Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Trying to remember how the HR deal went--believe Monaco owned them, and they went under. Then someone bought the name and revived it?
Joe
I know they quit making 5thwheel units since they were higher quality, higher priced and the market went down. Concentrated on motor homes.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #16

Got curious and looked it up--part of Allied Recreation Group now.

Allied Recreation Group

Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
They use I beam. Nothing wrong with i beam if it is heavy enough and properly braced. Can't find any specs it except 12".
Looks like their MSRP is almost at the level of DRV/Excel/Lifestyle. At this price level, I'd like to see more than sufficient frame strength. Lots of driving across the country and frequent leveling will probably tax that frame very heavily. IMO, stronger the better if you are a full-timer with frequent travel in mind.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acei View Post
Looks like their MSRP is almost at the level of DRV/Excel/Lifestyle. At this price level, I'd like to see more than sufficient frame strength. Lots of driving across the country and frequent leveling will probably tax that frame very heavily. IMO, stronger the better if you are a full-timer with frequent travel in mind.
But if we don't know we can't judge it can we? Reads double stacked i-beam (12" beam). New Horizons use 12'. It is heavy gauge and well braced. Wished HR provided more specs
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 12-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #19

Quote:
But if we don't know we can't judge it can we? 12" i beam not bad. New Horizons use it. It is heavy gauge and well braced. Wished they provided more specs
But New Horizon also wields another 4" tube on it, so its definitely better than a 12" I-beam by itself. So it's a 16" structure, not 12" and it consists of two wielded frames which is better than one.

But I do agree, there's not enough info on the Presidential to make any conclusions. Looking for more info on this...
Old 12-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #20

I weld for a living. I-beam is mostly used to hold up all these plants. Bracing greatly strengthens it. I-beam is rated by # per foot. 12x10.8 is an example. This beam is 12" high and weighs 10.8 lbs per foot. I have seen frames on 5thers that were very thin. Also seen 12.8 on a unit, Trilogy uses it. HR reads as if it is double stack 6" i-beam. Do not believe it is 12" double stacked. This would supply a more rigid frame. Uses tube steel in frontal area also. Not any in my area to go see either.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #21

Quote:
I weld for a living. I-beam is mostly used to hold up all these plants. Bracing greatly strengthens it. I-beam is rated by # per foot. 12x10.8 is an example. This beam is 12" high and weighs 10.8 lbs per foot. I have seen frames on 5thers that were very thin. Also seen 12.8 on a unit, Trilogy uses it. HR reads as if it is double stack 6" i-beam. Do not believe it is 12" double stacked. This would supply a more rigid frame. Uses tube steel in frontal area also. Not any in my area to go see either.
I see. I wish if there was an easier way to compare frame strengths between these units. I suppose none of the manufacturers will quote their lbs/ft rating of their I-beams, correct?
Old 12-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #22

Ok - just got back from asking about the frame. It is a 12" I-Beam that has trapezoidal supports. I saw a picture of the frame. Seems they used a lot of cross members. Walking on the unit it feels solid. It has 4 point Big Foot automatic leveling system. There is no aluminum skirting.

The sidewall is 2.5 inches thick of the compressed styrofoam. The most impressive framing aspect was the added thickness of the side wall aluminum studs.

The tank sizes are 100 fresh, 100 grey, 50 black.

Also found out it does NOT have a fiberglass roof. My mis-understanding from the 1st day when the salesman said.
'The roof is fiberglass'...ugh. This new salesman said it was an extra thick EPDM roof.

Again I have looked at a new 2013 NuWa Champagne, DRV Mobile Suits, Lifestyle and now the HR Presidential. IMHO the Presidential does compete well with those 5th wheels.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Ok - just got back from asking about the frame. It is a 12" I-Beam that has trapezoidal supports. I saw a picture of the frame. Seems they used a lot of cross members. Walking on the unit it feels solid. It has 4 point Big Foot automatic leveling system. There is no aluminum skirting.

The sidewall is 2.5 inches thick of the compressed styrofoam. The most impressive framing aspect was the added thickness of the side wall aluminum studs.

The tank sizes are 100 fresh, 100 grey, 50 black.

Also found out it does NOT have a fiberglass roof. My mis-understanding from the 1st day when the salesman said.
'The roof is fiberglass'...ugh. This new salesman said it was an extra thick EPDM roof.

Again I have looked at a new 2013 NuWa Champagne, DRV Mobile Suits, Lifestyle and now the HR Presidential. IMHO the Presidential does compete well with those 5th wheels.
Did you look closely at chassis? hr website states double stack i-beam(12" beam).
Old 12-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #24

The front is a 12" I-Beam. The back where they create a large shallow storage area is double stacked to create the 8" step up to the living area with storage below. I was told the floor is R39 insulation. I figure they must be talking about living room since it is over the storage area.

I will take another look at the picture of the frame tomorrow. From what I remember the picture was just the front half showing all the cross member.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #25

Thanks. Hr info is misleading. God bless
Old 12-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #26

New Horizons Owners Club
HR uses a white open cell styrofoam while New Horizons uses the Blue Dow closed cell styrofoam that is more rigid and has a better R value.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The open cell is fine provided a proper moisture barrier is installed.

Now on the laminated walls, the lamination process creates the structural stiffness of the wall. The laminated walls have less meta (or wood) studs and are lighter in weight. As long as the laminate and bonding remains in tact the wall will be strong. If it delaminates, the wall will loose its structural strength.

In the case of a "hung wall" construction, there are more studs in the walls and more weight. If there is moisture intrusion, it will not delaminate and loos structural strength.

I have had both types of RV construction and honestly, I have had more trouble with the laminated construction. The hung wall has not had insulation settling issues.

As for frames, the stacked 2" x 6" (2 high) rectangular box steel construction provides a stronger and lighter frame than a heavier wall C channel or I beam frame.

My Cameo has two 2 x 6 sections stacked and in the area of the suspension it has an additional 2" x 4" section added. The frame is still and as a result the trailer structure does not move. The rectangular box sections are more expensive and that is why most manufacturers choose to use an I beam design.

Some high end custom builders will use a very heavy wall I-beam and brace it sufficiently to stiffen the trailer, but these frames are heavier.

My nickels worth folks.

Ken
Old 12-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NULarry B View Post
HR uses a white open cell styrofoam while New Horizons uses the Blue Dow closed cell styrofoam that is more rigid and has a better R value.
Actually i got an email from the company that stated they do use high density block foam. I asked them what they used. Stated equal to Dow Blue.

Tags
5th wheel