Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
Gordon, you are incorrect.

Please tell me what state you personally saw the highway blocked and all non-commercial vehicles scaled.

I cry foul.

Show me PROOF that this occurs. No hearsay.

Stop the fear mongering.
What am I incorrect about? Are you saying that I am making up stories? I am sorry that feel that way. I have no reason to convince you of anything since you have made up your mind and nothing anyone can say or do will change your mind.

My numbers according to fifthwheelst.com are as follows
Truck Front Axle: -842
Truck Rear Axle: -4505
Truck GVW: -3347
Truck GCW: -5136
Hitch Tow GTW: -6144
Vertical Load (Kingpin): -3355
Trailer GVW: -144
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2015, 03:11 PM   #44

Quote:
I always read about being "legal". Can you post verifiable court cases where someone was prosecuted for towing a non-commercial RV over the weight rating posted on the vehicle. I am all for safety and common sense, but stop the fear mongering by throwing the legal card.
Here's a pdf file . from my home provinces, insurance company/ D.O.T.
In my mind , if you can get a ticket for it you're illegal.
I'm sure if you dig around in your state or province's rules you will find, similar information.

Once again apologies , to the original poster , for this drawn out conversation. I hope you haven't given up on iRV2.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GVWR rules for B.C..pdf (190.2 KB, 50 views)
Old 04-12-2015, 03:30 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamam View Post
Huys, took your advise and bought a Ram 3500 diesel crew cab. Payload is around 4200 and towing is around 17500 THANKS guys you saved my skin

Congratulations! You'll love the truck I'm sure. My family has only had an RV for a little over two years, we really enjoy it. I'll also apologize for getting off topic but I bought an F250 initially thinking I could tow anything and didn't do my research on 5th wheel weights. I learned afterwords by reading these forums and weighing my F250. So, I recently traded but that's always expensive and better to do it right the first time.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:49 PM   #46

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I just looked at the door sticker on a new Delani, surprise, no GVWR or GAWR on sticker, only tire size and pressures. plus 2345# maximum payload capacity, including passengers, so with 2 people on board and 5er hitch in the bed, you have less than 2000# for pin weight without exceeding the manufacturers specs.
teamam,
Glad that you got a 3500, now get out and enjoy .
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:27 PM   #47

Quote:
Here's a pdf file . from my home provinces, insurance company/ D.O.T.
In my mind , if you can get a ticket for it you're illegal.
I'm sure if you dig around in your state or province's rules you will find, similar information.
The PDF file as posted is a info sheet only (no enforceable codes) and nothing there can be used by roadside enforcement to determine a overload condition. I've seen a similar documents from NHTSA which are just a guideline.

If you notice at the bottom of the PDF info sheet it says :
""Information on this Info sheet is subject to change without notice. In the event of conflict with this Info Sheet and the Motor Vehicle Act and Regulations, the Acts and Regulations shall apply.""

Now we can go to BC's motor vehicle act and regulations for actual enforceable weight codes .
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:08 PM   #48

Excel Owners Club
One would think one iRV2 member of the thousands could post veifiable proof of a court case of prosecution for towing a non-commercial RV over the weight rating posted on the vehicle.

Several web links for ambulance chasers, some friend of a friend stories, some "dubious" claims but NO proof.

I guess it's time for me to quit beating the dead horse....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:09 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
Congratulations! You'll love the truck I'm sure. My family has only had an RV for a little over two years, we really enjoy it. I'll also apologize for getting off topic but I bought an F250 initially thinking I could tow anything and didn't do my research on 5th wheel weights. I learned afterwords by reading these forums and weighing my F250. So, I recently traded but that's always expensive and better to do it right the first time.
Same here. I sleep better. Now to get new tires before May 4th!
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:36 AM   #50

drfife - not sure why you think there is no added risk. There is a risk to driving you agree? So why towing over weight would not add to 'risk'?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:45 AM   #51

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
drfife - not sure why you think there is no added risk. There is a risk to driving you agree? So why towing over weight would not add to 'risk'?

Not the point I am trying to make.

Driving has risks. Towing increases the risks. Towing over the ratings of the vehicle even greater.

But, many on the forum insist it is a legal issue. My point that in spite of all the rhetoric, there is little proof that it is a legal issue. If it was there would be many reports of citations and prosecutions for operating a vehicle in excess of its manufacturer ratings.

We should be discussion how to assess and minimize our risks. Not fear mongering about the legality.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 04-13-2015, 06:02 AM   #52

I am in the same boat here as the OP. A few years ago I bought a 3/4 ton diesel crew cab long box because I wanted a bigger newer 5er. I pay off the truck this year so now i can get a nice trailer.
The ones Im looking at the dealer said weigh 12000 lbs. Is that too heavy? I have hauled a 30 ft goose neck with 13000 lbs of equipment on it and it handled it no problem. The thing with that was I could adjust the load to get as much or as little pin weight at I wanted.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:00 AM   #53

Best In Class

http://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towi...ing_charts.pdf
DBL Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #54

Quote:

Not the point I am trying to make.

Driving has risks. Towing increases the risks. Towing over the ratings of the vehicle even greater.

But, many on the forum insist it is a legal issue. My point that in spite of all the rhetoric, there is little proof that it is a legal issue. If it was there would be many reports of citations and prosecutions for operating a vehicle in excess of its manufacturer ratings.

We should be discussion how to assess and minimize our risks. Not fear mongering about the legality.

Last time I checked any time someone is "illegal" it can be a legal issue. It's not rocket science, you're either legal or illegal. Just like every other time you drive and lots of factors come in to play. Fatigue, speeding, drugs (including over the counter), alcohol, texting, overweight, etc. heck, even the current conditions can change what's legal or illegal, like driving too fast for the conditions.

It's obviously not a big issue, no one has said it is, as the percent of RV's on the roads is minuscule compared to the total number of automobiles on the roads. Personally, I prefer to be legal and don't tow overweight and got the correct license after educating myself. If I happen to be in an accident towing my toy hauler it's one less thing to worry about. I don't need a lawyer or my insurance company ruining everything I've worked for. If there's a fatality, whether you had anything to do with the cause of the accident or not, there will be an investigation as to whether or not everyone involved was in compliance of the "law".

Most RV owners tow very few times a year so the odds of being caught or in an accident are pretty much non existent. It's like most everything in life, you play the odds. Guys on here ask questions and some people try to give them the best advice. The best advice is always what's legal and safest. You can disagree but you'd be wrong.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:23 AM   #55

Excel Owners Club
Here we go again.....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 04-13-2015, 12:21 PM   #56

Quote:
Here we go again.....

What, you still demanding someone look up court cases and prove to you it's okay to not be within the guidelines published by the vehicles manufacturer? I'd like you to show me where it's written that it's okay and no one will be sued for towing overweight and ignoring Federal regulations. Common sense, something that can't be taught.

Tags
5th wheel, advice