Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
New or Used

2012 keystone cougar east 328qbs VS. 2007 jayco eagle 345bhs which one should we buy? We will be part timing it(six at a time) my husband, me, and 9 year old maybe 20year too. We will be up north Indiana in the winter and as far south as Texas MAYBE DURING SUMMER. Oh yeah and we have never camped before. Any input?

Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
Triple E Owners Club
This is only a decision you can make. You are the ones living in it. What made you dicide on these two?

1997 Triple E Empress, Freightliner Chassis, CAT 3126 w/ 275 horse's.
MD 3600 Tranny, 2011 Ford Escape Hybrid w/Blue Ox tow bar and Roadmaster Base Plate.
Amsoil Synthetic Oil only for my baby.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Floor plan mainly, we are look at ones with bathroom up front near master bedroom and pantry. I just keep thinking life is so great, I get to spent my time deciding which rv to buy.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
IF the Jayco has original tires and batteries, they will need to be replaced fairly soon. 6 years is the recommended lifetime for tires, although many stretch it a few more years. Also, everything else in the Jayco will be 5 years older. At about 10 years, a lot of stuff needs repair or replacement, so with a 2012 you are 5 years ahead.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
Maybe you shoould look for a similar model about three years old. As Bluepill says, you're likely to be into tires and batteries fairly soon on the Jayco.

If you read all the horror stories on here about build quality issues on 2010 and 2011 models, it'll make your hair curl! At three years, the original owner should have got the build quality things sorted under warranty, but the rig isn't too old.

We were price constrained when we bought our signature Class A, so we just took a deep breath on an '02. We're happy with it so far. New tires, new house batteries were immediate post-acquisition needs and I've since had to rebuild some cabinets in the living room slide because of water damage resulting from a rotted-out slide topper.

Overall, though we think we got a good one - 12,000 miles when we bought it, now just over 15,000. Front house a/c a bit weak - off-season project.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
Used anything. You don't take the hit on depreciation and if you haven't rv'd before you really don't know what floor plan you will like until you spend time in it.
Jan & Thomas
2012 Drv Mobile Suite
2012 Ford F350 Super Duty
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
Thanks to everyone, we are going used my mother sold me on used too. She said even if you buy new things can break and you can have problems and we don't want to owe more than it is worth when we drive away from dealership. We can't wait to start rv.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:16 AM   #8
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Telle View Post
Thanks to everyone, we are going used my mother sold me on used too. She said even if you buy new things can break and you can have problems and we don't want to owe more than it is worth when we drive away from dealership. We can't wait to start rv.
Smart mother - I think you will be glad you listened to her.
Tom and Amy from Northern Virginia.
2000 Allegro 454/Workhorse P32/TST/Crossfire
Life is a DIY project - enjoy it.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
You can get great deals on a used unit. The older 1999 - 2003 models seem to be quality built. We looked at newer ones but most had particle board cabinets, cheap lights, fixtures and just looked cheap. We had a 1990 Holiday Rambler MH which was awesome in quality so when we went shopping for a 5th we compared them all to the HR.

After looking at a lot of units we found the older models were better built. We found a 2001 that has 3 slides, 6 new truck tires, 2 new batteries, new furniture and looked new. Bought it for $5000 under NADA book and glad we did. There were a few small things that needed attention but overall it has been a good unit for the money. Good luck!
P.S. Also, find one that you can haul safely with your truck and not be over weight.

Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote