Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2016, 01:03 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
New Montana High Country, Rainier Tires any good?

Just got my new Montana High Country and they came with Rainier ST 235/80R16 10 PR Load Range E tires 80 psi. The rims are 110 psi rated and just wondering if anybody has had problems with them or are they the China bombs everybody talks about. Haven't even stayed in it one night yet and trying to make it right before we head out Jan 1 for some serious miles put on it. Not going to be a weekend RV as we plan on spending a lot of time on the road. Yeah maybe fulltime. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks Russ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2016, 01:35 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Most likely are from China. I think they keep changing the brand name thinking people won't figure out that they're not worth anything but trouble. You could go with G rated ST tires or the LT route. I prefer LTs, since they cost way less and nothing is truly safe after six years anyway.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:07 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bennett View Post
Most likely are from China. I think they keep changing the brand name thinking people won't figure out that they're not worth anything but trouble. You could go with G rated ST tires or the LT route. I prefer LTs, since they cost way less and nothing is truly safe after six years anyway.
The LT tire is probably the way I will go but haven't heard of this tire before and hate buying something I don't need but don't mind buying if there is a need. Thanks for the comment
PS. I was surprised that they were rated for 75 MPH
Old 04-26-2016, 02:40 PM   #4

yep

All I know is you stand on the side of an un-mounted factory tire or the side of a light truck tire in E load range 10 ply then stand on the side of a Sailun or Goodyear 14 ply you`ll answer your own question.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #5

To the OP,

I suggest you do some research on these tires, so when, not if they go bad, you can have some pertinent info for your dealer when playing the "warranty card."

From info I gleaned on the 'net they seem to be China bombs.

Good luck with those!

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:18 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRex45 View Post
To the OP,

I suggest you do some research on these tires, so when, not if they go bad, you can have some pertinent info for your dealer when playing the "warranty card."

From info I gleaned on the 'net they seem to be China bombs.

Good luck with those!
I really couldn't find to much about them and I really don't want to have to play the warranty card. I have a pretty good idea what I need to do but haven't heard of these tires before and thought it was different that they had a 75 mph max. I thought most of the ST tires were rated for 65 mph and that is why I wanted some help. Irv2 has got the people I want to trust and have been great help.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:21 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by roothoss1282 View Post
I really couldn't find to much about them and I really don't want to have to play the warranty card. I have a pretty good idea what I need to do but haven't heard of these tires before and thought it was different that they had a 75 mph max. I thought most of the ST tires were rated for 65 mph and that is why I wanted some help. Irv2 has got the people I want to trust and have been great help.
Also with 6000 pound axles is there over kill. I will gross no more than 14,400 lbs.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roothoss1282 View Post
Just got my new Montana High Country and they came with Rainier ST 235/80R16 10 PR Load Range E tires 80 psi. The rims are 110 psi rated and just wondering if anybody has had problems with them or are they the China bombs everybody talks about. Haven't even stayed in it one night yet and trying to make it right before we head out Jan 1 for some serious miles put on it. Not going to be a weekend RV as we plan on spending a lot of time on the road. Yeah maybe fulltime. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks Russ
Russ, You need to buy some tires. A good LT option, one that I used on my Montana, are Bridgestone Duravis R250. Weighs 59 lbs, speed rated for 101mph. Got about 20K miles on mine and they look new. I might also suggest a tire monitor system. I went with TST 507RV, non-flow thru. You WILL have to install metal valve stems. The HP rubber ones will work for a few trips, but will fail. (been there)
Old 04-26-2016, 03:48 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
Russ, You need to buy some tires. A good LT option, one that I used on my Montana, are Bridgestone Duravis R250. Weighs 59 lbs, speed rated for 101mph. Got about 20K miles on mine and they look new. I might also suggest a tire monitor system. I went with TST 507RV, non-flow thru. You WILL have to install metal valve stems. The HP rubber ones will work for a few trips, but will fail. (been there)
Thanks I will look into the Bridgestone Duravis R250, and also the monitor system. We will be putting some miles on so probably a good idea. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:16 PM   #10

With a gross of 14,400, 20% is on pin/truck = 11520 on tires/axles. Each tire will see max of 2880. What are they rated at, for max load/inflation?
Edit--
Found the tire on Tredit website--listed at 3520lbs capacity. This is plenty of capacity, perhaps you should stay with them. Running a tire at way less than rated capacity will generally lead to good results.
And a TPMS is always a good safety item.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:05 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
With a gross of 14,400, 20% is on pin/truck = 11520 on tires/axles. Each tire will see max of 2880. What are they rated at, for max load/inflation?
Edit--
Found the tire on Tredit website--listed at 3520lbs capacity. This is plenty of capacity, perhaps you should stay with them. Running a tire at way less than rated capacity will generally lead to good results.
And a TPMS is always a good safety item.
Joe
You got the load right and the psi is 80 and also rated to run 75 mph. Believe me if these aren't going to blow out and cause damage to a new unit I would run them and save $800. That is the big question what kind of tire is it. Thanks for your help
Old 04-27-2016, 08:26 AM   #12

Used to be a tire of Chinese make was going to blow out, if for no other reason that the rep they have will make them blow. Usually, the tire is the bare minimum for carrying capacity to be legal on a new unit.
I have Sailun tires on my trailer (17.5s) and on my truck (19.5s) and they seem to be doing very well--17400lbs on trailer/27000+ total setup. Rainier may well be another brand that has learned to make them right.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:07 AM   #13

I'd run them for awhile. You have a big cushion on the weight end. I've been running so called China bomb GY Marathons for several years. I have 10,000 on the latest set. I also have a huge weight cushion and don't tow over 65mph.
Tread wear is exc. IMO speed, heat and being over weight are the worst things for ST tires.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:43 AM   #14

"IMO speed, heat and being over weight are the worst things for ST tires."

Completely agree.

Tags
montana, tires