Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #1

New tires

Blowout today. We have a Keystone 37.5 foot and need tire suggestions. This is our first tire purchase and would like to hear your experiences. Thanks, Njoye from Jacksonville, FL

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #2

Tire replacement suggestions depends on the tire size and load range your needing to replace.

Generally if you have 7k axles I would go with the new and much improved Goodyear G614s.

Many folks with 7k and larger axles are upgrading to the commercial grade 17.5" LT tire and wheel.

If your axles are 6k or less a good LT with 3042 lbs of capacity will work great.

What size and load range tires does your trailer have ??
What is the trailers axle ratings ??

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The new Sprinter 5ers over 36' long have GVWR of 14,160 and two 6,000-pound axles. They come with 16" tires, and require tires with a minumum weight capacity of 3,000 pounds each.

If I needed to replace the tires on that trailer I'd buy nothing but Michelin XPS Rib in size LT235/85R16. Then pump the tires up to 80 PSI and be sure they always have 80 PSI in them.

The XPS Rib is a commercial truck tire rated for all position service, which includes trailer service. Most LT tires are not rated for trailer service, so I wouldn't put most other LT tires on my rig - including the other LT tires made by Michelin.
http://www.michelintruck.com/micheli...?tread=XPS RIB

However, one tire made by Goodyear is a twin sister to the XPS Rib - all steel construction and rated for trailer service and comes only in a few 16" sizes. No, I don't remember the name of that tire.

The only thing wrong with the XPS Rib for that trailer is it will be near the max weight capacity of the tire, without much wiggle room. If you prefer more wiggle room (safety factor?), the go with the Goodyear G614.
Truck Tire Selector, Retreading, and Technology | Goodyear Commercial Truck Tire Systems
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
However, one tire made by Goodyear is a twin sister to the XPS Rib - all steel construction and rated for trailer service and comes only in a few 16" sizes. No, I don't remember the name of that tire.
I'm not familiar with a Goodyear equivalent to the all-steel construction XPS Rib. The one that I recall as being a less expensive alternative is the BF Goodrich Commercial TA, but this does not use all-steel construction. I used the XPS Ribs on a previous 13,500 GVWR 36' 5th wheel, and they provided absolutely trouble-free service.

Goodyear G614s were OEM standard on my current 5th wheel, and I experienced two (2) tread separations with them, the second doing $2500+ in damage to the 5th wheel. Goodyear paid to repair the RV and replaced the tires, but in 2010 I elected to upgrade to 17.5" wheels and Michelin XTA commercial all-steel, all-position tires (4805 lbs @ 120 PSIG). As was the case with the XPS Ribs, these have provided trouble-free service as well.

JM2CW

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoye View Post
Blowout today. We have a Keystone 37.5 foot and need tire suggestions. This is our first tire purchase and would like to hear your experiences. Thanks, Njoye from Jacksonville, FL

Here is a Keystone reference. Read about the tire size. That information is mandated by the DOT to be there.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media2/man...e%20Safety.pdf

You could also join the forum listed below. You wont get as many recommendations that violate NHTSA safety standards there.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/index.php

FastEagle

p.s. We lived in JAX for 23 years. We spend a month each year at the American Legion Post on San Jaun Ave. Normally right after the New Year. They only allow one month at a time so we move on when our month is used up.

Here is a picture of the site we normally park in.

The parking area is right on the Cedar River which also has a deep water paved boat launching area.

ALP_137_-_JAX_FL_-_1-12-2001_7_ - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
FastEagle,
There was no bad advice given, all are good solid upgrades and alternatives to factory marginal tires. If you keep replacing faulty tires with the same faulty tires, then what have you gained? All the posts gave solid advice and even commented on the load ratings and why certain tires worked and others didn't.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
FastEagle,
There was no bad advice given, all are good solid upgrades and alternatives to factory marginal tires. If you keep replacing faulty tires with the same faulty tires, then what have you gained? All the posts gave solid advice and even commented on the load ratings and why certain tires worked and others didn't.
Frank
Sorry Frank, sometimes the direct method will slow boil people.

My agenda is very misunderstood by many readers. People tend to try and read between the lines as this is just a two dimensional format.

NHTSA has the responsibility to write tire safety standards and then enforce them. If you go and read their preamble it’s clearly stated there. Sometimes NHTSA writes standards, tells the tire industry to make it so and it becomes an industry wide standard found in all manufacturers SOP manuals and relayed to the public at large. “Sea Lawyers” are always present and will take a single line item and use it to reinforce their version of a particular regulation, safety standard or industry standard.

Tire fitment on the RV trailer axles starts with a single line DOT regulation that directs the vehicle manufacturer to meet the minimum requirements of that line’s description. Another DOT regulation requires the vehicle manufacturer to insure that their tire/rim and axle selection is properly displayed on the trailer’s certification label and tire placard. At the time of first sale the installed tires, rims and axle sizes must match the information on the labeling. The DOT is very specific with that because they want the owner to have proper minimum tire requirements as determined by the vehicle manufacturer. Along with the tire information is the recommended tire pressures which also become the minimum standard for that vehicle (exceptions will be found in the owner’s manual) and the OE tires. They are the model for all subsequent tire replacements including “plus sizing” or design changes.

In the NHTSA reference below you will find all the information needed to support what I have said. In the reference you will find in red letters a statement - in part - that establishes the vehicle manufacturer as being total responsible for setting recommended tire pressures. The information found in “tire size” on page five is verbatim in all RV trailer owner’s manuals and found even in the most obscure - maybe to you - tire manufacturers SOP manuals.

This one is best viewed at mag +150.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/Vehic...s/brochure.pdf

Yep, I know, it’s for cars and trucks. So what? It’s an industry wide standard that is very easily overlooked by tire sales people if you don’t have your certification label/tire placard information in hand. This manufacturer got concerned and reinforced their position on the standard.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=nitto%20tire%20safety%20bulletin& source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnit totire.com%2FContent%2Fpdf%2FProper%2520Selection% 2520of%2520Replacement%2520Tires%2520-%2520Technical%2520Bulletin.pdf&ei=RWoPUPbRMeGd6AH tp4G4Ag&usg=AFQjCNHELMHVLEn11D8Na_Yiids5vb8jMw

FastEagle

FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires