Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-28-2015, 08:48 PM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
Access with slides in really depends upon how often you plan on stopping anywhere to have lunch. And it depends upon how agile you are and what your expectations are.

Most folks with 5er tend to travel and stop for a time. Most do not travel daily unless heading to a destination. Your class A is probably better for daily travel and if it has slides it will be similar to get around in a 5er.

The beauty of a 5er is once you get to your destination and are set up you have the tow vehicle to get around in.

The important part of the floor plan is when you are parked and living in it. We can get to everything in our 5er with the slides in except a couple cupboards. Some access is limited to climbing over the couch to get to the area.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2015, 08:54 PM   #16
We can only access our bathroom with the slides closed but for us it is not a big deal. We were interested in finding a floor plan that suited us while parked more than anything else. Our rear kitchen does not allow access to the fridge and sink unless we open the curb side slide about a foot, which we rarely do. On travel days we simply pack a lunch in a small soft sided ice chest along with some snacks and drinks and either eat while driving or find a rest stop and have a picnic. In 3 years and about 20K miles of traveling with this one it has never been an issue that concerned us in the least. I guess we are different than most.

We sold a 39' diesel pusher we had for 7 years to go back to a fifth wheel. It has worked well for us.

2013 Excel Winslow 34RKM
2015 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax 4X4 dually
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:24 AM   #17
We live in our 4 slide unit for weeks at a time without opening the slides. The longest on the road was 23 days. For me it was very important to have kitchen, bath and bedroom access. Also the option of opening any slide by about 6 inches for temporary access. Works for us for freedom of travel in our wonderful american countries.
We are now getting ready to leave for our return 2 weeks trip home from FL.
Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:19 AM   #18
We have one of the new Alfa Gold (3905SH) side haulers. We bought it so we can take our motorcycle with us and not lose living room as we would with a toy hauler.

When the slides are in we can access the pantry, kitchen sink, refrigerator, bathroom, and bedroom. You can reach the microwave and stove top if you need to.

So far we have no issue with the slide supporting the motorcycle. The bike is not normally in the slide while it is extended. It is only out with the bike in it for loading and unloading.

Another couple stopped at the RV park we are at with a 5th wheel identical to ours. They have had only minor issued with theirs. They carry a touring bike in theirs too.
Don_T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:58 AM   #19
Our slide is the dinning table and with the slide in can access everything except the stereo and TV.
tucsonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:22 PM   #20
As stated, your floor plan will determine weather anything, some, or all is accessible. On our Keystone Cougar toyhauler, everything is accessible without opening the slides except the closet. I did modify the access door to the toy compartment changing the door from opening inward to the living area to opening outward. That way I can get in or just look inside to check the load. We like to stop along the way for a quick meal or bathroom break. A big plus also, not having to use the restrooms at a crowded truck stop. lol
SDCOToyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:13 AM   #21
Going back to a fiver is something a lot of rv'ers are finding more of a suitable to thire needs. I loved the 42 foot toy hauler we had but found the ride to our destinations over some roads took some of the pleasure out of the trip.
We used a 2004 Ford F-350 Superduty .
Having some experience driving COE class (8) tractor trucks, I can tell you without a doubt, you don't want to use one as your tow vehicle. It does not ride well, is very wide, and unsafe in an accident.
I would like to try a class (B) type, the freight liner as an example. This type of truck will handle the pulling needs as far as power, and the air ride suspension systems are far better on the trailer. Hard washboard roads that bottom out your spring suspension will damage your trailer.
As stated in other responses, you'll have to look at the different floor plans to figur out what works for you as you travel the roads. My opinion, you can't beat a toy hauler floor plan, even if you don't carry a motorcycle. That garage area can be used for many options of your choice.
Oh, by the way, we moved to a class (A) DP because of the bus type ride, and the dw not having to deal with trailer hook up. Well we got half of what we wanted, we still need to use a trailer to take our motorcycles along. So there will be compromise any way you go.
Good luck with your choice.
Dan & Loretta, US Army Retired Aero Scout Pilot
2012 Fleetwood Providence 42P Class A/DP
Spartan Chassis, 8.9L Cummins 450HP
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:47 AM   #22
Really don't see need to open fridge. Everything falls out anyway from traveling. Bathroom yes
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:57 PM   #23

Originally Posted by mant View Post
Thank you for all the replies, I was hoping that access wasn't going to be a problem, I guess I will have to see any rigs we are interested in with the slides closed. I went on Evergreen Rv website and couldn't find a dealer link for the Alpha Gold line. I emailed them for New England dealers. What does everyone think about a motorcycle stored in a slide? As for the cab forward trucks, I did some research and they don't seem suited to RV use.
Alfa Gold is made by Lifestyle. If you go to:Lifestyle Luxury Recreational Vehicles, LLC. You will find a dealer locator and all of the Alfa(and Lifestyle) floor plans

2011 Ford F350 DRW
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel