Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Due to a brain poof, I couldn't remember the name of the most-popular 4-seasons RV trailer suitable for full-timing. So I didn't include it in the earlier post. But it finally came to me: Artic Fox.

Unless you plan to spend your winters in "snow bird country" of south Texas, south Florida, or south Arizona, then you want a 4-seasons trailer as your full-time RV. The Artic Fox is a 4-seasons RV.

The lightest Artic Fox fifth wheel has 12,000 pounds GVWR, so it's still too heavy for your SRW. But check out the Artic Fox "Silver Fox" TT model 30U. GVWR 10,400 with a wet and loaded hitch weight of about 1,250 pounds, so well within your hitch weight limits.
Northwood Manufacturing: Arctic Fox

Same comments apply as in my earlier post. Don't go cheap on the hitch.

Normally, a "full timer" RV will have washer and dryer connections. But the Airstream Classic and the Silver Fox 30U don't have enough room in them to provide provisions for a washer and dryer. But almost all RV parks have washers and dryers available, so it's no big deal. After you graduate up to an F-450 diesel tow vehicle, then you can get a "normal" full-timer four-seasons fifth-wheel with washer and dryer connections.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2011, 12:31 AM   #30

Hoosier 5ver. Your HD SRW truck will pull a mid profile 5ver just fine. If you shop carefully you can order one with alot of the features you'll find on high profiles. Extra insulation, thermo pane windows, gel coat plastic outside, upgraded suspension, larger refrigerator, bigger air conditioner, fantastic fans, even electric fireplaces are available.
I have over 30k miles on my all aluminum frame crossroads cruiser in 4 yrs. and the structure is as rigid as when I took delivery. I've inspected all the interior seams and I haven't found a single wrinkle yet.
Look around, shop, visit some factories, you'll find a mid profile that you can be comfortable in. Adding Dually's to your truck isn't enough to pull a mobile suite anyway. Anyone who pulls one of those with less than a med. duty freightliner is kidding themselves about their safety on the roads. Gibbs

Old 12-28-2011, 06:32 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs View Post
Adding Dually's to your truck isn't enough to pull a mobile suite anyway. Anyone who pulls one of those with less than a med. duty freightliner is kidding themselves about their safety on the roads. Gibbs
That's an awfully broad and not always accurate statement. The GVWR on our Mobile Suites is 16K, and I'm within GVWR and GCWR ratings of my truck.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #32

You don't need a dually to pull those 5th wheels. I pull my Montana with my SRD F350 and have pulled numerous other 5th wheels. With no problems. It's a lot of personnel opinion for the dually and the f450. While everyone would like one it's not needed.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbass View Post
It's a lot of personnel opinion for the dually and the f450.
A particular truck's GCWR and GVWR ratings and whether or not either will be exceeded with a given 5th wheel aren't a matter of personal opinion - it's basic mathematics. The pin weight of the loaded 5th wheel and the loaded truck weight will determine whether or not a SRW truck's GVWR is exceeded.

Rusty
Old 12-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #34

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Rusty, I agree 100% with you. And I might add to your last statement that they might be within their GVWR, but they are over their GAWR. It is not the go power, or the stop power, but the GVWR and the GAWR is where the problem comes in.
Frank
Franka548 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbass View Post
You don't need a dually to pull those 5th wheels. I pull my Montana with my SRD F350 and have pulled numerous other 5th wheels. With no problems. It's a lot of personnel opinion for the dually and the f450. While everyone would like one it's not needed.
"Pulling" is not the issue. The issue is the ability of the truck to carry the PW and remain within specs. If you are on the Montana forum you can see there are those using SRW trucks (although that number is shrinking rapidly)...and the honest members will admit to being over the truck's GVWR...but will tell you it "pulls fine."
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:21 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320

He's trying to tactfully tell you have not ordered enough truck.
I got that, but I just can't go to a dually yet given my job, so I will have to find a compromise in a nice fifth wheel, maybe not full time, but which will give me good service and within GVWR and pin weight as everyone has educated me here. So now the challenge begins. I will tell you I passed yesterday and wanted to stop and ask him, a 2012 f350 srw pulling a bighorn and not sure if the titanium edition but he looked fine moving, but who knows, could have been over pin weight. Thanks everyone and happy new year to a great forum of advisors!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:24 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC

A particular truck's GCWR and GVWR ratings and whether or not either will be exceeded with a given 5th wheel aren't a matter of personal opinion - it's basic mathematics. The pin weight of the loaded 5th wheel and the loaded truck weight will determine whether or not a SRW truck's GVWR is exceeded.

Rusty
Rusty, what truck set-up are you using w mobile suites? Thanks.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:32 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redalertsc View Post
Rusty, what truck set-up are you using w mobile suites? Thanks.
See signature. We routinely order our trucks equipped specifically for towing our 5th wheels. This one (2011 Dodge Ram 3500 crew cab long bed dually) was ordered with the 4.10 rear axle which provides a 26,000 lb GCWR in conjunction with the Cummins 6.7L diesel and 68RFE 6-speed automatic transmission. Our 2004 Mobile Suites (which we bought new in August 2004) is lighter than many/most of the new models as it has a 16,000 lb GVWR.

Rusty
Old 12-30-2011, 06:36 AM   #39

Quote:

See signature. We routinely order our trucks equipped specifically for towing our 5th wheels. This one (2011 Dodge Ram 3500 crew cab long bed dually) was ordered with the 4.10 rear axle which provides a 26,000 lb GCWR in conjunction with the Cummins 6.7L diesel and 68RFE 6-speed automatic transmission. Our 2004 Mobile Suites (which we bought new in August 2004) is lighter than many/most of the new models as it has a 16,000 lb GVWR.

Rusty
Ok, so if I increase the axle ratio from 3.55 to 3.73, will that increase GAWR? Thanks.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:45 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
You don't mention which truck you're considering. The axle ratio options on our truck are 3.42, 3.73 (standard) and 4.10. GCWR increases significantly as the axle ratios get lower (numerically higher), but GVWR and GAWRs generally aren't dependent on axle ratios. GCWR determines what the truck can PULL (i.e., loaded total weight of 5th wheel) while GVWR and GAWRs determine what the truck can CARRY (i.e., 5th wheel pin weight).

You'll need to check your manufacturer's technical data for the truck you're considering, but the above is accurate for the Dodge HD trucks.

Just a suggestion - if you must have a SRW truck, you might look at TTs instead of 5th wheels. A TT carries only about 10%-12% of its total loaded weight as hitch weight while a 5th wheel typically carries about 20% of its total loaded weight as hitch weight. Therefore, a SRW truck can typically tow a heavier TT than it can a 5th wheel since less weight is transferred to the truck as pin/hitch weight.

Rusty
Old 12-30-2011, 07:22 AM   #41

Quote:
You don't mention which truck you're considering. The axle ratio options on our truck are 3.42, 3.73 (standard) and 4.10. GCWR increases significantly as the axle ratios get lower (numerically higher), but GVWR and GAWRs generally aren't dependent on axle ratios. GCWR determines what the truck can PULL (i.e., loaded total weight of 5th wheel) while GVWR and GAWRs determine what the truck can CARRY (i.e., 5th wheel pin weight).

You'll need to check your manufacturer's technical data for the truck you're considering, but the above is accurate for the Dodge HD trucks.

Just a suggestion - if you must have a SRW truck, you might look at TTs instead of 5th wheels. A TT carries only about 10%-12% of its total loaded weight as hitch weight while a 5th wheel typically carries about 20% of its total loaded weight as hitch weight. Therefore, a SRW truck can typically tow a heavier TT than it can a 5th wheel since less weight is transferred to the truck as pin/hitch weight.

Rusty
Thank you and will look at TT too, but prefer 5th wh due to amenities. I ordered a 2012 f350 6.7?diesel swb w new 3.55 which is supposedly closer to 3.73 end results but not sure.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:17 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redalertsc View Post
I ordered a 2012 f350 6.7?diesel swb w new 3.55 which is supposedly closer to 3.73 end results but not sure.
For 2012 F-350 SRW with diesel engine, 3.31 axle ratio is std and 3.55 is optional. There are no longer options for 3.73 or 4.10 axle ratios in an SRW diesel. The 2011-up 6.7 diesel engine has enough power and torque that you won't need shorter legs than 3.55 if you don't overload the tow vehicle over the 23,500 pounds GCWR. The wet and loaded pickup will weigh less than 9,000 pounds, so you can tow any trailer that weighs less than about 14,500 pounds without worrying about enough power to tote the load over the mountains. (But you still have to worry about hitch weight).

However a Mobile Suites 5er weighs a lot more than 14,500, even Rusty's older model, so it's too much trailer for an SRW pickup. The F-350 DRW diesel has 3.73 axle ratio and 29,000 GCWR. It will weigh about 9,500 wet and loaded for the road, and has a lot more GVWR, so the max trailer weight goes up to 19,500. The F-450 pickup has 4.30 axle and 33,000 GCWR, so it can handle wet and loaded trailers over 20,000 pounds.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote