Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #15

XC-MARK EDIT: if you notice I have owned a 31' holiday rambler since 2003 , its unladen weight is 7950 dry no gear. pull easy and no issue with running 75 mph up hill.

I am sorry but that kind of speed is going to get someone killed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #16

The ability to "tow" with a diesel pick up is really irrelevant, because they will all do it and do it well. The issue is that a 3/4 ton truck does not have the cargo capacity to carry the heavy weight of a big 5th wheel.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #17

True on the towing with a diesel pickup. You basically have one diesel engine per manufacturer. You run into is the frame, brakes, rear designed for it.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #18
CD

One thing I don’t see a lot of people giving much importance to, is more rubber on the road ie: duals. I started a thread a few years ago about a fatal accident involving a 3/4T PU towing a 3 axle 5er. Apparently the driver encountered stopped traffic (on I5) and changed lanes to avoid the jam. The PU & 5er went across the median into oncoming traffic . Witnesses stated that the PU was going backwards as it crossed the median. I am convinced that for that to happen, when he changed lanes the 5er jack knifed the PU because the PU didn’t have enough weight and/or rubber on the road to control that big 5er.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkarau View Post
We all have to remember that the rated numbers on our tow rigs were put there by lawyers not engineers. There is obviously a "safety factor" in these numbers of perhaps up to 15 - 20%. This explains why so many people state that they are able to "push the limits" and still tow with ease.
That's a rumor that goes around all these forums with no basis in fact.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:53 PM   #20

I am looking into a 3/4 ton diesel pickup to haul a 32'-36' 5th wheel. The truck will be my daily driver so I am looking for a mix of a good ride unloaded with the safe capablitiy to haul the trailer when needed. A one ton just has such a stiff ride unloaded. Are there recommended aftermarket parts that will add to the weight capacity for the truck for towing? For example air bags or bigger brakes?
Old 08-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scybertek View Post
I am looking into a 3/4 ton diesel pickup to haul a 32'-36' 5th wheel. The truck will be my daily driver so I am looking for a mix of a good ride unloaded with the safe capablitiy to haul the trailer when needed. A one ton just has such a stiff ride unloaded. Are there recommended aftermarket parts that will add to the weight capacity for the truck for towing? For example air bags or bigger brakes?
This question will bring on all sorts of yelling and screaming from the folks on this forum...NO aftermarket product can increase the carrying capacity of your truck...PERIOD. Air bags help to level your truck when heavily loaded (within manufacturers limits) however, it will not increase either your GVWR or your GAWR.

To purchase a 5th the size that you are listing you will have to go to a "light" model as a 3/4 ton is quite limited in carrying capacity on the pin.

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE Touring Edition (Loaded and then some)
djkarau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:41 AM   #22

How about a SRW 1 ton? Same basic spring config as the 3/4 ton until you add the weight of the rig, then you settle down on the helper springs, but running solo should be similar in ride to the 3/4 ton. I'm a dually fan, but we won't go there since you're also looking at a daily driver. If you look around you'll see lots of folks pulling some pretty big rigs with the 1 ton SRW. Just something to think about.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #23
CD

Quote:
Have you ridden in a 3/4T PU with 80lbs in the tires. That is what you will need on any SRW PU towing a 5er. It will really ruin the ride when unloaded. Your choice then is to reduce pressure when not towing (another pain).
Some points to ponder: My dually will handle all the weight the rear axle/tires are rated for @ 45lbs (per the tire chart) I run @ 55lbs and it rides better than any 3/4T I have had (including a 91 Dodge with Kelderman air ride system). It's main leaf pack is over 5' long with 4 leaves. The bottom leaf is over 1/2" thick and takes about 700/800lbs get down on it. The ride gets rougher than when empty. Then it takes quite a bit more to get to the overload springs.
I use an older low milage, $2K (50k miles when I got it) car that I only have liability insurance on it. I now have a 10yr old PU with only 85K on it and it has a lot of miles left.
As was stated above, I am also a dually fan. They are so much better for handling and stability.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:15 PM   #24

Well the general consensus so far is leading me toward a 1 ton over a 3/4. I will go to some lots this weekend and see how they ride unloaded to get a better feel. Most of the 1 tons I have used were strict work trucks for construction so perhaps there are some things I can do to give it a better ride. I really appreciate the comments so far they help maybe once I get past being a newbie, I can return the favor
Old 08-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #25
CD

Quote:
Well the general consensus so far is leading me toward a 1 ton over a 3/4. I will go to some lots this weekend and see how they ride unloaded to get a better feel. Most of the 1 tons I have used were strict work trucks for construction so perhaps there are some things I can do to give it a better ride. I really appreciate the comments so far they help maybe once I get past being a newbie, I can return the favor
If you see a Dodge, look at the rear springs and see if they are still built like my 01. You might also check others to see how they are put together.
If you can find out what tire pressure they have would be helpfull also.
Good Luck

Old 08-30-2011, 06:46 AM   #26

If you look around you can find tire pressure ratings for vehicle weight for what ever truck you decide on. It is a pain and you have to get into the habit everyone should be in to start with and check pressures, and it is twice the pain to air them up but they ride a lot better.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #27
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
If you look around you can find tire pressure ratings for vehicle weight for what ever truck you decide on. It is a pain and you have to get into the habit everyone should be in to start with and check pressures, and it is twice the pain to air them up but they ride a lot better.
Your info is good. A good place to find the charts is the manufacture's website. My reference to pressure above was for the vehicle that is being test driven. An easy way to check them is to learn how the truckers do it. With a hammer. A hard tire has high pressure.