Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Jayco Owners Club
New towing set up.

Ok so I bought a newer truck a few weeks ago, and just had the 5th wheel rails put in and I hooked up to the new truck and put the camper and truck on the road on level ground to see how it looks, and the camper sits level, the truck squats a little bit, which is normal.

I measured how much space I have between the bed rails and the camper, and I have 4.5 inches. I still have 1 more row of holes I can utilize to raise the hitch if needed. Should I put it all the way up to the top?
I want to say I had either the same amount or just a tad bit more on my old truck, I would rather have more space than less, but I have never had a problem before, but would raising the front of the camper hurt anything, as it is, it sits perfectly level.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2013, 06:21 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
If it sits level and you can maneuver around without grinding the paint off the bed or damaging the camper then it's good. If you want to try it just move it to the last holes and see how the set up looks all you can lose is a few hrs of time moving the pin box around might work out better you never know till you try it.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:49 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Jayco Owners Club
My driveway where I park it, I have to back it up a hill over a sidewalk, then back up another hill, then into the yard which my truck is still backing up a hill, my camper is going down a hill then it twists to the right while my truck is leaning to the left, I could tell that it was a tad lower than my other truck because there were a couple "holy crap" moments where it came within probably half inch of touching.

I may just try moving it up to the last holes, I would rather have more than none, but I dont want the camper to sit nose high. I'm not sure if that would cause any problem or not with weight.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I think you can raise the hitch a couple of inches and the bubble will hardly move as far as level goes. At any rate many 5ers, including mine, are slightly nose high. IMO you have more potential for problems with only 4 1/2" clearance than you would from being slightly nose high.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
I think you can raise the hitch a couple of inches and the bubble will hardly move as far as level goes. At any rate many 5ers, including mine, are slightly nose high. IMO you have more potential for problems with only 4 1/2" clearance than you would from being slightly nose high.
Hmm well I guess I have my self a project for the near future. I only have one more set of holes to raise up so we will see what hapens there.
The king pin on the camper is on the lowest setting it will go I believe.
Other than that camping season is right around the corner!!!
Old 03-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
Jayco Owners Club
Well I just tried to get the bolts out of the hitch to raise it, and I was successful on getting 1 of them lose, they are on so tight that I actually started to round one of the nuts off with the wrench. I sprayed some lube on it, and maybe I will have to heat it up a little bit to get it off
Old 03-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #7

#1, if you have to heat those bolts, DO NOT re-use them.
#2 as soon as possible, weigh your rig, in particular the truck rear axle.
98 /25' 5th wheels would have too much pin weight to be 1/2 ton towable.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I don't agree with anyone who says it's okay to tow a trailer when the floor of the trailer is not level front to rear. Adjustments of the hitch or pin box are to help you get the trailer level, not to increase clearance between truck and trailer. If you have less than 6" clearance between the top of the bedrails and the underside of the 5er overhang, then you need to either lower the truck or raise the trailer.

The most common way to raise most trailers is to move the spring perches from below the trailer axles to over the axles. That will gain you about 4" additional clearance.

If you have an expensive trailer with Dexter TorFlex axles, then Dexter makes a kit that will raise the trailer a few inches.
Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - #10 Torflex Lift Kit (K71-707-02)
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #9

Looking for truck to pull a 5th wheel any help would be highly appreciated.
Bob Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Andrews View Post
Looking for truck to pull a 5th wheel any help would be highly appreciated.
welcome eh!!
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You want the trailer to be as level as possible when hitched. you also want 6" between the bed and the trailer, you might get by with 5" but no less. If it means lifting the trailer with axles spacers, so be it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
I don't agree with anyone who says it's okay to tow a trailer when the floor of the trailer is not level front to rear. (K71-707-02)[/url]
Smokey,
What harm do you feel will be done to the rig if you are 1 or 2" nose high? And what is level? I can raise my pin 2 inches and the bubble will hardly move on a 24" level over a 33' length.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
Smokey,
What harm do you feel will be done to the rig if you are 1 or 2" nose high?
Brakes on the TV and trailer won' work as good when the trailer is not level. And in emergency conditions, the trailer won't follow the TV as good so you could more easily lose control of the rig.

Quote:
And what is level? I can raise my pin 2 inches and the bubble will hardly move on a 24" level over a 33' length.
You should use a 4' carpenter's level to level the trailer front to rear. If you have to raise the low end of the 4' level more than a quarter to a half of an inch to make the bubble dead center, you are not level enough.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Additionally, if you nose high, you will place more load on the rear axle and if nose low, more load on the front axle.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing