Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #1

New to FT, A Couple Questions for the Sages

Greetings, just posted an intro in the "Say Hello" forum...

I'm new to full-timing, staying in a 26' TT. Been shopping for a 32-34' used 5er, and have a couple in mind. I'll discuss which ones in another post, I've gleaned a TON of info here on this forum that is helping me with my selection. THANKS!! Meanwhile there are a couple things I'd like to ask folks here to weigh in on:

1) I have a pretty short space here (50') and need to park my pickup in front of the 5th wheel. I can go with a 34' (overall) 5th wheel, but the rear 6' will be hanging off the edge of the pad and the ground slopes away so there will be no good way to use the rear stabilizer jacks. Possible solution is to use bottle jacks under the frame at the rear edge of the pad, about 6' from the rear of the RV. I'm aware that the jacks won't be attached to the frame, and it won't be earthquake-proof, and I expect there will be some knee-jerk "Hell No!" responses from the purists . Other than that, any reason why I shouldn't do it? Note that one of the rigs I'm seriously considering is a box-frame unit.

2) The parking space is fairly level but has a slight fall toward the rear. It seems if I get a 5th wheel tailgate I might be able to park my pickup partly under the front of the 5th wheel to help ease the pinch described above. (Which would allow me to either buy a longer home, or have less of it overhanging off the edge of the pad). Because of the very slight fall, I may need to raise the entire home a few inches to accomplish this. This might be a stupid query, but then again at least I'm smart enough to ask questions. Other than the fact that it'll raise the stairs a bit (where they would be somewhat low anyway), any reason I shouldn't consider this?

3) Slide awnings/toppers. I'm looking at a rig without them, buying used from a dealer and considering asking for them to be added. How important are they? (Note that I live in the Pacific Northwet).

4) Finally (and least important I WILL be putting a washer/dryer in. I don't want this to digress into a discussion about preferences regarding having a w/d in the rig vs using the on-site laundromat, or the pros and cons of separates vs. a combo unit, or vented vs. ventless, and I'll appreciate your humoring me in this way. What I DO want to ask is if there is any real advantage to having the RV dealer sell and install an RV-specific W/D vs me just buying one and putting it in myself. Thoughts on this?

Again, I've learned a TON from this forum already, which is why I've joined to ask my questions here. Thanks!
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #2

If I was able to easily post photos here I could show you all kinds of cribbing and blocking under trailers at the Iowa State Fair. The people arrive one to two days before the Fair. Have a spot on a hill where other people will pull in with their trailer on the same hill and somehow everyone is level and no one the I have heard of has lost a trailer off their supports. The key is to start level at the bottom and build up until you are within reach of your support jacks. Make a platform for the jack to rest upon and you will be set. IF you can get always to the exact same place and expect to spend a long time there it might be best to pour a concrete pad for the base

Rod
lappir is offline   Reply With Quote