Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2007, 05:46 AM   #1

Just purchased a 2002 Alumascape, 30RKD 5th wheel and have read the manual twice and spoke with all my RV buddies here at work and still have the following questions:

1. We want to sanitize the fresh water system and have read all about pumping the bleach mix into the fresh water tank via the "bucket fill/ sanitize" hose fitting. Any suggestions on what type of external pump can be used and do we fill the fresh water tank to full capacity before pumping the tank water into the various fresh water supply systems? All my buddies apparantly have a gravity feed into their fresh water tanks. The manual doesn't mention to fill the tank to full capacity prior to pumping.

2. With respect to the waste water system, the 5th wheel has 3 slide handles under the trailer on the drivers side. They are not labled and the manual says the large handle is for the black tank. All the handles are the same size, just one sticks out farther from the frame than the others. Any thoughts on how I can figure out the gray tank handles and the black handle?

Thanks from a newbie for any help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2007, 05:46 AM   #2

Just purchased a 2002 Alumascape, 30RKD 5th wheel and have read the manual twice and spoke with all my RV buddies here at work and still have the following questions:

1. We want to sanitize the fresh water system and have read all about pumping the bleach mix into the fresh water tank via the "bucket fill/ sanitize" hose fitting. Any suggestions on what type of external pump can be used and do we fill the fresh water tank to full capacity before pumping the tank water into the various fresh water supply systems? All my buddies apparantly have a gravity feed into their fresh water tanks. The manual doesn't mention to fill the tank to full capacity prior to pumping.

2. With respect to the waste water system, the 5th wheel has 3 slide handles under the trailer on the drivers side. They are not labled and the manual says the large handle is for the black tank. All the handles are the same size, just one sticks out farther from the frame than the others. Any thoughts on how I can figure out the gray tank handles and the black handle?

Thanks from a newbie for any help.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:51 PM   #3

my thougths -

look at the pipe that the handles are attached to. The Black water will most likely be the largest diameter. Probably 4 inches.

the 2 smaller ones will be the grey ones.

If the handles are all to similar sizes, then I sound like a schmuck and you are no further ahead.

But, then you move to plan B.

Hook up your sewer hose, drain all tanks.
Close valves.
pick a sink, any sink, start running water. stop eventually.
pull a drain handle, if nothing happens pull another one, repeat the last time if still nothing happens. The one that causes water to rush out - grey.
Leave that one open, close the others.
Run water into the other sink, stop after a bit.
pull another valve randomly. If nothing happens, close and pull the other one. It should run the water.

then by default, the last one should be black. if you want to check, fill toilet - contents your choice, then pull final handle - should have something there.

Good luck, enjoy. Hopefully plan A works, because I think my plan B is a little convoluted.

03 Ram 3500, CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4, DRW, 6 spd, pacbrake, aFe stage 1 mega cannon with Torq tube.
The Big Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:28 PM   #4

As for sanitizing the fresh water system, there are several methods. Personally I just pour some bleach in the water fill hole and follow that by clean water. Yea, I spill a little, but if you wash it off quickly it is not a problem. Use about a 1/4 cup, fill the water tank, turn on the pump open all of the faucets one at a time until you get a really strong smell. Close it and do the next one. Be sure to do the toilet too. Turn off the pump and let it sit for an hour or so. Drain the tank, refil with fresh water and repeat about twice. Be sure NOT to use your regular garden hose! Or you will be doing it again. ONLY use approved fresh water hose ( the white ones).
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:15 AM   #5

Wow, I dont think I have ever seen a fresh water tank that did not have a Potable water connector on the outside ... I would also guarantee yours does too .... not sure what you mean by 'various water systems' as the water tanks, and the external hose connections, should supply water to all the faucets, etc.
On the valves it is likely you have one for the black, one for the gray and one master that is directly on the external connection pipe. Just a guess on this.

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:46 AM   #6

My 5er has three tanks one black and two gray. So you could have a similar situation. Do you have a tank level monitoring system, it should tell you if you have two or three tanks. The underside of my rig is open so it is possible to trace the piping and see which is largest. Your toilet should dump directly into your black tank that may help identify which tank handle is black.
Retired Navy. 2001 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. PRXB Pac Brake. Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover and Rigged to tow a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with 1 slide out
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:34 PM   #7

I would think a phone call to holiday rambler would answer the question , they have been very help full to me. Make sure you give them your VIN # and say that your the new owner , they will send you any update notice or recall info and to top it off they have been sending me there monthly publication.