Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2017, 11:21 PM   #1

New member - Selling house and going full time in 2 months!! Need suggestions!

Hey there to all campers and full-timers! My fiancÚ, dog and I are selling our house and moving into a fifth wheel full time traveling within the next two months.

We want to be able to boondock(dry camp) more than staying at parks. Any suggestions on good fifth wheel trailers set up for all of this already? Solar? Or any to shy away from? Comment or message with anything you'd like!

We're trying to get the trailer and newer truck without any debt.

We will be running a full refrigerator and whatever else needs power, ac sometimes I guess. 4-6 hours a day we will be In there on computers working. We're thinking 30-38 ft fifth wheel. We will get a newer truck to pull that but I have a f150 eco boost now rated at 11k and just don't think we can find a nice full time rig less than that weight.

Looling forward to this group! Any suggestions comment below or message.
Thank you!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2017, 01:00 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim T View Post
Hey there to all campers and full-timers! My fiancÚ, dog and I are selling our house and moving into a fifth wheel full time traveling within the next two months.

We want to be able to boondock(dry camp) more than staying at parks. Any suggestions on good fifth wheel trailers set up for all of this already? Solar? Or any to shy away from? Comment or message with anything you'd like!

We're trying to get the trailer and newer truck without any debt.

We will be running a full refrigerator and whatever else needs power, ac sometimes I guess. 4-6 hours a day we will be In there on computers working. We're thinking 30-38 ft fifth wheel. We will get a newer truck to pull that but I have a f150 eco boost now rated at 11k and just don't think we can find a nice full time rig less than that weight.

Looling forward to this group! Any suggestions comment below or message.
Thank you!
First...a 5th wheel is not a trailer.

Second... I hope you do not think that a solar set up will provide all, or even some of your stated power needs. Most solar systems will only top off your battery bank, if you have one in the fiver. A good battery bank for boondocking will include 6 deep cycle batteries. You will need at least a 4000 wat generator to run an air conditioner and refrigerator, while boondocking. Your battery bank will not run an air conditioner.

Third...running two computers several hours a day, will require a phone hot spot and many gigs of data. It is not like your home comp set up.

Fourth...you will be limited on number of days boondocking, by how big your holding tanks and water tank are.

I think you need to research these issues extensively before hitting the boonies. I am not trying to discourage you. You are at the right place to learn ALL that you need to know. Use the search function and read, read, read...each issue is worth a long day reading about.

Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:03 AM   #3

First off a 5th wheel is a trailer......designed as a '5th wheel travel trailer

Second....
Several folks have solar/battery bank set ups that do quite well maintaining trailer batteries

Third....
Internet access is limited when traveling. You have to provide your OWN Internet connections. DO not plan on using/relying on any CG WiFi.
And you can only drink so much coffee at McDonalds

Fourth .....
Boondocking is only limited if staying in State/National/BLM
Yes the size of waste tanks has an affect on where/how you dump but that can be overcome....we can go a 7-10 days before needing to dump.
Then we hit up a CG spend a day or two then off we would go.
Or use a public dump station and head back out (some service stations/fairgrounds etc have free dump and truck stops have them)

Fifth......
Less is More when FTng
Only really need the basics. Haven't seen it/used it in 6 mos why haul it around.

Sixth ....
You are not on vacation...time has ne meaning
SO slow down, stop/look/see/explore....travel secondary/back roads and ENJOY!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:43 AM   #4

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Happy Trails!!!
Old 04-19-2017, 09:45 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Tim! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope the fulltiming works out great for you! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #6

Tim welcome to the forum. By the tone of your message it almost sounds like this is a spur of the moment decision. Some questions for you.
1) Have you been an RVer in the past?

2) If the answer is yes have you done much boon docking? When we started out we intended to do some boon docking and we had solar added. However, as we traveled our feelings changed and we never completed the solar hook up. So in effect I have a $2200 battery charger and have never missed not going any further with the system.

3) How are going about getting rid of all your stuff in 2 months or are you putting stuff in storage? We have been on the road for over 7 years now and it took us a year to trim down and dispose of things. Don't put things in storage. I have met SEVERAL people on the road that put things in storage and came back a year later and disposed of it and all they did was pay storage for a year.

If you do not have a truck and 5er yet you are really pushing it to make it in 2 months.

I agree that your F150 is definitely not enough truck to be pulling the size you mention. Now with that said you can full time in anything. It just depends on you. I know someone that was full timing in a pop up and they then moved up to a 24' travel trailer and they are loving it.

If you want a good source of information look at the Escapees web site. They have LOTS of forums and you can read for days.

Good Luck

Brad

bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new member, full time