Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2015, 02:42 PM   #1

New to RVing & did it backwards!

We put the proverbial cart before the horse and we just bought a 2016 GD Reflection 303RLS and are now trying to decide between the F350 6.7L CC XLT SWB 6.8 bed 4x4 or the F350 6.7L super cab XLT 8 ft bed 4x4. Wheel base is 156" for the cc and 158" for the super cab. Any opinions...we are leaning towards the CC . Neither have the 5th wheel factory install (but I am told this not a big deal for the RV dealer/itch installer to do?)

I also wanted to hear opinions on if I should get a slider hitch as backing into our driveway will be a close to 90 degree turn. With ditches on both sides We are considering the Hensley (BD3 or TS3). Hensley suggested the BD3....but it has a lower pin weight (3,500) than the TS3 (4,500)...so I am thinking we should go with TS3?

I was only familiar with Reese previously and so the Reese revolution would have been an earlier pick until I read about the air ride. I pull horses too so thought this would be a benefit there as well.

Thoughts / comments / opinions?

Many thanks...this is my first post...I did a lot of searching and reading...just mainly looking for others first hand experience with TS3 from Hensley or Reese revolution?

Anything else I need to consider to have a nice well behaved towing experience. I used to pull 7 years ago with my F350 CC DRW 7.3L and I see that it had a lot more pulling power so I am a little worried. Hubby said no to DRW and the longer wheel base so 158" is the 'max' I can go. We live in NH so 4x4 is a must.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2015, 03:45 PM   #2

Hitch

A couple of thoughts. One if you don't go with dual rear wheels the towing capacity of the f350 is the same as the f250, which is 15900lbs. If you go DW the capacity goes way up.

Second if you tow horses too, I would look at the BW flip over and then the companion hitch. You can then switch back and forth between the two in no time.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #3

I have a F250 CC since it was new in 2000 and there have been two items that I wish I had gotten on the truck - the first one is heated mirrors and the second is I wish I had gotten the crew cab! We went to Kittyhawk for the re-creation of the first flight - my wife and I and our son. That damned extended cab was way too small!

For me, I would get the crew cab with the short bed and get a slider (I have the slider now), the slider I recommend is the Demco Autoslide as it is the only sliding hitch I know of that does not need a 'key' for the pinbox to make it slide, therefore you can pull any 5th wheel by adjusting the 'capture plates'. BTW, the truck in the video is how I want my next truck...crew cab, short bed (with heated mirrors!) and the Autoslide.

Are you saying the 7.3 liter has more pulling power than the current 6.7 liter? That is not the case...the latest engine will out pull the 7.3 while getting much better mileage.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:20 PM   #4

I don't think the F350 and F250 SRW trucks have the same tow capacity, haven't heard that before. The DRW obviously has a lot more but it appears that's not an option. Definitely go with the F350.

As far as hitches go, I just got the TS3 and it's very well built but extremely heavy, around 300 pounds I believe. Just be aware of that if you plan on taking it out of the truck much. I went and bought a 1 ton hoist which makes it pretty easy to move around if needed. Short bed pickup and sharp turn in to the driveway; I'd get a slider. Hensly makes a slider for their hitch but I'm not familiar with it at all. I have the Ford factory 5th wheel prep and personally I wouldn't buy a new Ford without it but it's not that big of a deal to have it installed either. The Hensley Ford adapter is around $550 so if you don't have the Ford 5th wheel prep you wouldn't need it but then it would cost that much or more to install the rails and frame mounts also.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post

Are you saying the 7.3 liter has more pulling power than the current 6.7 liter? That is not the case...the latest engine will out pull the 7.3 while getting much better mileage.

Tim
Thanks Tim....i was saying that a CCD would out pull the SWB (can you tell I wanted the dually?) At least that is what the Ford specs say!
Old 05-01-2015, 05:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post

As far as hitches go, I just got the TS3 and it's very well built but extremely heavy, around 300 pounds I believe. Just be aware of that if you plan on taking it out of the truck much.
I knew it was heavy, but did not realize that heavy. I was thinking to switch the GN horse trailer to a fifth wheel to save switching and take advantage of the air ride for the horses too....I saw an adaptor and the trailer I have says you can do it fairly easily.

I will need to rig something up for when we need the truck bed.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
If you get the 6.5' bed don't get the TS3 or BD3. They do not have front to back adjustments. I have a 6.5' bed and opted for the B&W Companion and set it in rearmost setting. A sliding hitch is another option.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:00 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just make sure you look at the loading sticker on the door sill of the truck to make sure you have at least 3000 pounds of cargo capacity left. your pin weight alone could be 2500 pounds easily plus the hitch, passengers and anything else in the truck.

Doable but life is too short to always worry if you have gone over weight. I would want more capacity. You have already bought the trailer so your only option is to make sure you buy enough truck, duelly or not.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:35 PM   #9

My truck is a F250 because SC on F350 are impossible to find.
Saying this the SC might not be to well suited for best return on trade.
But on the other side of the coin you will find you need the extra room in the bed compared to the cab. After all you will use your truck, unlike some using the bed as a grocery getter.
They both are well capable to be used for camping but the horse trailer may need the long bed for additional supplies.
I sure use mine more than the additional space behind my seat.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #10

Quote:
I don't think the F350 and F250 SRW trucks have the same tow capacity, haven't heard that before.
Fords F250/F350 SRW diesel power have always had the same tow ratings as their the same truck...exception being the SRW has a higher rear spring package and maybe higher rated tires and wheels although the the SRW tires and wheel s are a option or part of a package on the F250.
Check it out
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas.../techspec.html
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractorqueen View Post
I knew it was heavy, but did not realize that heavy. I was thinking to switch the GN horse trailer to a fifth wheel to save switching and take advantage of the air ride for the horses too....I saw an adaptor and the trailer I have says you can do it fairly easily.

I will need to rig something up for when we need the truck bed.
I'm not sure of the exact weight but it's definitely heavy but made like a tank. The adapter isn't light either but you wouldn't need that without the factory prep. Shipping weight was listed as 90 pounds for the adapter and like all of their stuff it's built like a tank also. We are going on a long trip in June so I will definitely know how I like the TS3 after towing with it for a couple thousand miles. After having owned both the long bed and short bed Super Duty trucks I prefer the long bed. I don't have to worry about hitting the cab and I like the non sliding hitches better.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Fords F250/F350 SRW diesel power have always had the same tow ratings as their the same truck...exception being the SRW has a higher rear spring package and maybe higher rated tires and wheels although the the SRW tires and wheel s are a option or part of a package on the F250.
Check it out
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas.../techspec.html
I know the difference in the two trucks and while it's not a lot of difference the F350 has a higher tow capacity, at least from what I've read and seen it does. But, for the same price the few hundred pounds may be the difference between being overweight and not overweight. Not trying to argue at all, but I think the F350 has a higher tow capacity and for a 5th wheel every pound matters. I'm not referring to GCWR but the Rear GAWR is a little higher on the F350 SRW, around 900 pounds higher (2nd link)
2015 Ford Super Duty | View Towing Specifications | Ford.com
http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty...ions/view-all/
Old 05-02-2015, 03:51 PM   #13

unless you really need do not get 4x4 do get crew cab and duals capacity goes way up on f350 also make sure it has exhaust rake install it will help on hills
Old 05-02-2015, 05:56 PM   #14

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
You did it right. Now that you have a trailer you have facts to base the tow vehicle selection on. If you get the truck first and you dont know what you are going to tow with it its like taking a trip and not knowing where you are going. Read the tow specs from ford to select a vehicle that will handle the trailer. 4X4 isnt needed for rving. An 8 ft bed with a regular hitch will keep the trailer from hitting the back of the cab. A slider hitch will keep you from hitting the back of the cab with a short bed, only a matter of time without th slider.

Tags
rving