Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2016, 03:10 PM   #1

New to 5th Wheels

Aloha from Hawaii.
Getting closer to retirement, wife's kids live in California so we are thinking a 5th wheel might be the ticket. My parents spent several years full timing in a 27' Class C, I'm definitely leaning towards the flexibility of a Ram Quadcab longbed for the TV (2500 or 3500 depending on the choice of fiver). What I am trying to figure out is the smallest quality unit with a bunkhouse with second 1/2 bath, preferably in 36' overall or less. In researching all this I see that some brands get bad reviews, but the higher end brands like Excel or Hitchhiker don't seem to have the smaller bunkhouse model we are looking for. Used is OK as long as in decent condition. Any insights from people out there with real life experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your feedback. Mahalo Nui Loa (Thanks Very Much)- Jack Arnest
Haoleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2016, 06:45 PM   #2

Jack; Welcome to iRV2

I haven't been in the market for a fifth wheel in years so I can't help with your search, but maybe running your post through the system again ( by me adding to it here ) will generate some answers for you.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:11 AM   #3

Sorry, I can't help with your choice of RV either. But I did want to recommend going with the 3500 over the 2500 if you have the choice. The price difference was not too bad (~$1000) when I bought mine last October, and the piece of mind as far as extra payload capacity is completely worth it.
ResidentEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:15 AM   #4

Thanks to all for inputs, leaning towards the 3500 Ram over the 3/4 ton for the payload. What does anybody know about Holiday Rambler Alumascape 5th wheel TT's? There's a bunkhouse model with 1/2 bath at 36' overall that has my eye, don't see too many bad raps out there.
Haoleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:21 AM   #5

Start off right get the RAM 3500 Cummins/Aisin with factory rear air ride and long bed. Also get the puck system for the B&W RVK3600. Then you can safely tow a 14K + 5er.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haoleboy View Post
What does anybody know about Holiday Rambler Alumascape 5th wheel TT's?
Hi, Howly boy! It is either a TT (travel trailer) or a 5th wheel...not both. LOL!

I have a 2002 Holiday Rambler 5th wheel that is not a bunkhouse but I bought it used a few years ago and the only problem with it was the linoleum on the floor split, so I installed a wood look floor. It has been a great trailer! Don't know about the new ones...

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:14 PM   #7

I wish I could recommend at 5er but just don't have the experience withy them. You may want to give others what type of budget you are looking at as they can range from $40K- $150K+.

On the truck, along with the other recommendations so far, is that the Ram is the is a great choice. However, look at getting either the crew cab or the mega cab. The quad cab is next to useless for carrying people and if you have grandchildren they will have to be fairly small to be comfortable back there. IMO, the Mega Cab is the way to go if you will be spending a lot of time in the truck. There is still more leg room in the MC than the CC by about three inches.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parks View Post
I wish I could recommend at 5er but just don't have the experience withy them. You may want to give others what type of budget you are looking at as they can range from $40K- $150K+.

On the truck, along with the other recommendations so far, is that the Ram is the is a great choice. However, look at getting either the crew cab or the mega cab. The quad cab is next to useless for carrying people and if you have grandchildren they will have to be fairly small to be comfortable back there. IMO, the Mega Cab is the way to go if you will be spending a lot of time in the truck. There is still more leg room in the MC than the CC by about three inches.

Do you know if you still get an 8' bed with the mega cab?
Larry Mac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:37 PM   #9

If you want to limit yourself to 36', you're going to have a hard time finding a bunkroom trailer with the second or half bath. And the big bunkroom trailers will get heavy requiring dual rear wheels.

I purchased a 2015 Grand Design 323BHS bunkhouse fifth wheel. It's 11k lbs. dry weight and a 2K kingpin weight--about the max for a 3/4 ton diesel. It has everything we need, and it has a fantastic floorplan. We really didn't want the second bath to have to keep clean and deal with.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parks View Post

Anyone "THINKING" they need a MegaCab really needs to sit in the back of a CrewCab. I have had tall adults in the back of my Crew and never needed to move my seat forward and I am tall.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac01 View Post
Do you know if you still get an 8' bed with the mega cab?
Never have been able to. You can get the frame stretched and have a Long bed installed.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:04 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Start off right get the RAM 3500 Cummins/Aisin with factory rear air ride and long bed. Also get the puck system for the B&W RVK3600. Then you can safely tow a 14K + 5er.
A diesel 3500 without the Aisin, fully loaded, megacab, short bed, can tow a 14k+ 5er worst case.

Completely agree on the 3500 - the pin weight on the 2500 would be too much of a limitation otherwise.

In tow trim a diesel 3500 Dodge can tow 30K+. Just be aware that a short bed may necessitate a sliding hitch.

My bet would be a 3500, Asian, and 3.73+ gears in whatever trim and cab fits your needs. Should be good for 20k+. Dodge publishes a great towing guide.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:06 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Anyone "THINKING" they need a MegaCab really needs to sit in the back of a CrewCab. I have had tall adults in the back of my Crew and never needed to move my seat forward and I am tall.
Agree with this too. A CrewCab is great for tall adults. A MegaCab is just over the top. I'm over 6'. Even in back with a 6' driver, crewcab is great.

Taking a MegaCab and going to long bed (aftermarket) - $6-$7k.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Agree with this too. A CrewCab is great for tall adults. A MegaCab is just over the top. I'm over 6'. Even in back with a 6' driver, crewcab is great.

Taking a MegaCab and going to long bed (aftermarket) - $6-$7k.
The benefit of the mega can isn't in the legroom for the back seat. It's having a good amount of storage space behind the back seat for those times when you are fully loaded with people.

The second benefit, and more important consideration, is that the back seats fold forward and down, providing a completely flat surface back there that is quite large. I think that the flat surface space in the back with the seats folded down exceeds 57" in both directions.

On the other cab configurations the bottom part of the seat folds up, which gives you a taller space but is much much narrower front to back. If I recall correctly from when i was truck shopping, the difference is around two feet.

That large fold flat area isn't going to be a big deal for everyone, but it was the deal maker for me. Ford and Chevy were rules out from the get go because neither could come close to offering that much rear seat space.

When we travel, we do so with two Dobermans, a vizla and a min pin. The mega can read space ensures they all have sufficient room to spread out for the car ride.
ResidentEvil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel