Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #1

Question New to 5th Wheels; previous MH owner

I know this may sound like an ignorant question to experienced 5th wheel owners, but my wife and I are changing to a 5th wheel for several reasons. However, being motorhome owners (our last was a 2000 Tiffin Zephyr), we know nothing about how to determine what constitutes a quality 5th wheel (the quality pecking order if you will).

Can someone point me in a direction to start research?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
JDT

We spent 9 years with 2 different motorhomes and made the change last year. However, this was not our first rodeo as we had owned several fifth wheels prior to the motorhomes. We had 2 Excels previously so the choice for us was relatively easy and I can highly recommend them but do some research as to what suits your needs as there are some nice units out there. I think the names you will see most is Excel, DRV Mobile Suites, Lifestyle and some others that I'm sure will be mentioned.

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Pick what you like in a floor plan. Then get the best that you can afford. People will tell you what that have is the best. You will know what you want when you see it.

GOOD LUCK.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat View Post
Pick what you like in a floor plan. Then get the best that you can afford. People will tell you what that have is the best. You will know what you want when you see it.

GOOD LUCK.
X2 good advice
Old 04-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
I agree with what Jim had mentioned in previous post above.
I would add Trilogy to that mix as well.
Fiberglass roof, Built in lg Propane tank like a MH, huge outside storage and same inside with a build that is absolutely top notch.

Jim K.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #6

The current top of the 5er's goes something like this.

Here are 'MY' rankings

1. New Horizons
2. Peterson Ind. Excel Limited
2. DRV Elite Suites
2. NuWa Champagne
3. Peterson Ind. Excel Winslow
3. DRV Mobile Suits
3. Lifestyle
3. NuWA Discover America

4. DRV Tradition
4. Dynamax Trilogy
4. Crossroads Redwood
4. Holiday Rambler Presidential

5.Top 5er of other builders:
Example - Jayco Pinnacle, Dutchmen Infinity, Crossroads Rushmore, Palomino Columbus, KZ Stoneridge,

What makes the top 5ers better is the Frame, Tires, Insulation, Build Quaility.

You will need a dually truck to tow the top 5ers and some may require a F-550 hauler cab chassis type.

Now - I used to think that a dually truck towing a 5er would be a bad experience. After doing it I was really surprised. I can not imagine any rig going down the road better. Nice ride, quiet with no rattles vibration or harshness, plenty of power, no fatigue.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Kro1957 mentioned a built in propane tank i have not seen that yet in a 5er that is not to say they don't put them in 5er's. The 5er that i have ordered has 4 20lb tanks instead of 2 30lb tanks. that was a feature that i liked as I am getting older and/or the tanks are getting heaver.

If you want what you want and can pay look at this brand.

Space Craft Custom Built Recreational Vehicles, Fifth Wheel Trailers, Travel Trailers, Semi Trailers, Bunkhouses, Box Conversions, Restroom Trailers, Custom Built RV, custom built rv trailers, Toy house, toy hauler, toter home, toterhome, motor coach
Old 04-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
" Built in lg Propane tank like a MH, "
Jim K.
I do believe that is against RVIA code. And why ALL propane doors on 5th are non-lockable - so anyone can find the tanks and turn them off in an emergency.

Dp your research and you will find the best. It will be Excel, DRV, New Horizon or Nuwa.
Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #9

I think you're asking about what to look for in any FW so you can determine quality, rather than which brands are best (although I agree with the other posters here about specific brands).

First, look for bigger beefier frames with running gear that will carry more than the posted weight of the of the unit it anticipated load. If a mfgr. skimps on the frame/gear at the beginning of the build, I would begin to question where they skimped elsewhere. If wheels and tires carry higher ratings than other mfgr's. for similar weight units, that would imply quality IMHO.

Second, try to avoid the glitz and look deeper inside cabinets and voids to see if they're just slapped together or are fastened properly. For example, mfgrs. can save a lot of money by using cheap and flimsy drawer slides. Look closely at joints in wood or plastic trim. Lousy joints imply the mfgr. is cutting corners (no pun intended) for the sake of speed and profit.

Third, look inside the electrical panel, cabinets and voids to see if you can observe wire runs. A mess that looks like spaghetti implies a lack of care by installers and can actually be dangerous 50k miles down the road. Sloppy plumbing runs can also be a tell-tale. WRT plumbing, cheap faucets and handles can be an indicator of cutting corners to maximize profit.

Look for doors that don't line up or close properly, for a rubber roof that has few or no bubbles or creases, tiles and carpet and furnishings that use quality fabrics.

Lastly, before you buy anything, narrow down your choices and spend a couple of hours in each unit moving around and visualizing how you would fit in the unit on a daily basis.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
The Trilogy has built in tank like MH. It requires you to fill just like a MH. We have looked at them at shows twice The sales staff told us it is the only 5r like that
8k axl. 12in beams.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #11

Tugboat - Those SpaceCrafts look like a fancy house. If you look at 'MY' rankings where would you put SpaceCrafts? Tied with New Horizons? Or better?
Old 04-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
I have seen one in person and they are built like a Mack Truck and have the quality of a Rolls Royce.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #13

We own a Trilogy and I prefer the propane setup. We also have an Onan 5 kw runs on propane. Unless you live up North or boondock the 96 gl tank is out of sight out of mind. There is a cutoff switch for when u fillip. Just be carefull u don't hit it by accident then you will think u ran out of gas......as it just happened to me, the toggle switch is not labeled. We put nail polish on the on side!
Old 04-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
chaimemt, how do you rank that Trilogy? We were very impressed over every aspect from the construction to the frame, axles, etc... The factory rep also compared many of the specs to the other high end units and also boasted on the propane tank. We have never had a RV with a large tank like that or a MH so really could not say if that was a true "plus" or not in our books.
The fold out pantry was bigger than any thing we had ever seen in any RV.
Also did you shop around on other high end units? I guess I am curious why you went with Trilogy. It remains at our top of the list with Excel, DRV & Lifestyle if we went high end new.