Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2005, 07:42 AM   #1

So bid on a 1989 Prowler tandem axle fifth wheel, they wanted 7900.CDN, got it for 6000.CDN and now I have to find a hitch to install and need to find where one could find info on these units, how good were they and such and what are the pitfalls to look out for.
I am starting from scratch, so any help would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2005, 07:42 AM   #2

So bid on a 1989 Prowler tandem axle fifth wheel, they wanted 7900.CDN, got it for 6000.CDN and now I have to find a hitch to install and need to find where one could find info on these units, how good were they and such and what are the pitfalls to look out for.
I am starting from scratch, so any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:00 AM   #3

Check out http://reeseprod.com/index.htm
Me2Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:58 AM   #4

What kind of Tow Vehicle do you have. Please don't say Toyota Corolla.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:08 AM   #5

Sorry guys, I have a 77 F-250 Supercab long box, 400 cubic inch engine, C6 auto propane/gas system.
Heavy duty dual piston discs on front heavy duty shoes on the back.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:01 PM   #6

There are several quality brands available. Reese, as already posted, B&W hitch, if you want a smooth bed when the fifth wheel hitch is removed, or, you'll find most all brands with advertising comments here: towing world
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:26 AM   #7

Partsman:

What part of Canada are you in? I have the Reese 15000 slider and it has given me five years of trouble free service. Once I know where you're at, I may be able to refer you to a good supplier where you can compare hitches and prices.

Bob

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:37 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies.
I am in British Columbia, Canada
In the town of Port Coquitlam
Old 07-02-2005, 05:36 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Partsman,
Like Bob Boucher, I have a slider hitch although mine is the Husky name brand. I feel the Reese and Husky offer similar hitches.
You will not need a slider hitch of course, since you have a long box, but at least you have a couple good name brands. Both those manufacturers make a variety of hitches.
good luck,
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 03:23 AM   #10

Partsman01:

Nope, don't know any dealers in your area. Generally, for the Reese 16K non-slider, with four way pivot, you are likely looking at between $600. and $850. installed. A lot depends on who does the install and their hourly rate. You can get a two way pivot for $150 or $200. less, but I do not recommand it.

The four way allows for much easier hook-up on uneven ground and to me, is a must. Make sure you select an installer that knows what he is doing, placement and anchoring are crucial.

Husky should run you about the same. Do a Google search for dealers in your area and shop around. Good Luck.

Bob

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 07:40 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I have been using a Hidden Hitch 18K with four way pivot for the past three and a half years with no complaints.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:06 PM   #12

Well a fellow that works in the RV business came up with a used Hijacker fifth wheel hitch for me, everything but the bolts for mounting for 320.00CDN, so I bought it and will have to see about installing it myself, the fellow says I should not have a problem.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:46 PM   #13

Well I don't seem to get on here much, but did get the hitch, hooked her all up and went for two short trips and one three week trip and did alright.
One close call with a picnic table when backing into one site when I was all by myself.
But it was all good.
I swear that table jumped out at me.
Here is a link to pictures of said unit I bought.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=13...&page=1&sort_order=0
Old 03-04-2006, 12:45 PM   #14

Partsman 01. Here's a tip for backing by yourself that someone gave me and it works. Carry two of the red rubber dayglow traffic warning devices you see set up when crews are painting lines on roads and for other road hazards. They stand about 36 inches high.I place them where I want to go behind me and where I can see them in my mirrors. As long as I stay between them and stop when I am even with them (assuming they don't jump out at me) I make it into the spot ok. I am reluctant to get help from strangers because everyone uses different signals and references as to how and when to turn and stop!!!! They fold up fairly small and take up little room when not in use.