Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #15

We owned an Airstream Classic Limited 31 for 5 years, our first trailer. We are owners of a yacht brokerage company so we come from a close relative environment. We know limitations and design faults. We were interested in a quick trade-in wherever and whatever we chose. I had no time to haggle with want-to bees on the AS. The replacement value on insurance is good for the first 5 years. It was time to say good bye to the AS though we did not not let her know this! We saw the Redwood and the DRV mobile, and the others. We needed to enter something near the quality of the Airstream. The quality and layout of the Trilogy was an instant attraction. The dealer for the DRV in Ocala was a real no-no. We worked the deal with Lazydays for good reasons, ease of transaction and negotiations, logistical transfer and convienent campground, prep tech was superb in his installation of all our extras and diagnosis of design faults. The Trilogy allows you to get to the frig , head, and bed without pulling out the slides. The DRV model we saw did not allow this nor did it have an AC frig. After 8 months of ownership I would never go back to the dometic/norcold. To have ice and cold water like at home is great. Huge ss double sinks. The stove top is very large. I learned to bake in the convection/microwave. Radial walls, pantry, tecma head, king size bed, washer/dryer, fold-out air top full size bed sofa. and a place for the garbage can, though we have outgrown that already,we rarely eat out and keep kosher which requires multiple pots and pans and flatware and dishware and electrics. We just came back from spending the Passover week in the trailer and it accamodated the changeover with little fuss other than moving things in and out. The Trilogy was way far above anything we saw in the kitchen compared. I am the chef here and the Airstream was very functionable because an 80 year old company knew how to design when there were no fast food restarunts. WE almost flew out to Kansas to see the New Horizons but I did not want to buy a 450 as my personal vehicle and the price point was much more. There ability to install hardwood hickory floors was very attractive. Now the minus; kitchen below sink cabinets need 180 degree hinges as the ones in the bathroom and the cabinet hinges in the hallway in the 3850 model. A hinge bottom side trap door for access to the bedroom TV HDMI connection, Sconces next to the recliners, and the recliners are difficult to move for breakdown for travel. They are very comfortable but I would choose the lower profile scandanavian. The outside dining chair nearest exit needs to be stored in mid aisle for travel an outdoor water connection for washdown, a larger than a 1.5" hitch, gasket under stovetop range to prevent water entering lower cabinets, shower in 3850 the knob needs to be changed to a screw type from a lever. A toggle switch for electric water heater to be placed in utility cabinet rather than using circuit breaker or outside water tank closet. A panel of wallpaper had to be replaced. Rubber slide-out gasket for bedroom slide needed to be replaced. This is really a short list. What have we done? A large standing AC lamp behind recliners, area rug, an amish folding tv/computer table, bar stool, a few shelves here and there, a wind sensor on the larger awning, a rear view camera, generator, surge guard hardwired, central water filter. Thats about it. It is really a small condo, it can be used as such. What we may do in the near future; rooftop satellite direct tv, awning for rear picture window and road side hallway window. A electrical management system to allow a 30amp connection to run both the smaller and larger ACs. We were traveling north on our last trip into 25-40 mph winds with no sway or top heaviness. We were really loaded too! I get the same mileage in the GMC 3500 Denali 350 that I got from the 08 GMC duramax srw pulling the AS. An update a year from now would be useful. A one year warranty I believe is insufficient. We are debating to either go up to the factory for warrant repairs or to return to Lazydays.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	interior.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	37028  
chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Very nice! Informative! The Trilogy's we saw had the frame-less windows. And as you mentioned the radial walls, other features and appliances you only see in high end units. The price was 20k less than units with less quality at the show. I was thinking that perhaps since the name is so new and they are trying to go head to head with the big boys and yet be innovative with offering things like the built in propane tank was the reason to get the brand out there. I really think it is a terrific buy if a person want to go "New" and high end.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Added note, We were out at Dealership that carries Trilogy they had a Open House and the rep was there. The built in tank is 96 lb and they now also have an additional portable 30lb that can be taken out of rig to be filled so the total capacity is 126 lbs. That would last us a very long time!!
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #18

Quality? Start with the suspension and running gear. Independent wheel suspension, such as the Mor_Ryde IS. Tires and wheels that will more than carry the entire loaded weight of the trailer, such as 17.5" A hydraulic support and leveling system such as Big Foot or Lippert 6 point. Hydraulic brakes.

The floor plan should meet your needs. Windows need to be thermal-pane if you are in the cold or the very hot. There should be electric protection hardwired in.

The rest of it comes down to how and when you use it.

Quality is heavy. A minimal truck will be a dually 1 ton and may escalate from there. A single axle Class 7 tractor may be in order for SpaceCraft New Horizons, and others mentioned above.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Tugboat - Those SpaceCrafts look like a fancy house. If you look at 'MY' rankings where would you put SpaceCrafts? Tied with New Horizons? Or better?
A lot of people say Spacecraft is hands down the best built trailer, when we started shopping we went to several factories including Spacecraft, and New Horizons. I would agree with them Spacecraft is built like a tank, however our opinion was it was very blah for us, and considering the price.
life2short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #20

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Right now I think Columbus is the best out there. But that is because I got my new 2014 today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130423_204140.png
Views:	121
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	37446
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote