Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
The EPA is pursuing the diesel tuner manufacturers, especially those with "emissions delete" software that allows removal of the pollution control devices without setting diagnostic trouble codes.

Quote:
Edge Products LLC Settlement

(Washington, DC - January 17, 2013) - In a settlement with the United States on behalf of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, automotive electronics manufacturer Edge Products LLC (Edge) has agreed to pay a $500,000 civil penalty for manufacturing and selling electronic devices that allowed owners of model year 2007 and later diesel pickup trucks to remove emission controls from their vehicles. Diesel trucks that are not equipped with emission controls known as “diesel particulate filters” emit excess particulate matter (PM). When running, trucks without these types of controls leave behind a trail of dark, black smoke. PM is associated with a number of health problems, including respiratory and cardiovascular disease, chronic bronchitis, decreased lung function, and an increased risk of lung cancer.
Since the Smarty tuner was mentioned, here's the statement from MADS Electronics (the manufacturer) regarding emissions delete software:

LINK

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #16

Hi

I did the DPF delete on my Dodge 6.7 and used
The smarty 67 programmer. It made a big difference in power, I kept it at the lowest setting so I didn't run into tranny problems. I towed an Everest 344j 5th wheel that weighed in at just over 12000lbs empty. The power increase was good, MPG. Did Not go up and if it did I sure couldn't tell. The yruck was a 1 ton dually with a 373 gear ratio and I got 10.2 mpg towing the 5er. Everyday mileage was just over 15mpg. Not trying to start a battle here but had an 06 duramax 2500 and towed the same 5er for a year
And got 12.5 MPG. In 06 they didn't have all the smog emissions. I traded the truck in for a dually cause my 5er had too much pin weight and needed the Dually.

Dale M
DaleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #17

On a related subject, I ordered my 08 F350 with the V10 because I didn't like the sorry 6.4 diesel of that era. Any way don't tow much with it and it does what I need when I need it. My 2013 Newmar has a Ford V10 also and after lying under and looking at that big single cat hanging there, I want to take it off and make a boat anchor out of it. Looks pretty simple, and the muffler is on down stream of it. Would I gain any HP and or fuel mileage? If so I would yank it in a heartbeat, but hate to do so for no gain. Had a buddy who left the cat on but removed the muffler and it sounded and ran good, but a little more noise then my old hears want to be exposed to on a daily basis. Probably not legal but so much in life is not.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
You might look and see if you have thermocouple and/or O2 sensors before and after the catalytic converter. If you do, you'll be throwing codes (check engine lights) when you remove the converter as the sensors are there to ensure proper converter operation by varying air/fuel ratio and other engine parameters via the engine's ECM.

With a 2013 coach, you have a Ford powertrain warranty, right? Why exactly would you want to throw that away by tampering with the emissions controls?

Rusty
Old 03-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
You might look and see if you have thermocouple and/or O2 sensors before and after the catalytic converter. If you do, you'll be throwing codes (check engine lights) when you remove the converter as the sensors are there to ensure proper converter operation by varying air/fuel ratio and other engine parameters via the engine's ECM.

With a 2013 coach, you have a Ford powertrain warranty, right? Why exactly would you want to throw that away by tampering with the emissions controls?

Rusty
Rusty you are right it does have a sensor right in the converter it self. I was just thinking and probably won't do nothing for several reasons, and cats are pretty trouble free now days and I probably would not have any noticeable gains anyway. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
I had an '02 GMC 2500 with the Duramax and Allison. There was no emission control on the truck, so I added an Edge tuner. Using the 80hp setting for bobtail and the 40hp for towing, the performance was AMAZING! I loved to drive that truck and surprised several little rice burners. It was a barrel of fun but the black smoke was a dead giveaway to no emissions control.

I now have a Dodge Ram 3500 dually and Cummins. The truck pulls my Landmark trailer very well and I have suffered nothing in towing mileage. Bobtail I get about 1-2 mpg less, but there is no smoke at all and unfortunately, no fun factor either.

I have looked into a tuner with DPF delete but it worries me that the gub'ment may do some type of diesel testing for emission compliance but to me, if they just follow the trucks with black smoke coming out of the exhaust, they will find the violators. I hate to say it, and maybe I'm getting too old to go through the hassle of removing the emission equipment but I don't see doing this right now. I have plenty of power to pull the trailer, no black smoke and mileage I can live with. Now if someone will lower the diesel prices!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
If you run into a problem with the 2009 2500, it will be with pin weight putting you over the truck's GVWR. The short bed of the MegaCab could give you problems with cab-to-5th wheel cap interference when turning or backing as well.

There's no need to chip the 6.7. I tow a 16,000 GVWR 5th wheel with our 350/650 6.7 (same rating as yours), and it has plenty of power for towing. Of course, the 4.10 gears in our truck help, but with a 12,000 GVWR 5th wheel, the 3.73s would work OK.

Rusty
According to all the details I have; the pin weight of the 5er is 2100#.
So this is within the specs of the capability of the 2500.

Gross weight of the 5er is 2100# pin weight; 8050 axle weight.

I ask about the performance improvement opportunities because I want to be able to travel more and pay less.
When I got my hitch, I bought the Pull-Rite Superglide so that I would not have turning interference - thanks to my dealer for steering me that way.
touringmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
If you're toying with the idea of deleting your emissions controls and using a tuner to keep from throwing codes and CELs, you may be disappointed. The EPA has cracked down on the tuner manufacturers and/or suppliers such as H&S, Edge, MADS, etc. with some VERY HEFTY fines and consent agreements that they will no longer sell "delete" tunes in the United States.

Rusty
Old 03-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringmn View Post
So, I am upgrading to a somewhat larger 5er and towing it with a 2009 RAM 2500 Diesel 6.7L Mega Cab.

The 5er is a 2006 29' Excel RV, up there in the 12,000 GVW range. So the Diesel will not struggle with the load at all.

The interior will be dressed up by the woman of the house, I will start to fill a very ample basement.

And there is very little money burning a hole in my pocket so the budget is not limitless.
What is next for long week vacations - 12 hour drives over whatever terrain and weekend trips?
A) chip the diesel - and risk the voided warranty from Dodge - to improve the power and fuel mileage
B) upgrade the pin box - to reduce the chucking. We suffered a lot of that in the first round but suspicion is that the pin weight changes might help.
C) get a generator
D) save the money for emergencies or discovered - "Hey I gotta have that" type of items
E) buy the Good Sam Protection Insurance - some of the several varieties they have been barraging my mailbox with.

Looking for some wisdom from those of you more experienced in this realm.
We have been doing short weekend trips in the past 2 years; but that is going to change this season. We start our travels ahead of the vacationers - in April and stop after they have all gone back to school in Oct. Die Hards - no; but trying to get as much on the RV time as possible.

Looking for your ideas and additional items that should be considered. I have most of the tools already; so that doesn't need to show up on the suggested lists.

Thanks
I towed a 35' open road with a stock 07 2500 mega cab and the only thing I would change is an air -Ryder pin box to smooth out the ride.
chuck123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps