Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #1

Retired Fire Service RVer's
New 5th wheel questions

We are looking to maybe switching from class A to 5th wheel and have a couple of questions for the 5th wheelers out there. First when most new 5th wheels are closed up, can you access the interior without opening it up? How does it work when you just want to pull over at a rest area to eat and maybe rest for awhile?
Second, how come I don't see and Cabover type pull vehicles, it seems like they have a better turn radius and some come pretty heavy duty? And last, we kind of like the Alpha Gold with the motorcycle garage built in, but I haven't seen it in person, does anyone know of a dealer in the New England area.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Good questions, someone will come along with help. We followed my sisters fifth wheel and stopped at rest stops. That's exactly where they like to stop because it has pull thrus? We all made sandwiches in our own RVs, they in their fifth wheel, no problem. (We in our MH).

480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Floorplan layout will determine what you can get to with slides in. Once you narrow down what you want, visit one at a dealer & ask them to put the slides in so you can see what you'll be dealing with.

We had a Cougar 5-r & could get to everything except the microwave/stove with the slides in. It was a FB (front bedroom) with no bed-slide, so absolutely no issues accessing anything there when we wanted to take a quick nap at a rest area.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
First when most new 5th wheels are closed up, can you access the interior without opening it up? How does it work when you just want to pull over at a rest area to eat and maybe rest for awhile?

This all depends on your floorplan. Our Montana allows us access to the bathroom and the ref. but not much else. To rest for a while, we put out our bedroom slide. No one's ever complained.

Second, how come I don't see and Cabover type pull vehicles, it seems like they have a better turn radius and some come pretty heavy duty?

Those are HDT trucks, not pickups. No matter how 'heavy duty' a pickup is, it's still a pickup. They cost more than a 450 type, but do have better turning than a long bed pu.

And last, we kind of like the Alpha Gold with the motorcycle garage built in, but I haven't seen it in person, does anyone know of a dealer in the New England area.

I'm pretty certain Alpha is out of business. Lots of other manufacturers are as well. Some brands that used to be known for high quality have been bought out and the reviews of their new products are mixed at best.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:46 PM   #5

On our 5er, we can't access much of anything without either opening the slide, or pulling the dinette table off of the posts. When we are traveling, we just leave the table unmounted.

Many manufacturers make 5ers with a garage in back. As a class, they are referred to as Toy Haulers.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:49 PM   #6

I will attempt to answer the questions I can. Many...not all, 5th wheels are designed to allow closed up access to the refrigerator, bathroom, and bed. You have to crawl over the bed.

There are 'old defunct Alfa Gold' 5th wheels and for the last few years (2 or 3) new Alfa Golds being built by Evergreen RV. Evergreen brought the rights to the 'Alfa' name. They make a model 3905SH Motorcycle Garage. It is an out of the box design with the garage in a slide off the living area.

Do a google search for 'Evergreen RV'. You will see a dealer locator tab.

Good luck
Old 04-20-2015, 05:55 PM   #7

We can get to our fridge, closet, and bathroom. The fridge and bathroom access were required for us. We stop and do picnic lunches while on trips.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:16 PM   #8

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Thank you for all the replies, I was hoping that access wasn't going to be a problem, I guess I will have to see any rigs we are interested in with the slides closed. I went on Evergreen Rv website and couldn't find a dealer link for the Alpha Gold line. I emailed them for New England dealers. What does everyone think about a motorcycle stored in a slide? As for the cab forward trucks, I did some research and they don't seem suited to RV use.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:35 PM   #9

No operators wanted to drive the cab over class 8 trucks so the big truck manufacturers stop making them years ago. Delivery vans have European models that do not have the engines for towing.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:10 PM   #10

The garage in the slide is a bold move by Evergreen RV. One big advantage is you lose a lot less living space. But how much stress is put on the slide mechanism would worry me. I would bet that slide mechanism is beefed up. Maybe there are supports that keep weight off the mechanism. When you finally see one in person you can look.

The dealer locator tab is in the upper right corner.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #11

We have a rear living with the door in the middle of the 5th wheel.
I can get to everything but the tv and don't need that for a short stop.
I think the door in the middle is the key.
Like everyone has said, check out the floor plan. I am very happy with mine.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:50 PM   #12

Like Danny says, be sure to check the floorplan. I have 5 slides but the door is in the middle and I can get to the bedroom, main bath, second bath (has it's own outside door), and the fridge so we have no problems if we make a quick stop to rest.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:17 PM   #13

We pull into a Walmart parking lot often, open our slides and crash out. No problems
Old 04-28-2015, 09:30 PM   #14

Walmart is a parking lot. Not for camping. Lets appreciate it for what it is for and not loose a good thing by not abusing the hospitality.
I use Wal Mart well and often but just park for a nice stay.

Tags
5th wheel