Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
New Fifth Wheel

Can someone on this forum direct me to the brand and model of 5er that just came out with the front living room and front cap with a huge window in it?

Are there more than one mfg with this floor plan?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #2

While I'm not sure of how recent you're talking about, I'd just like to mention my Open Range 386FLR in case that's the one you're trying to come up with.

"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
That is it. Thanks Road Ranger.

Nice rig and we love the floor plan. The price is not bad either. What is the quality of it like?

Dave
Old 01-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Over the years the various manufacturers try a front living area and it usually goes away. They are always woefully short on storage space and little rear bed room storage.

Look carefully to see if it will work or not. It would never work as a full time unit for us.

ken
Old 01-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
we just had a long thread about this - the wife liked it too,
way your pros and cons and get what you want,
but the best views are typically out the back of a site where we wanted our living room... front lr will show you the street or your tow vehicle...
Old 01-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #6

Crossroads just came out with a "New" Rushmore 5th Wheel with a Front Living Room with a Huge Window in the Front Cap, saw one at the Tampa RV Show.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Fla View Post
Crossroads just came out with a "New" Rushmore 5th Wheel with a Front Living Room with a Huge Window in the Front Cap, saw one at the Tampa RV Show.
My coworker just bought one, they are sweet!!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #8

I have only looked at the DRV Tradition FLS. It is a front living room model. The kitchen, bath, bedroom is full height. This allows taller and additional cabinets, drawers, etc. This is also where most traffic is. Mostly just sitting while watching TV in living room. It is different but we really like it. The bathroom is not assessable with slides in though. This is only dislike we can find.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #9

I am sure Montana still makes them.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:09 AM   #10

The quality in the Open Range 5'er is as good as I know of in my very limited experience. We are full-timing and have been spending the summer months in it since we bought it in May 2012. We had some issues that needed to be looked at but I've been told by folks generally that there's always something that wasn't finished off just right and needs to be caught up on through your dealership. That said, we had no leaks or anything of a serious nature. As for STORAGE, that is one of the particular points that I like about this unit. The Open Range 386FLR has a raised living room and raised bedroom and has storage under both areas! AND my big honkin' tool box fits right in the front storage area. Yes, our living room view is out on the road out front or the tow vehicle BUT....we like the view of the "neighborhood" and our pickup is parked to the right of the front view so it doesn't interfere with that. While I find it sits a bit high on its suspension, we are very comfortable and satisfied with this 5'er. The floor plan does somewhat create visual divisions between the living area and the kitchen area but we like that. We've noticed that the rear living rooms don't have that visual break and so those rooms seems larger in the rear living room models because each is part of the other. On the downside, we don't like the waste of space of the king size bed and we're adjusting it to a queen size bed - the air mattresses under the two living room sofas are, well, air mattresses and we don't like them much - the mattress lies on a 3/8" sheet of plywood which we replaced with a 3/4" sheet of plywood - we also replaced the small hinges on that board with longer hinges because the small hinges are screwed in too close to the edge of the plywood sheet and broke through to come off entirely. The inside door handle is a tight pinch for my man fingers so I added a classy drawer handle to it which fixes that problem and looks nice. As with most, if not all trailers, you'll want to use the X-Chock wheel brace to help prevent movement.
"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #11

Front living with the big front window - only two manufacturers right now make it that way. Cross Roads Rushmore and Open Range.

A lot of other manufacturers make front living but put the entertainment center / fireplace in the front instead of the window.