Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2016, 09:47 AM   #1

New Fifth Wheel Frame

After reading the thread about the twisted frame, as a potential new fiver purchaser, I have a lot more to think about. Going from our relatively small travel trailer to a fifth wheel, the frame issue has got me puzzled. How can I look at, measure or otherwise tell if a brand I am looking at has a decent frame, or are they all the same?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #2

I think you are referring to the twisted frame on the rig that had flipped axles and had additional spacers added for more height. That would be a poor example of a generic twisted frame issue. Regarding a potential problem with a specific brand, go to that brand's forum and see if there are any complaints.

rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:27 AM   #3

Unless it's mentioned in the brochure on their web site then every 5th wheel you look at will have a Lippert frame. Those that don't use Lippert are proud of it and will advertise it. Right now in the lower to mid price range for 5th wheels the only ones I know of are Outdoor RV, Northwood Mfg. If there are others then maybe someone in the know will chime in.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:47 AM   #4

I think most if not all of the brands we have looked at have Lippert frames then. I am definitely not looking at the high end models, and since there aren't any Northwood dealers in this area. I just want something that will hang together for a few years, and not drop the tanks out of the bottom going down the highway.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:10 AM   #5

We are going to the Dallas RV show next week, so I will have another question or two for the salesmen. I don't really expect to get a good answer, though, ha, ha.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:21 PM   #6

I know Lippert get's a bad rap but you have to consider how many travel trailers and fifth wheel frames that are built each year. This is for all manufactures not just one or two that use Lippert frames even some high end units that use Lippert, such as Keystone's Montana models. What you need to do is your home work and review each model that you are looking at. Check the model's forum such as Keystone or Forest River forums and see what the users have posted about their trailers.
I have owned 3, 5TH wheels and none of them have had any issues with the frames manufactured by Lippert. And I know what to look for in frame design since I'm a retired structural engineer.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:16 PM   #7

I have noticed that the shorter two models of Cardinals have 10" beams, one of which is the 3250 which my DW likes. The longer models have 12" beams. Would this be a problem given the lighter weight and 4 to 5 feet shorter length?
Old 09-10-2016, 11:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastbird View Post
After reading the thread about the twisted frame, as a potential new fiver purchaser, I have a lot more to think about. Going from our relatively small travel trailer to a fifth wheel, the frame issue has got me puzzled. How can I look at, measure or otherwise tell if a brand I am looking at has a decent frame, or are they all the same?
2016 Wildcat 295rsx has a BAL frame
2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed Maxxis 16"E; AirBags;Andersen Ultimate Alum. 5erhitch w/Curt 4" offset;GrndCntrl 3.0 4pt;6000# Dexters;CRE3000 w/Wetbolts; Champ.3100 Invrtr;Furrion48 RearCam;King Dish Tailgater
hbillsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:39 AM   #9

I would like to know how they stressrelieve the frames after all the welding done on them?
Old 09-11-2016, 09:32 AM   #10

Seriously don't believe any is done. Stress relieving is a time consuming project.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:21 PM   #11

Quote:
I have noticed that the shorter two models of Cardinals have 10" beams, one of which is the 3250 which my DW likes. The longer models have 12" beams. Would this be a problem given the lighter weight and 4 to 5 feet shorter length?
Height of frame is a minor factor for frame twisting. I think weak cross bracing is the big issue and they are not visible. Mor/ryde or someone else makes an aftermarket cross brace or ez to have a local welder add some. Then the other factor is don't make tight maneuvers that stress the suspension and frame, just because a fifth wheel can be jack-knifed 90 degrees doesn't mean such maneuvering is risk free.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:26 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I think most if not all of the brands we have looked at have Lippert frames then. I am definitely not looking at the high end models, and since there aren't any Northwood dealers in this area. I just want something that will hang together for a few years, and not drop the tanks out of the bottom going down the highway.
Doubt that it is the frames fault if tanks are falling out. Those attachments are the responsibility of the house manufacturer.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:26 PM   #13

Ok, I didn't know that, Gordon. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:21 AM   #14

Jayco has was using an independent frame builder but then Lippert bought the builder.

- Outdoors 270DBHS

jtbuilds is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame