Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2014, 11:33 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
New to iRV2

I am new to RVing nad this community. I have had a 5th wheel since November and gone to Miami from the Seattle area last winter with no problems.

Mid July this year I went with family to San Diego, CA from the Seattle area. I had 3 blow outs in a 24 hour period. I have changed all 4 tires. I am planning a trip to upstate NY late September. I need information on reliable tires for the trip. Being new I check the lugnuts and tire pressures every morning before I move the RV. Any ideas that can help???

Thank you
mahdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2014, 11:43 PM   #2

Carolina Campers
New to iRV2

Glad you joined us here!

I don't have any ideas, but I am sure others will.

Good luck with your travels!

Was there anything that was noted in regarding to the blowouts? Like road debris, nails, side wall gave out, cracks in the tread? Were the tires new in November? What was the DOT manufacture date?
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:38 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdi View Post
I am new to RVing nad this community. I have had a 5th wheel since November and gone to Miami from the Seattle area last winter with no problems.

Mid July this year I went with family to San Diego, CA from the Seattle area. I had 3 blow outs in a 24 hour period. I have changed all 4 tires. I am planning a trip to upstate NY late September. I need information on reliable tires for the trip. Being new I check the lugnuts and tire pressures every morning before I move the RV. Any ideas that can help???

Thank you
These have worked well for me.$163.99 - Telstar 235/85R16 8244393 tires at SimpleTire.com

Good luck with your next set.
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

When I had a 5th wheel I inflated the tires to the maximum pressure indicated on the sidewall, and never had any problems after that. Of course, you've got to be sure you have good tires on there to start with!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome aboard. Glad you joined us. Could it be that the tires that you had problem with were older tires? Now that you have new ones and are rated for your 5r's weight checking the tire inflation would probably be your main concern. You may want just for safety sake to have your axles checked to be sure they are aligned. That could premature wear of the tires and could quite possibly cause blowouts. JMHO. Good luck and hope goes well in the future.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #8

Inflating to the sidewall-rating max pressure will cause wear in the center of the tread, unkless your axles are carrying the max load allowed for the tire.

To get it technically correct, weigh with just the fiver wheels on the weighing platform with it loaded for your usual trip. Once you know the weight per wheel, look up and use the tire manufacturer's recommended pressure for that load. You get maximum life from your tires that way, even wear across the whole tread and the best grip.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
The tires and RV were new. There was no ware on the tires. The axles were aligned when I got the RV. Pressure checks were done every morning at maximum pressure for the tires. Interestingly the first blew up 4 hours after we pulled into camp and connected not while running on the road. The second blew up at 20 miles per hour just as I pulled up onto highway from side road after driving 80 miles the next morning. The third blew up at 55 MPH and caused a lot of damage to the RV skirt 4 hours later on I 5. I shall weigh the RV once it is fixed. We had minimal weight added to the RV when driving with no black or gray water and 1/3 fresh water in tank. The roads in Califonia are in poor repair and the temperature was about 100. No nails etc. just a bumpy ride at 45-55 MPH.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like china bombs (cheap tires from china used by most RV Manufacturers).
!st, NEVER buy a tire with china as its mfg. I have found ST tires are not as good as LT (lite truck) tires. Others may like ST's.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Yes they were but so are the new ones I got on the road. I cannot find US made tires ST235/80R16E. Good year makes them in China also. Any ideas??
Old 08-03-2014, 06:57 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
If you want to stay with the same size and 80 pound tire-pressure tires, I would recommend going to the Micheline XPS Rib tires. I used them on another trailer that I owned and had no problems. If you want to move up to a higher pressure tire, the Goodyear G-614's will do very well. You can keep the same wheels, if they are rated for 110 pound pressure.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:06 AM   #13

howdy
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #14

You didn't say what size tires you have, but I replaced my TowMax (China) Load Range D tires with Maxxis Load Range E in the same size and inflated them to 75 lbs (80 max) vs the 65 lb max of the old tires. I have put 7,000 miles on them without problem. I ordered mine from Amazon and had them installed locally, but you could look for a dealer near you. Maxxis ST tires are made in Thailand with better quality control than China seems to use.
Trailer tires almost always die due to age rather than tread wear, so I don't think inflating them beyond the weight pressure for your trailer is an issue.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote