Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #29

If you need tires with a higher rating that 3042 each consider a tire wheel package from this place
Trailer Tires and Wheels - trailer tires, boat trailer tires, trailer wheels, boat trailer wheels, aluminum trailer wheels
in 17.5 inch wheel size.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by diandtom View Post
I got the Michelin XPS Rib and love them. I had a lot of trouble with the Goodyears that were on our fiver. I liked them so much I had the dealer move them to our new fiver in Jan.
I had a similar experience with our last Jayco Designer XL 3610 RLTS. It came with LT235/85R-16E Goodyear Wrangler HT tires (rated 3042 lbs @ 80 PSIG, by the way ), and I replaced these with LT235/85R-16E Michelin XPS Ribs. The all-steel-construction XPS Ribs ran so much cooler that we could pull into an Interstate rest area in the summertime and I could put my hand on the treads of the tires whereas I could stand next to the fabric-and-steel Goodyears and feel the heat radiating off of them. Needless to say, we never had a problem in years of long-distance travel with the XPS Ribs.

I was so impressed with the XPS Ribs that my trusty ole Dodge dually wears them as well. As noted on the Dodge/Cummins forums, they are pretty much standard issue for the hot-shot trucks that need absolute reliability and long mileage.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #31
Commercial Member

Clarification in terms needed

ChallengerRV
Not sure if I would trust the tire shop salesman.
According to the information I can find, the PrimeWell P100 in a "LT235/85R16 120S" is a LR-E All Season tire rated at 3042# and 80 psi. As an "S" speed rated tire it does not appear to be limited to 65 mph. Also the tread pattern seems a bit agressive for a trailer application. The Max Load and Max Inflation are molded into the sidewall of all DOT tires. The info is also available if you Google Primewell pa100 and check the Firestone site for the specific size.
As others have pointed out there are ST235/85R16 LR-E tires rated at 3640# and 80 psi with a 65 mph MAX. Note the Max speed does not mean average or occasionally its OK to go faster. It means MAX.
What I haven't seen is a statement of the actual load on tour tires when fully loaded.

RustyJC
Suggested you could go with a LR-G and inflate to 110 psi but I am not sure if your wheels are rated that high. Your wheels should have a max load and max inflation pressure.

Many posters
Come on folks if you want to jump in, please use the correct terms.
a 235/85R16 size tire is not the same "size" as a LT235/85R16 120S or the same "Size" as a ST235/85R16. Some have made this mistake by confusing the LT type with the ST type tires while at the same time leaving the type tire letters off their post.
If you are going to state a tire size please post the complete tire size and include the "Type" prefix and include the Service Description if the tire is so marked or marketed. Ya it's complex but please make an effort to be accurate. This partial information is just creating confusion and I don't think really helping ChallengerRV.
Also load capacity is not the same as Load Range or as Load Index. If you are not sure just Google the different terms or go to Wikipedia and search "Tire Code".
Ply Rating went out in the 70's. Please be current and talk Load Range and if not sure then state the Max inflation pressure as marked on the tire.

Ecker
The Tire & Rim Association does publish a book with pages and pages of tables showing tire size with the capacity in pounds or Kg and the Load Range and Load Index associated with that Load Range and inflation for each size.

FastEagle
Thanks for the link to the RV specs.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:15 AM   #32

Excerpt from 2007 Final Rule.

Several tire industry commenters suggested that the maximum load rating is of no use to consumers, especially in light of the load information proposed to be placed on the vehicle placard, and that it should be replaced by the load index requirement contained in GTS-2000 and ECE Regulation Nos. 30 and 54.�The agency disagrees that the maximum load rating is of no use for consumers.�The maximum load rating provides information that enables consumers to make informed decisions about towing capacity and loading conditions under certain vehicle applications.�In contrast, the load index recommended by industry commenters provides a code number, not provide an actual weight value, to consumers.�This code number does not provide readily apparent or available information to consumers and would make it necessary for a vehicle operator to look to an index in the owner�s manual or a tire industry publication to determine the actual tire maximum load.�The agency does not dispute that a load index value may aid consumers when purchasing replacement tires, but it believes that a maximum load rating is more informative and necessary for consumer reference when attempting to safely load their vehicles.�Further, manufacturers are welcome to add, in addition to the maximum load rating, the load index to the tire sidewall and most already do so.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:32 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
RustyJC
Suggested you could go with a LR-G and inflate to 110 psi but I am not sure if your wheels are rated that high. Your wheels should have a max load and max inflation pressure.
Not really. I just said that our 5th wheel uses the Goodyear G614 RST tires in an LT235/85R-16G size that are rated 3750 lbs @ 110 PSIG. The wheels used in this application are, indeed, heavier and rated for this load and inflation pressure.

Rusty
Old 03-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK. with all the tire experts here (and I mean that sincerely) let me ask a different question albeit same topic. I too am ready to get new tires for my 5er (GVWR 16,500#). I had considered getting LRH tires based on the reasoning Rusty mentioned way earlier in this thread; tires RV manufacturers use are slightly higher that GVWR rating of the RV. While I do have 7000# axles, they do not have the centering hub on the axle that most rims (rated for LRH tires) need. On my axles, the lug nuts center the rim on the axle.

But here is my question:

I have heard many replacing their trailer tires with LT tires. I have been cautioned against doing this because the axle placement on RV Trailers is towards the center of the trailer and the tires have a lot of flex on sharp turns. I've been told that LT tires do not have that kind of flex.

True or myth??????

Inquiring mind want to know, and I don't trust sales people.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
I have heard many replacing their trailer tires with LT tires. I have been cautioned against doing this because the axle placement on RV Trailers is towards the center of the trailer and the tires have a lot of flex on sharp turns. I've been told that LT tires do not have that kind of flex.

True or myth??????

The LT tire I mentioned (Goodyear G614 RST) comes only in LT235/85R-16G size rated 3750 lbs @ 110 psig and is a trailer-specific tire. See HERE.

These tires were original equipment on my current 5th wheel.

Rusty
Old 03-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
OK. with all the tire experts here (and I mean that sincerely) let me ask a different question albeit same topic. I too am ready to get new tires for my 5er (GVWR 16,500#). I had considered getting LRH tires based on the reasoning Rusty mentioned way earlier in this thread; tires RV manufacturers use are slightly higher that GVWR rating of the RV. While I do have 7000# axles, they do not have the centering hub on the axle that most rims (rated for LRH tires) need. On my axles, the lug nuts center the rim on the axle.

But here is my question:

True or myth??????

The Goodyear LT235/85R16 LRG tire is one of only a few 16” Light Truck tires currently being produced with enough load capacity for the 7000# axles. Because they are rated at 3750# @ 110 psi they are proving to be somewhat of a problem when the axles are carrying close to their limit. You can do some browsing on the NuWa owners forum where many problems have been expressed by owners with those wheels/tires and axles. The NuWa CEO is an active participant on that forum. Many there are upgrading to the Medium Truck tire with the higher LRH 17.5” wheels/tires.

Questions about the dynamics of the wheel/tire, axle and suspension can best be answered by your RV trailer’s manufacturer. They built it and therefore are the model experts. When considering extensive changes in suspension components it is highly recommended to consult with the vehicle manufacturer.

FastEagle
Old 03-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #37
csm

Well you guys are miles and miles ahead of me on this so help me out a little because I am the new guy in tires. I just bought this little 25' coachman with a blowed out spare st 205/75r15. I am assuming my rims are 15" so I have to stay with 15s? If so what do I need to buy so all are not blow outs!
Old 03-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #38
Commercial Member

CSM
Do you have enough usable tires to get your unit to a local scale? To know the minimum tire (load and inflation) you need you really need to get the facts on your real loads. You need to load the RV with everything you expect to ever carry including water food propane etc. Now inflate the tires you ahve to the Maximum marked on the sidewall and drive carefully to a loacal scale. At a mimimum you need to figure out the load on each axle. It would be good if you could get side to side also.
If you post the results here I and others who have access to Load & Inflation tables can provide the information you need.
No reason to buy a tire that needs more inflation than your wheels can handle. You also need to be sure none of your tires are overloaded.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
CSM
Do you have enough usable tires to get your unit to a local scale? To know the minimum tire (load and inflation) you need you really need to get the facts on your real loads. You need to load the RV with everything you expect to ever carry including water food propane etc. Now inflate the tires you ahve to the Maximum marked on the sidewall and drive carefully to a loacal scale. At a mimimum you need to figure out the load on each axle. It would be good if you could get side to side also.
If you post the results here I and others who have access to Load & Inflation tables can provide the information you need.
No reason to buy a tire that needs more inflation than your wheels can handle. You also need to be sure none of your tires are overloaded.

One of the primary considerations when selecting tires for the RV trailer is the axle rating. Regardless of how light it may weigh out you still must equal or exceed the axle load capacity with the tire load capacity.

Weighing our RV trailers periodically is a good habit to get into. It will help you stay under a MAX load condition. Getting right down to checking each axle or position load is very unpractical with the RV trailer. Itís very difficult to keep up with the everyday "stuff" added to and subtracted from our last known weight. So do what your placard tells you, air your tires to maximum sidewall pressures and try really hard to stay under the GVWR.

FastEagle
Old 03-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm View Post
Well you guys are miles and miles ahead of me on this so help me out a little because I am the new guy in tires. I just bought this little 25' coachman with a blowed out spare st 205/75r15. I am assuming my rims are 15" so I have to stay with 15s? If so what do I need to buy so all are not blow outs!
CSM; You have options that 16" tire users do not. Check this link for load range F,G, and H 15" ST tires. TBC SIGMAS TRAILER TIRES. That is not an end-all solution though, you must have rims with the capacity to use these tires. Remember, ALL ST tires must be operated at maximum sidewall pressure, which means buying new rims too.
Do not use load/inflation charts for ST tires. BTW, those charts_ they reflect the MINIMUM acceptable tire pressure for the corresponding load, not necessarily the optimum pressure.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #41
csm

Guys, I really really thank you all for your input. I would not trust these tires to go around the block and we don't have a scale within 40 miles, reguardless after the 40 foot king of the road we had up until last year, this thing weighs nothing. It is as I've said before a standard 26 foot coachman with a very little load. We'll be using it to make maybe 5k a year and will be staying in it maybe a week at a time so a large load is not needed. I have almost decided on D or E rated maxxis 8008 unless something drastic changes my mind. My big question is will they go on the wheels I have now? Again thanks for all the input.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #42

I put Green Ball WS1606MC 3760 lb 110 psi 16" wheels on our 6 lug axles http://www.greenball.com/

and 245 Ribs. Loving it Welcome to Michelin North America RV Website