Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2015, 06:00 PM   #29

NEW to 5th Wheel looking for advise on a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
Still waiting.....

There's plenty of information to be found, not my problem as I'm 100% legal. If there are lawyers specializing in RV related accidents there's obviously money to be made for someone and it's a known issue.

Insurance companies have their own lawyers. Their job is to find a reason for them not to pay. That's their job, pretty easy one on an overloaded RV.

http://blog.myphillylawyer.com/2012/...ized-vehicles/

http://www.chicagolawyer.com/car-acc...cle-accidents/

http://rosenbaumandassociates.com/pr.../rv-accidents/
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2015, 07:46 PM   #30

Another law firm specializing in RV accidents and also gives some statistics. I'm not saying it's unsafe, that's not the point I'm making. I just don't want some greedy lawyer taking what I've worked my entire life to obtain. These lawyers are everywhere and everyone's looking for an easy way out to retirement.

https://www.millerandzois.com/recrea...accidents.html
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:59 PM   #31

Excel Owners Club
None of those links answers the question I posed.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:59 PM   #32

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
C130,
Those arguing are the ones that are towing an overloaded truck, or they say the manufacturer says my truck can tow xxxxxx# and my trailer weighs less than that. It doesn't matter that they are a few hundred # over the GAWR on the rear or a couple thousand # over the GVWR of the truck.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:59 PM   #33

Personal Vehicle Towing Liability for RV’ers — PersonalInjuryClaimsBlawg

Cut & Paste:

Well, after almost a year has passed since my buddy lost control of his FS3000 toy hauler being pulled by his F-250 coming down Sierra pass. He had sway bars and bags. The trailer swayed somehow and took over the control of his tow rig. He ended up smashing into another vehicle and the passenger in the other was killed and the driver injured.

The highway patrol cited him for hauling the trailer with a tow vehicle that was not rated for the weights of the trailer even though he was not too loaded up. The injured sued him big time, the insurance company disowned him due to the fact that he was improperly rigged and was "using his vehicle for purposes not intended by the manufacturer" even though they insured both vehicles.

He is awaiting trial for manslaughter, lost a civil suit for 1.2 million dollars, of which he was able to get 300,000 dollars from his insurances company sold his home, toys and vacation property to pay for it.

His wife divorced him and he is probably going to do some time.

Bottom line is the man is broke, lost his wife, affected PERMANENTLY the life of another man, and killed a woman all because he didn't want to spend another few grand for the right sized tow vehicle.

Moral of this lesson: BE WARNED! You idiots out there that know you are over limits or running too small size tow rigs, PRAY you never get in an accident!

If you have any questions about this, I know the whole story and would be happy to share if any of you want to know more.

Who they gonna Call!!

http://www.justaccidentlaw.com/motor...s-motor-homes/
DBL Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:13 PM   #34

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
C130,
Those arguing are the ones that are towing an overloaded truck, or they say the manufacturer says my truck can tow xxxxxx# and my trailer weighs less than that. It doesn't matter that they are a few hundred # over the GAWR on the rear or a couple thousand # over the GVWR of the truck.
Frank
Not me.

I am within all specs for my truck and trailer loaded for travel.

I have posted my CAT scale weights.

Many DRW drivers have never bothered scaling their lashup. They might be surprised.

Those that live in glass houses should not cast stones.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 04-11-2015, 09:44 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
I always read about being "legal". Can you post verifiable court cases where someone was prosecuted for towing a non-commercial RV over the weight rating posted on the vehicle. I am all for safety and common sense, but stop the fear mongering by throwing the legal card.
Russel - There will likely be very few verifiable court cases for this. The ticket is a summary conviction. You pay the fine and go away or you go to court to fight the ticket. Since all of the weights are from a certified scale the chances of getting the ticket overturned are extremely low. About the only thing you could do would be to hire someone to check the acccuracy of the scale. A fairly expensive undertaking that would cost you more than the ticket.

I know a fellow who was pulled on to the scale with an overloaded trailer. It cost him 800 in fines and he had to get another truck to pull the load.

I have personally seen the highway blocked off and all vehicles being pulled into a scale including half tons loaded with firewood. From the looks of the owners stacking firewood in the parking area I believe they were ticketed.

Just because you have not heard of this happening does not mean it does not happen. Highway enforcement folks have the right to pull anyone they want into a scale if they feel the vehicle is overloaded and/or unsafe. It is part of their mandate for highway safety.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:49 PM   #36

Excel Owners Club
Gordon, you are incorrect.

Please tell me what state you personally saw the highway blocked and all non-commercial vehicles scaled.

I cry foul.

Show me PROOF that this occurs. No hearsay.

Stop the fear mongering.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 04-11-2015, 10:15 PM   #37

My $0.02USD. Given the choice, I would rather be on the same highway with someone who knows the limitations of his TV/trailer combination, regardless of whether it exactly satisfies the math or not. I have talked to folks who can recite the numbers and how to calculate them, yet have no common sense beyond that. They're the guys that brag about driving 70mph all day long or riding their brakes all the way down long grades or just assuming because the math works out right, they are automatically safe. No matter what the scales say, drive it like it weighs 8 or 10 tons, because it probably does!!
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:39 AM   #38

To the op. ....you know what? Get whatever truck you want. I don't really care. Unless. ...you hit me, hurt me, kill me, my dog or any of my loved ones over loaded or not...if I'm still alive I'm coming after you with the meanest lawyer I can hire. If I'm dead, my wife or kids are coming after you with the meanest lawyer (s) they can hire. Either way you'll have no possessions to leave your children in your will.

And don't tell my wife that i mentioned my dog before her.
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:19 AM   #39

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Russell,
I have scaled mine also and I know that my numbers are good. I know for a fact that many of the SWR TV's are over their GVWR or GAWR. You can't tow a 17,000# 5er with a SWR TV, I don't care what the tow rating is, you are going to be over either GVWR or the rear GAWR. I'm in the slow lane running 62 to 65 MPH. I also have upgraded brakes on the TV and disk brakes with 17.5" wheels & tires on the trailer.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:05 AM   #40

Ok, lets not scare the OP out of the RV lifestyle. They would miss out on to much fun. Common sense rules, so if you have already a 2500 with a 2500 payload capacity that leaves you with approximately a 5ver that grosses no more than 12500. Doing the homework is part of the fun of the RV lifestyle when first starting out. Don't get discouraged by all the fear mongering and give up. Soon you'll be sitting around the fire talking about your experience of your beginning the RV lifestyle and having fun. Yes, there a some out there that are way over their capacities, but that will always be. Like any defensive driver would do, be aware and stay away. That even applies when not towing. Drive 55 and enjoy the ride, no hurry. Sue happy people are not welcome around my campfire! I know some that would sue if they tripped on a pebble on my driveway and their not welcome at my home. There's to much of that nonsense going on these days, thanks to ambulance chasers and those looking for easy money.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:16 AM   #41

Huys, took your advise and bought a Ram 3500 diesel crew cab. Payload is around 4200 and towing is around 17500 THANKS guys you saved my skin
teamam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:31 AM   #42

Hey Teamam, Nice truck, I really like the Ram 3500 too. You'll love it. Maybe someday we'll sit around the fire and share our experiences together enjoying a cold one too. Be safe and always look out for the other guy. Drive slow and enjoy the ride. Happy trails.

Tags
5th wheel, advice