Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #15

My advice is don't even consider an F250/2500, get an F350/3500 SRW as a minimum. I recently owned an F250 and would not ever consider buying one again. Great trucks but to me it makes no sense to buy one over an F350 as they are basically the same price with more tow capacity. Also, after owning both, I much prefer the long bed vs. the short bed. I don't have to have a slider hitch and don't have to worry about hitting the cab of the truck. Plus, I have extra room to haul stuff. The drawback is it won't fit in a lot of garages. I park my F450 in my side garage but can't shut the door, about 3 inches too long.

Now, DRW vs SRW is something you have to decide and whether or not you want to deal with it. I use mine as a daily driver and love it and the extra width doesn't bother me. Towing, there's no comparison on the larger 5th wheels. My toy hauler isn't that big at 35 feet but it's much more comfortable towing it and especially stopping which is the important part.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2015, 08:06 PM   #16

I had the same dilemma 2 years ago so I bought a 3500hd long bed dually. Hauls like a dream and is a 2 finger steering. Pulling a 38' mobile suites at 15k plus. Go for it, you will like it.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:13 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I agree with the 3500 with DRW, you will not be sorry towing that way. It is stressful towing with a truck that is at or over capacity, you get to your destination all worn out. With a bigger truck, you can sit back and have a relaxing drive and get to your destination ready to go have fun.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:53 AM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Where do you guys come up with these fairy tales?.....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:48 AM   #19

Fact is all the trucks mentioned will tow your 5th wheel just fine. To me it's just do you want to be legal or not legal in an accident and possibly dealing with the consequences if you're not. If the right person (knowledgeable about RV's) on the other end is involved it could be a big issue. If I got run over by an F250 pulling a 44 foot toy hauler, yes I'm going after them for being an idiot. Do I like my DRW F450 better than my F250 for towing, of course I do. Is it night and day difference, no, but definitely better which it should be as they are two completely different trucks. Plus, I'm legal and have no worries about such issues.

There are thousands of owners towing huge (40 foot plus) toy haulers around with F250/2500 series trucks. I personally know a bunch of people doing it but think they are crazy because they are thousands of pounds overloaded. But, these are the extreme scenarios as the toy haulers are heavy, especially their pin weights. Some people on these forums go crazy over a couple hundred pounds. All I have to say is if the RV industry was actually regulated and "legal" trucks/SUV's were required to tow their new RV off the lot or actually got weighed the RV industry would be shut down.

Is it better to be perfectly legal and have more than enough truck, absolutely. Is it going to happen, no. Does an F250/2500 truck make sense? Not to me as they are the same price or within a few hundred dollars. Is a DRW best for towing, obviously? But, the fact is a DRW truck isn't going to be a viable option for many, period. If you don't mind driving a dually then it's the best truck for towing otherwise there's only two other options, F250/2500 or F350/3500 SRW trucks with the 1 ton being the obvious choice to me. There were two things I didn't like about my F250 when towing; the braking and hitting dips in the highways and having the rear end bottom out, even with air bags. Too much pin weight sucks big time in my opinion and after one incident I decided right then I was going with a DRW. Sometimes it just takes personal experiences for one to make a decision and then it's usually an expensive one when they trade.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:10 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
I always read about being "legal". Can you post verifiable court cases where someone was prosecuted for towing a non-commercial RV over the weight rating posted on the vehicle. I am all for safety and common sense, but stop the fear mongering by throwing the legal card.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 04-11-2015, 12:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
I always read about being "legal". Can you post verifiable court cases where someone was prosecuted for towing a non-commercial RV over the weight rating posted on the vehicle. I am all for safety and common sense, but stop the fear mongering by throwing the legal card.
Ahh, Com'on. Verifiable court case?? The primary risk is if there is an accident and the other party has a lawyer that shows that you being over loaded contributed to the accident. In a damage issue they will assign a percentage that the overweight condition contributed to the accident. That number can vary from 0 to 100%.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:56 PM   #22

Excel Owners Club
Yes, show me just ONE case.

This "legal" argument has no basis in fact.

I agree we should be aware of our weights and ratings. We should discuss the facts, not perpetuate myths and continued fear mongering.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 04-11-2015, 01:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
Ahh, Com'on. Verifiable court case?? The primary risk is if there is an accident and the other party has a lawyer that shows that you being over loaded contributed to the accident. In a damage issue they will assign a percentage that the overweight condition contributed to the accident. That number can vary from 0 to 100%.
AMEN.
In my capacity as an inspector for the B.C. , D.O.T. , I was called to court to testify, with regard to my inspection of a trailer that had broken a frame rail and been found to be over weight , on both the trailer axles, the tow vehicle hitch rating and the tow vehicle capacity; causing a fatality by swerving into oncoming traffic.
Lawyers for the driver , insurance company and the family of the deceased , were all involved. I don't know the exact outcome, but know for a fact, that the insurance company was arguing the driver's insurance was void , because he hadn't exercised , due diligence , in loading the trailer, and towing overloaded.

EDIT: I'll apologise to the original poster for continuing this , slightly, off topic discussion.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #24

If I am in an accident, my fault or not, if the other guy is towing a 5th wheel with a little truck I will definitely say hey, that guy was overloaded and let those cards fall where they may. In today's world I would really be surprised if towing over weight would not be a risk...ugh
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
I have a F250 and doing well with my 15000lbs trailer.
Other then being to high a 4 x 4 ton SRW would be my choice for abig trailer.
But the Ram 3500 standard tires have been 17s.. I would op for the 20in with close to 8000 lbs capacity.
Am I reading this correctly?? ... your rolling at least 9K over GCWR?? And feel safe doing so?

Disclaimer: I only ask this because, since I've had a license to drive, a pickup has been in the shed! All 4X4's, never a 1/2 ton, and 4 Dually's!.... I've pushed the limits a few times, (never again!) had brake fade/overheat a couple times, broke an axle, blown a couple tires, and nearly fishtailed out of control a couple times in those early years of learning!

And that's why I drive what I do now!
DBL Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #26

NEW to 5th Wheel looking for advise on a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post

Are you kidding? I don't have to post court cases because I could care less. It's like every other motor vehicle law, unless you're caught or involved in an accident, it doesn't matter.

There are plenty of lawyers familiar with RV's and tow vehicles. Let their client get injured by an F250 pulling a 40 foot toy hauler and see what happens. Odd are extremely low but I'm not playing the odds, it's just as easy to buy a capable truck. Price difference is negligible. I can guarantee you if I'm run over by someone thousands of pounds overloaded I'll know it and the other persons screwed. There's a difference between a few pounds overloaded and gross negligence. Both illegal but ones going to get you screwed big time. Yes, again the odds are very low, kinda like a DUI.

By the way, I'm referring to the people towing way, way overloaded. like the F250 pulling a 40 foot plus toy hauler. I have numerous friends that are as anal as can be and have jobs holding others accountable for following Federal Regulations but somehow like to justify being thousands overloaded pulling their 5th wheel. I just don't get it.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #27

Excel Owners Club
Still waiting.....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 04-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
My advice is get the 3500 or 350 or 1 ton. the big question is do you get the dually or not? I've had both, and to tell the truth I didn't feel much difference when driving. BUT... I felt safer, better, when I had the dually especially down winding roads down the hills. Me, I'd get the dually.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, advice