Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2010, 12:18 AM   #1

New kid looking for advice

We are looking at a new 2008 KZ Sportsman 5th wheel. But being new at this we were wondering what kind of quality the company & trailer would be. Seems like a good price, & comes with the new factory warranty. Does anyone know anything about them? I'll be pulling it with a 2003 2500HD Chevy short bed.

Thanks in advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2010, 09:24 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi tickranch
Welcome to the IRV2 forums. Sorry I can't help with your request because I have no knowledge about that model. Someone here will have an honest answer for you shortly. Enjoy the forums lot's of friendly and good advice available around here

Cheers
Willey

WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi and welcome to iRV2. I don't think I have ever looked at a KZ so I can't help.

Ken
Old 01-21-2010, 12:51 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That truck should have no problems pulling that 5vr wtih the right equipement. It is important to take the combo to a weigh station and get it weighed. It's best to do it dry(before you load it up ) and then again after you load it up for camping. I would also make sure that you separate them and weigh just the truck as loaded. All of this data will make things alot easier when figuring out if you are overloaded.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:19 AM   #5

Which model of KZ fifth wheel are you looking at ? After looking at their web site, your truck should have no problem with any of the sportsmen 5th wheels, as long as you are not looking at toyhaulers. KZ is a good company with a good reputation. We really like our KZ. I expect some more folks will come around with KZ experience, most will give you good reviews.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:14 AM   #6

I'm not really sure what the model is, other than a 30' Sportsman with 3 slides. We went to the RV show, just kicking tires, & trying to get ideas on what we would like to get. We were really intending to buy a used unit until we saw this one, and the price. It's not a toyhauler, though. We are going to look at it again in the morning, & take a long hard look at, and swamp the salesman with questions, etc.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:33 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We had a 03 2500HD Chevy Silverado Crew Cab, Short Bed, 4x4, 6L gas & 4.73 rear axle that we pulled an almost 30ft Cougar with. I believe our truck maxed out at about 10,500lb GVWR for fifth wheel towing & the Cougar was about 9800lbs loaded. I just kind of remember when shopping for our prior 5th wheel, I kept my choices to under 10,000 GVWR so I knew I was well within our trucks specs & wouldn't be disappointed falling in love w/something larger/heavier that I knew our truck couldn't handle.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:33 AM   #8

Just curious, what kind of mileage did you get with it?
Old 01-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Avg'd 11mpg towing around the hills of OH/PA/WV/KY.

Lori-
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Old 01-22-2010, 11:51 PM   #10

Well, thank you to all who responded to my question. We jumped in with both feet, checkbook, and what was left of our sanity today! We went back & looked at the Sportsman (3 times) while walking around the show & talking about the pros & cons. Trouble is, we didn't buy the Sportsman. Last weekend we had seen another trailer, a Elk Ridge made by Heartland Rv. It was a far better trailer with better options, but had a higher price. We talked to the salesman a while & to make a long story short bought the Elk Ridge for about $1000.00 more than the Sportsman, and he even threw in the hitch & installation! Delivery will be in about 5 weeks. I finally bagged an elk, but it cost a heck of a lot more than my elk hunt to Colorado last Sept.!!!!
Old 01-23-2010, 01:00 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickranch View Post
...and he even threw in the hitch & installation!
I'm thinkin' the dealer got their money for it somewhere in your transactions. RV dealers aren't known for their generosity. When we bought our 5-r, our dealer supposedly "threw in the hitch & installation", too. But after some research, I found the hitch we got was about $1000 installed & during the sales negotiations, we got $1000 less for our TT trade-in than NADA showed we should've gotten. We woulda known better had we been more prepared going in to the deal.

All that aside, congratulations on your new 5-r. Safe travels & many memories.

Lori-

Tags
heartland, kz-rv