Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #1

New buyer looking for answers.

Hello to everyone,

I know that there is no perfect unit from a perfect manufacturer. What I am looking for from owners is what is the customer service like (big concern) and then quality control. I know all companys will have issues but which ones have the least. I know what to look for in construction just need to hear about those two issues from real owners and there experiances.

At the moment we have the Montana 3790RD is at the top of the list, but it seams that there customer service is horrible. Thus the reason for my posting this thread. I want to find out from real owners about there experiances because if I do have any problems I dont want to have to fight to get my 90K unit fixed. If im spending that kind of money and there are problems I want to know that the company will be there no matter what to fix any issues that would pop up.

So sorry for the rambleing on but I hope you understand what I am trying to accomplish. Thank you for your time and I hope you can help.

Aaron.

Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2015, 08:11 PM   #2

This is a common question and a real problem. There are so many variables. So, ...

1. Go over every inch of the rig, everywhere.
2. Check each system thoroughly.
3. Check the dates on the tires.
4. Take someone who knows rv's with you, if possible.

Spend some time on this forum. You will get many good suggestions and read many horror stories. Learn from them.

Do not sign until you are completely satisfied.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B

Old 03-25-2015, 08:18 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Most dealers are franchises so the customer experience really depends on the individual dealership, not necessarily following brand lines. It will also tend to be better to buy from the dealer you will plan on getting service from. It is seldom like a car where the factory supports dealer service centers and they welcome your warranty work. Most service centers are booked up with customers who purchased from them and all others will usually take a backseat.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:07 PM   #4

Now that is new information. You would think that if they are franchise's the manufacturer would care more how there image is being portrayed. I've read about some pretty bad horror stories.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:27 PM   #5

Agree with it is better to buy where you plan on service. Else you are put in the back of the line.

I will not rant too much...but and RV service dept is not like an auto service dept. It will take longer to get anything done. IMHO service departments are run loose. Mostly untrained young people work there. I will try to fix anything before I take it to a dealer.

Oh...I bought my rig in Florida. Brought it to Ohio to a dealer that handles the same brand. They told me since I did not buy from them they would not honor warranty work. They would charge me then I would have to get refunded from the factory.

Now they were mad that I did not buy one of their units buy they did not have this floor plan.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:53 PM   #6

We were ready late last year/early this year to pull the trigger on our 3rd trailer ($75k ish). Then there were several quality discussions on the forum between Jan/Feb. The same thing dawned on me, I would not be happy at all if I spent that much$$ on a trailer only to get an RV service dept to give me the runaround. We decided not to make the jump for that very reason. On the other comments: my dealer was awesome during the warranty. Afterwards I cant even get on his calendar for 6 weeks if I do sched time I have to leave my trailer. We camp at least once every 4 weeks...so that doesnt work. Very frustrating. Since then I have learned to do many repairs, bearings, brakes, etc...It is very frustrating
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:50 PM   #7

I don't know about the other company's, but I do know from experience that Grand Design has a top notch customer service program. I had a couple of LED lights go out. The wife sent an email to GD and I recieved a phone call from them within an hour. I talked to JD about the lights and mentioned the DVD player was only playing audio and no video. He said he'd take care of it. A week later I recieved 8 new lights, including fixtures and a new DVD player. Needless to say I was very pleased, considering I was out of warranty by almost a year.
2014 Grand Design Solitude, 369RL, #107
2016 Chevy 3500HD, SRW, Diesel/Allison
Gsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:36 AM   #8

Thank you Gsport that is the type of info I was looking for.

I know I will have to find a good dealer but also am not worried about getting dirty and fixing my own rig. I am an aircraft mechanic (a&p) so I'm no stranger to fixing things.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:53 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Agree with it is better to buy where you plan on service. Else you are put in the back of the line.

I will not rant too much...but and RV service dept is not like an auto service dept. It will take longer to get anything done. IMHO service departments are run loose. Mostly untrained young people work there. I will try to fix anything before I take it to a dealer.

Oh...I bought my rig in Florida. Brought it to Ohio to a dealer that handles the same brand. They told me since I did not buy from them they would not honor warranty work. They would charge me then I would have to get refunded from the factory.

Now they were mad that I did not buy one of their units buy they did not have this floor plan.
Out of curosity is this dealer Tom Raper?
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:59 AM   #10

I don't understand dealers, the out of warranty work is $120.00 an hour at the dealership we bought our Jayco... with the back log of work they have and $120.00 an hour you would think he would hire more staff for service work, he'd probably make more doing service than selling the units.... and just how much good will they would get if they actually had good customer service...
Old 03-28-2015, 01:16 AM   #11

I too have a Grand Design trailer, and I'm in their owner's forum. Their customer service department monitors every word said, and they're very customer oriented. It's not uncommon for their management, and even the three owners, to comment on issues. They'll also give out their personal cell phone numbers.

It's a new company that has tried to do business with the better dealers in their retail markets. But the quality of the dealership is very important--and it's best to do business locally if at all possible.

Unfortunately, new RV's are put together with a bunch of parts sourced through Lippert and other companies--and any manufacturer is on their knees to the components going into their trailers.

My dealer charges $125 per hour labor, and at those rates they have real RV technicians. I wouldn't expect anything less. I too am mechanical, and just about every problem or repair you'll face is shown on UTube.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmech View Post
Hello to everyone,

I know that there is no perfect unit from a perfect manufacturer. What I am looking for from owners is what is the customer service like (big concern) and then quality control. I know all companys will have issues but which ones have the least. I know what to look for in construction just need to hear about those two issues from real owners and there experiances.

At the moment we have the Montana 3790RD is at the top of the list, but it seams that there customer service is horrible. Thus the reason for my posting this thread. I want to find out from real owners about there experiances because if I do have any problems I dont want to have to fight to get my 90K unit fixed. If im spending that kind of money and there are problems I want to know that the company will be there no matter what to fix any issues that would pop up.

So sorry for the rambleing on but I hope you understand what I am trying to accomplish. Thank you for your time and I hope you can help.

Aaron.
Aaron,
I would read this thread as far as companies go to help their customers on fixing issues with their RV's.

This is why we purchased a Cedar Creek model.

Work to be done on rigs at Goshen - Forest River Forums

Jim W.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:39 AM   #13

I would not buy a mass produced unit. We are not satisfied with the finish product. But I did research a lot of them and found Heartland service to be excellent. They even repaired units out of warranty and covered costs. We full time so no certain dealer for us.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:35 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
I would second Heartlands service! We had a 2006 and in 2009 we developed a crack in the side wall where the structure was failing. At the time we were fulling in it. Jim Fenner promptly had us bring it in and fixed it out of warranty no cost to us and did it in less than 2 weeks. I have NEVER been treated so well by a company. If they sold motorhomes I would have 100% stayed with them!

2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new buyer