Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-02-2016, 08:38 AM   #1
New to Fifth Wheel....will need lots of help

Hi! I searched for about an hour thru the forums and did manage to answer some of my questions, so thank you everyone lol.
I recently purchased a 1998 TS Extreme 5th wheel and have not yet come across a manual for it. (The previous owner has passed, so not thinking the family will have any idea)
To begin...does ANYONE have an owners manual remotely close to that year?
I am not able to get the furnace to light, all else is working fine.
Tips and suggestions on care of roof and slides would also be greatly appreciated so that I can avoid future leak issues.

KIMMERS39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2016, 09:11 AM   #2
Maybe someone here will have a manual, but they generally aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Besides, you'd need the manual for your specific furnace. Get the make and model no. off it and look for that particular manual online. I've had good luck doing that type of search.

--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:27 AM   #3
Welcome to the world of fifth wheels.
First thing I would suggest is a good thorough inspection and pressure test. Look closely for any signs of leaks, fix them first.
Then, get make,model, and serial numbers for each appliance, go online and download manuals for each item. Owners manuals are basic junk and not worth searching for.
As for the furnace? It needs a start signal, 12VDC, and propane before it will attempt to start.
You hopefully have some tools, including a volt meter and knpw how to use them. Otherwise this thing will cost you an arm and both legs.
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #4
Thank you for that.....found a few minor leaks once water was hooked up, all have been fixed or waiting to see if the quick fix will work .
Furnace motor sounds like it is kicking on, fan will run on "fan" setting, but not lighting. As that wasn't a priority it has been put to the bottom of the list.
Yes, I do have some basic tools, and also a friend who has had numerous used travel trailers with basic knowledge of most things.
So, how about roof and slide out care?
What do you all suggest annually/initially etc.
A friend suggested that I give the roof a couple of coats of some type of roof paint asap, but he still has to give me the name of the stuff lol.
My previous travel trailer sustained water damage and fell apart on me because my ex didn't take care of it, told me he was, and thus now I will be learning and doing it my darn self with this one
Old 05-06-2016, 06:45 AM   #5
Suggest you figure out which type of roofing material you have before putting any type of 'roof paint' on it. A good cleaning with Murphys Soap usually works well, but don't use any type of oil-based cleaner on it. After cleaning it good, check all the seams very closely for cracks in the caulking--if needed, get some Dicor self-leveling caulk for the horizontal seams and fill in/cover the cracks. After doing all this, then use something like 303 Protectant if you want to.
As to the furnace, when it comes time to be needing it, you are probably going to be out a mobile tech service call, or have to take the trailer to a RV shop. Gas valves and high-temp limiting switches go out, and sometimes the control board. These units aren't for the amateurs to work on.
Good luck.
Also, check out the thread on "Roof Cleaning and Conditioning" about 5 positions below this thread.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #6
Mid Atlantic Campers

I would first try to light the kitchen stove. Make sure gas is on, lighting the stove will usually purge the gas line. My furnace acted up once and that cured it. Good luck.
birddog2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:53 AM   #7
Bird dog you beat me to the punch ! I as gona suggest that as well, as it worked for our 5er as well. It is a new to us 2011 Montana Mountaineer. Furnace came on ,wouldn't produce heat. Called dealer, they said light stove top for about 5min to purge air out of the gas lines. Did that, furnace fired right up ! Good luck with your 5er !
maxjr758 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #8
How do I figure out "what type of roof" I have...to me it looks and feels like rubber, are there more than one type of white rubber roof?
Old 05-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #9
Here is a link to a video that will give you lots of info on your roof...if the video doesn't play, click on Here Is a Link at the top of the box...

2002 Holiday Rambler 30RKD
2000 F250 diesel extended cab short bed
2014 Demco Autoslide 18K
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:28 PM   #10
Thank you for all of the helpful tips 😍
I have the epdm roof not the tpo. I will give it a cleaning and sealing with dicor caulk this weekend. As it is almost 20 years old I DO want to do the roof coating but will wait for school to be out so that I can do it all in one day like recommended.
Can you coat the tops of the slide outs with the dicor rubber roof coating also? I have concerns that the additional height it would add to the slide out might be too much????
As for the furnace, my cousin is an hvac guy so if he can't fix it I won't be concerning myself. I've always preferred my nice electric heater over the propane furnace anyway .

Any suggestions on how to clean the fabric pull down blinds? The almost feel papery so I haven't tried to do more than vac them.
The trailer is coming along nicely....I've fixed the electric heating element in the hot water tank
I've cleaned most of the carpeting with woolite foam cleaner....looks and smells so much nicer now lol.

Thanks again for all of your help....this girl wants to keep her camper in awseome shape!!!!