supply.

I agree with the member who would rather have more truck than needed, than just barely (completely) not enough.

Good research and match ups will deliver long years of happy trails.
PapaBear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #26

I towed the same trailer for 13 years and 10 of them were with a GM2500. The truck was rated for 8600 lbs trailer with 6.5L Diesel but 12600 with the 8 liter Gas.
The engine was overloaded but not the truck and it was a great tow combination.
I know the 400 will tow it but will it hold the heat generated. Small trips might be ok but for long trip I know the old 83 will have a full load. There is no difference in power from F250 to F350 and I have a feeling that it will be the engine that will hold you back.
If BC laws alows for the pin weight on your truck then you will have to choose if its worth the try.
My GM2500 was never loaded enough, but my F250 cannot carry as much as the GM could, I have a feeling the 83 will carry it much better then the newer F250 due to the truck weight, we now have trucks that have only 1/2 ton springs because people buy on ride, I had to add 2 plies on mine to be able to hold the same load the old GM did.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #27

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Get the truck specs from the manufacturer. Dont start adding crutches to the truck if it wont handle the RV, find one that will.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:04 AM   #28

Having an older truck is not the problem. But start with one that will do the job you are looking to do. Start with a good base on a one ton and you will be a lot happier. If you look, you can find a good one ton for the same price as a 3/4 ton. Definetly find one with a transmission cooler and a big motor. Stay away from the small block engines.
Openroad3310 is offline   Reply With Quote