Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2014, 04:04 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
New to me FW and Truck.

I am new to this forum. I had been hanging around the vintage rv site. My new to me home is to new for it. I bought a 94 29 foot fleetwood FW. I have a 91 Chevy pickup. Its a 1/2 ton Model. Has 350,V8 and a newer transmission. Having it painted and fixed up for us . The trailer weighs around 7100 full load. And also max weight. Truck can handle 4500 pounds for a slide in. I don't think the pin weight is that heavy. I know the last owner had pulled a 40 footer FW. Thats why i needed a new transmission. I have added new cooler for the trans. Also engine oil cooler. Two after market cooling fans and air-ride on the rear axle. Also put a 4 core radiator in it too. Has a custom interior. The trailer is in really great shape for its age. I will be putting new tires on it when i get the truck finished. I weighted the truck. I have about 200 pds. of stuff for towing in a toolbox up next to the cab. Have a 8 foot bed so i shouldn't have any issues with it being hit by the FW. Along with this i also added a transmission temp gauge. Also a tachometer for it so i don't over rev the engine. Looking at about 12000 pds total. Will weigh it before trips. We fulltime and so everything is in the truck or trailer. Am wondering if i forgot anything? Something i need to check out? Opinions? It is as small as we can live in. Don't want larger as would need a bigger truck. We don't want to get rid of our truck. Thanks, Dan

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2014, 04:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby Dan View Post
I am new to this forum. I had been hanging around the vintage rv site. My new to me home is to new for it. I bought a 94 29 foot fleetwood FW. I have a 91 Chevy pickup. Its a 1/2 ton Model. Has 350,V8 and a newer transmission. Having it painted and fixed up for us . The trailer weighs around 7100 full load. And also max weight. Truck can handle 4500 pounds for a slide in. I don't think the pin weight is that heavy. I know the last owner had pulled a 40 footer FW. You are kidding right? A 40 foot fiver with a 1/2 ton truck. Come on now. If that were even remotely true, the PO would have ruined far more than the transmission. Load carrying capacity on a 91 1500 truck is going to be around 1000 pounds. Thats why i needed a new transmission. I have added new cooler for the trans. Also engine oil cooler. Two after market cooling fans and air-ride on the rear axle. Also put a 4 core radiator in it too. Has a custom interior. The trailer is in really great shape for its age. I will be putting new tires on it when i get the truck finished. I weighted the truck. I have about 200 pds. of stuff for towing in a toolbox up next to the cab. Have a 8 foot bed so i shouldn't have any issues with it being hit by the FW. Along with this i also added a transmission temp gauge. Also a tachometer for it so i don't over rev the engine. Looking at about 12000 pds total. Will weigh it before trips. We fulltime and so everything is in the truck or trailer. Am wondering if i forgot anything? Something i need to check out? Opinions? It is as small as we can live in. Don't want larger as would need a bigger truck. We don't want to get rid of our truck. Thanks, Dan
You have got to be kidding us right??
You just plane do not have enough truck to safely handle a fifth wheel, regardless of what the P.O. told you. The truck might be OK for about a 25 foot travel trailer, anything more is just plane foolish.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:18 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Why not? Is it the truck or ?
Old 03-31-2014, 04:36 PM   #4

What is the trailers GVWR? 9-10K pounds?? Pin weight on a fifth wheel is generally speaking around 20% of the trailers loaded weight. Lacking that information, most people figure it based on the trailers GVWR Your 91 Chevy 1500 series pickup loaded ready to travel scaled weight will have an available payload of maybe 1000 pounds. Meaning that the trailer loaded and connected could more than likely overload the trucks GVWR. Bottom line is generally speaking there are really few 1500 truck trailer combinations that might work. Yous sadly is not one of them.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:05 PM   #5

Dan,
Please listen carefully to Don. You are way overloaded for a 1/2 ton. I seriously doubt your truck can handle 4000 pounds slide in - - my 3500 dually cannot handle that. I do not feel that trailer will have anywhere near 4000 pounds pin weight, but you are going to be over the ability of a 91 one ton to safely handle this trailer. Put that trailer on a scale and weigh it for pin weight and weight on the tires. That weight will put you
over your GVWR and GWR for the truck. Time to listen hard and be safe.

Bob
Old 03-31-2014, 05:29 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
The 4000 pd figure for a slide in was right from the book. I am wondering, Could there be a heavy duty model rthat handled this much or what. The trailer is max rated for 7100 pounds. The truck is around 5000 pds I couldn't get any max ratings but for a slide in. In my book there must have been something done to make it haul that much weight. I am reading this out of the owners manuel. I am wondering if they had a wrong marking for the 1500? Maybe it is a light duty 2500?? I need to go down to Chevy dealer to see if i can find anything else about this model. Dan
Old 03-31-2014, 05:35 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quick question, Do 1/2 ton trucks have overload springs or just 3/4 ton and up models??
Old 03-31-2014, 06:23 PM   #8

You will destroy that truck with that trailer. New 1/2 ton fords which are rated highest for towing and payload are around 3100 payload for a base model with heavy duty package and 11300 towing. Most loaded 1/2 ton trucks are around 1200-1700 Even older 3/4 tons are not rated for that much and no old half ton would come close. Especially not an older Chevy, they are lighter duty because they focus more on ride quality than payload ability. You might get by hauling it to a close seasonal spot and back 2 Times a year if there are no hills and you have towing experience but if you plan to travel much I'd definitively get a smaller trailer or a newer higher rated truck. Most half ton rated 5th wheels are based on base model trucks with no options.

You could find out actual weights and ratings and see how far off you really are. I towed mine at 800 pounds over payload for a while with my 2010 f150 but it has a way better trans than a 91 Chevy. There's no way the pin weight is 4000 pounds but that old of a truck won't have a high payload or towing capacity either.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:37 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yep, I did change the transmission, i put a TH 400 in it instead of the 700R4. I never liked the 700R4's. TH400 are able to tow 20000 pounds. I am not sure if we will have a trip yet or not, but will have it ready in case i need it. Thanks for the input! Dan
Old 03-31-2014, 08:04 PM   #10

Lets look at some numbers on your older 1500 Chevy. They generally have a 6600-6800 GVWR with small semi float rear axles rated at around 3800-3900 lbs. This includes P tires/wheels/springs and brakes.
Over loads springs on a half ton truck are progressive with a heavy single leaf under the main spring pack. Nothing like a aux upper over load spring pack on a 3/4 or one ton truck
Many older 1500 trucks rear axle can weigh in the 2200-2400 lb range which leaves approx 1400 lbs for a payload before popping the P tires or splitting the OEM steel wheels. Generally this happens down the road some miles later when you least expect if.
Now add a 5th wheel hitch and gear over the rear axle and your left with around 1100-1200 lbs for pin weight from the 5er. Trucks carry weight determined by actual scaled separate front and rear axle weights. This eliminates guessing.

There is no 1500 GM trucks current or older models that can handle a 4000 lb payload. Not even '00-'06 1500 HD from GM with a 8600 GVWR and 6000 RAWR with E tires and wheels.

If your trailer truly weighs 7100 lbs and isn't simply a guess then it may have a 1300-1500 lb pin weight.

If you have a std 1500 GM truck you will have to add suspension help with E tires and proper rated wheels.

Any 1500 truck can pull a proper rated 5th wheel trailer.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:56 PM   #11

Your set up has been well used in the 80's and 90's.
The 7000 lbs 5 th wheel was about the top for 1/2 tons equipped with LR C tires. Most heavier unit towed with gas engines would only overheat. So the advantage is the lighter 1/2 tons.
I my area all 1/2 tons are used because of their capacity to be used in areas heavier trucks could not.
That is exactly what I was told when I drove a 4 x 4 3/4 ton.
Now I don' t make the rules but many 1/2 tons do tow heavy trailers as well as any 3/4 tons.
The Fleetwood 5th wheel at 7000 lbs will barely have 1000 lbs pin weight.
They were build for 1/2 tons those days and it was rare to see any thing heavier towing them.
The new units that are well build load only 15% on the pin and can tow like a dream. I have one and love the ride I get.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #12

Right out of my manual for my 1991 1500 with 350 and 3.73 rear axle ratio it lists a max tow weight of 7500 pounds including passengers, fuel and any extra cargo in the truck, not including the empty weight of truck. I can't read the figure for GCWR, but it looks like 1500 pounds. You will be way over that. I would not even consider this combo.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #13

I'll add this: We had a 1995 Silverado 1500, 350 TBI, 3.73s 4x4. We pulled a small no slides 24' Prowler TT (approx 4000-4500 soaking wet) and there we hills that we weren't sure if we would make it to the top.
You're dealing with an older Truck with even less HP and going to put 7500 Lbs behind you, Lots of luck.
And if the original owner dropped a 40' fiver on the back of that truck, he probably would of had reverse curve springs and been sitting frame on the rear axles.

2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote