Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2015, 03:49 PM   #1

New good quality?

I was curious as to weather there was any one out there in the $30k to $50k, purchase price not msrp, that are quality, or is it a coin toss and you just fix what problems that unit comes off the line with and make it your own? Yes just 5vers, have to say. Thanks for any help but I think I may already know this answer.

Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 07:14 PM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I know you asked about new, but for that price range, there are probably many fine used units available. Keep in mind, most of the used well built units will be 'orphans' (NuWa, Excel, Teton, etc.).

Old 08-16-2015, 09:22 AM   #3

I've been looking around for a fifth wheel Airmech, and my conclusion is probably what yours is. Some a little better than others, none perfect.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:39 AM   #4

Thanks. The reason I'm asking about new is the wife found a floorplan she likes, but after reaserching I've been coming across the usual stories. People just bought new and have a list for dealer to fix. Was wondering if any in my original price range could be of any better quality, or is it just a shot in the dark with good or bad unit?
Old 08-16-2015, 10:33 AM   #5

There are dealers and then there are good dealers--those with hundreds of units on the lots aren't able/won't address the factory shortcomings unless first impression visible. After that, if you buy without having EVERYTHING you notice wrong fixed, it usually is very hard. A several day stay near the selling dealer can do wonders in finding problems, but then you still have the problem of having paid without knowing what needed fixing, and if the dealer will jump right on it.
Lots of horror stories, but those who have good results, usually don't post unless someone asks about the dealer/brand/model.
And, yes, you already know the answer.
Half Dimes has good advice if you are not dead set against used----looking at the RVtrader.com for your floorplan/model can give you a good idea of pricing/availability--but you still have to look at it and decide for yourself.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:06 AM   #6

Thank you wingnut. Unfortunately the floorplan DW likes is only a year or two old. Haven't found any older than that. Its the rear entertainment side bunk house 5ver.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #7

Since you are limited on potential used units, I would quickly begin to research dealer reputations in the area you are located and establish some sort of dialogue with the manager(s) to see how they react to your questions/concerns. Buying new does not guarantee a trouble-free unit, nor does it mean you can't get a good one--
Since I have not worried about a BH model for many years--what brands are you interested in?
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:15 PM   #8

The ones DW likes are made by sierra/sandpiper. I have 4 dealers within an hour drive time of me.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:17 PM   #9

But I have not completely discounted used units yet either. The wife's choice will be first runner up, then good used will be second option.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:06 PM   #10

In my experience, floor plans are the most important consideration when buying a new unit (or used). Happy wife. Sometimes though the most important can change a little over time. Keep looking and take your time.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:20 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmech View Post
I was curious as to weather there was any one out there in the $30k to $50k, purchase price not msrp, that are quality, or is it a coin toss and you just fix what problems that unit comes off the line with and make it your own? Yes just 5vers, have to say. Thanks for any help but I think I may already know this answer.

IMHO:
1) They're generally made the same way with the same amount of attention in that price range. Wood framed vs aluminum frame seems to be the main difference. Confirm suspension ratings and expect to throw away tires (or negotiate replacing them).

2) Manufacturers DO have different warranty periods, sometimes substantially different, and often have very different reputations in terms of responding to issues. Search the BBB. Don't just go by number of complaints, as some manufacturers may produce 10X trailers than another.. My advise is to read the response to consumer complaints and identify any trends.

3) Expect issues. Minor issues are almost guaranteed. Major issues, hopefully, are rare. The dealer is the first point of contact in repairing them, and ask how much time it takes for service PRIOR to the sale. Get it in writing. (IE - ours is now saying 4-5 weeks for service if I make an appointment)

4) Do a good PDI. Take your time. Hours. Get help if you need it.

5) These things degrade and depreciate if not maintained. You have to do the maintenance. If you can't do it, expect to pay for it.

For what it costs me to haul to the dealer, for the level of service I get, and for the turn around time, my warranty is basically useless expect for something major... It's easier and less expensive to self service, so that's what I've been doing.

There are 5ers that are quality.. DRV+ price range. Just like motorhomes, you pay for that quality.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #12

It's really a crap shoot to find good quality in that price range. I think you need to be in the $100,000+ range before you get to the industry leaders. At that point you're also going to find much heavier units, too.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:19 PM   #13

I'm not worried about small issues and routine maintenance. Having an A&P background helps with that aspect. I'm just a little nervous in getting something that expensive and having big issues right off the bat. Looking at the BBB is a good idea and will be my next step when I have time off.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:38 PM   #14

Is this what you're after?

Trilogy 37 BH

They are well above the quality standards you're after. Problem is finding one since Dynamax stopped producing the line. 2014 model would be better than 2015.

Tags
quality