Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2005, 09:52 AM   #1

We just picked up our new Frontier this past Saturday. The one question I have (ok, I'll probably have more) is how to get rid of that new trailer "chemical" smell? I know its from the fabrics, plastic, etc., but with our heat out here in AZ, I couldn't be in it for more than 10 minutes this morning because my throat & eyes were burning.

2 Boys
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2005, 09:52 AM   #2

We just picked up our new Frontier this past Saturday. The one question I have (ok, I'll probably have more) is how to get rid of that new trailer "chemical" smell? I know its from the fabrics, plastic, etc., but with our heat out here in AZ, I couldn't be in it for more than 10 minutes this morning because my throat & eyes were burning.

2 Boys
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:57 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Not what you want to hear in the Arizona heat, but the only way I'm aware of to hasten the process is to open it up and air it out. The chemical smell is from "outgassing" as the volatile compounds used in the construction of the RV release their vapors.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:06 PM   #4

If it's anything like mine, at 3 years old it still smells new. You could let your black tank overfill. That'll cover the smell of anything new for sure.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:59 PM   #5

That darn Rusty's right AGAIN!!

Our WW SLC is over 2 months old now, and it's just something you need to get used to for a while. Opening up the coach and letting it aire, even as you drive down the road, is the only way we've been able to combat the smell so the Co2 sensor doesn't wail away (actually had to have it replaced- I had to unhook it about 2 weeks into it because it just when bonkers).

It'll get better, trust me!!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:53 PM   #6

....unless you are allergic to the fumes....open it up and put a fan blowing through it for a week or two in the sun....should do it! If allergic get rid of the dam thing asap....people have died from resp. failure because of allergic reaction to formaldhyde[sp].....geofkaye
Old 09-01-2005, 03:08 AM   #7

This worked in a new mobile home: fill the bathtub,sink, lavatory with water and leave it for a few days. The water absorbed the odors.
txntrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 05:53 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Mine smelled too when we first got it back in May. Open it up and air it out. We still have a slight smell, but it is much better now.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 07:12 AM   #9

Febreeze.

Will help for a while. Air it out.
Jumbo Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 06:05 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Rusty and others are right. Just like a car, new fabrics, vinyls, ect.need to be aired out. What we do,is pour some Fabuloso or Pinesol in the sink drains. It will not only clean the drain traps but the rig will smell good. Just pick the flavor or smell you like.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote