Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #1

New floor Snowballs:0)

Don't ya just love it when a simple project spirals out of control??? In my book, putting down new floor (covering) means taking up all the old stuff. In my case I found original Linoleum under carpet. Getting that up was fairly straight forward. However, now I got to take up the toilet:0(. So my question is what kind of maintenance should I do while it is out. I don't have a clue what to expect and don't live near a large city. So I am trying to put together a reasonable list of possible supplies when I go to get new flooring.

Can you tell I am a newbie..... Sorry but I have several questions.

I am working on a Terry Resort 5th wheel. It has been sitting unused under a shed for at least five years. I am going to be living in it for the school year in another school district about 2 hours from home. it will again be parked under a covered area. I predict it would leak like a sieve if it rained on it. However, i am in texas headed to SW New Mexico. yes, temps to a 108 yesterday. dont think i have to worry about leaks any time soon. What do you recommend checking first. No maintance in 5+years
As I have taken up the floor covering I am seeing water stains, but not any damage. Floors and walls seem solid. However the plastic cover on the wallboards has bubbled and puckered over some of the windows. I want to paint the walls, do I just cut the bubble stuff off and paint or does it need special attention.

Has anybody used a spray foam roof? Is that even a reasonable thought? What is your favorite roof repair/replacement?

Next where and how do I begin to check seals??

Anybody insulated the floor before putting down floor covering, is that possible?

I need advice from the folks who have been there and done it......
Many thanks
Pam and Don
pjb5005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #2

There are so many things to check with a unit that has been sitting for 5 yrs. First, get a new battery. Second, check out the water system, you will likely need to replace faucet seals and there may be leaks with some of the fittings and the water heater bypass valves. 12V water pump seal may be bad also, but it sounds like you will be hooked to city water, so that is not so important. Before you remove the toilet, pour some soapy water in the bowl and see if the flush valve moves ok, then pour some more water in and let it sit to see if the seal holds the water in the bowl (and odors out). Otherwise, you may need to replace the flush valve/seal.

If you have access to 110v, then check out the A/C, the blower motor may be stuck, with power off, remove the cover and see if you can turn the fan by hand. Same issue with the furnace, years of inactivity and the blower motor in the furnace may be stuck and if it's not running, the propane will not turn on. There is also a 'sail switch' that can stick and keep the propane off.

Very likely all gas jets in the furnace, stove, water heater and refrigerator will need to be cleaned of dust and spider webs. Also check for bird nests and wasp nests that could be blocking the furnace vent, water heater vent and especially the upper vent for the refrigerator (likely a roof vent). No need for an RV fire due to a blocked vent. And likely you will need new propane bottles or at least new valves and recertification. Possibly a new gas regulator, and check for propane leaks everywhere, especially at joints and flex lines.

Replace the tires, even for just a 2 hour trip, since they are at least 5 yrs old. You might find some used tires, just check the 4 digit date code so you know their age. Wheel bearings should be checked, chances are they need new grease. Again, even for a 2 hour trip, a blown tire or a burned bearing is no fun. And the electric brakes need to be checked at the same time to make sure they operate and retract smoothly. Check tail lights and clearance lights, corrosion is more likely an issue than burned out bulbs.

Regarding the bubbles in the interior paneling, you might try popping them with a needle, better yet a syringe filled with glue and then pressing them flat. Then the vinyl should have a special primer applied prior to painting.

Insulating the floor from above is not too practical, although padded laminate flooring will insulate better than new vinyl flooring. If the trailer has a sealed underbelly, then most likely there is some floor insulation. If it is not sealed, then it may be possible to use 3/4 inch thick rigid insulation board. Or just add skirting around it after you move it to the new location.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #3

Ah, thank you so much!!! That sure gives us a starting place. So much better than going blind. We went camping world today and they were absolutely no help. We knew more than they did and we don't know very much.
pjb5005 is offline   Reply With Quote